FT Simple Cub....already building my 2nd ;)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Added tailwheel with a 3d print from thingiverse...
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:779459
I had to sink it into the body a bit so that the pivot was inline with the tail hinge line, this ensures it won't bind.
I used 1mm piano wire to support the wheel.
IMG_20180528_115005366.jpg IMG_20180528_115012402_HDR.jpg
Caroline

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Ok.... finished...weight is a portly 675gm excluding the battery. Ouch!!! 50gm heavier than the 1st one :(
IMG_20180530_191604086.jpg IMG_20180530_191559903.jpg

Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
nice shade of red there Caroline....how did you make it heavier ?
I really don't know!!! I was very unhappy about the pushrods in the 1st flexing under load so ran them in some carbon fibre tubes - that added a little and I also added a card top deck between the wing and the tail as the original looked really scrappy. This foam board I can get is so difficult to separate the paper and foam. I guess I just was heavy handed with hot glue, and paint - the fluorescent orange paint did not cover well. And this time round I sealed the plane with a polyurethane brush on coat (UK equivalent to minwax) and that I think is where most of the extra weight over the first came from. If I use the big battery, the flying weight will be 933gm - just shy of 2 lbs.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Now I've added the undercarriage and for good measure, moved the servos forward a little, I'm pretty much balanced with the 1500mAh 3S. As a certain Matt from Bristol might say..."Happy Days!"
:)

Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Noticed the prop was wobbling a bit on the shaft. Blooming prop adaptor broken so a trip to the model shop needed tomorrow if this super cub II will maiden on Sunday!
IMG_20180601_184653251.jpg

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
good catch. better now than.... :eek:

had a guy at the field this morning have his prop fly off in the air. thought his battery had died. when we got to the "landing site," first thing i noticed was, "hey you ain't got no prop." he walked around the dez for quite awhile and still had no luck finding the front cone and prop. kinda funny because i warned him about another one of his planes last week that had a bad prop collar.

flew my cubby today again 2x's. it really is just fun and relaxing. the touch and goes are just epically easy and consistent. have the flaperon settings just about nailed. every time i fly it i get comments on it's looks and presence. for such a simple plane, i love it.

wishing you the best for your maiden. good luck!

laters,

me :cool:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member

had a guy at the field this morning have his prop fly off in the air. thought his battery had died. when we got to the "landing site," first thing i noticed was, "hey you ain't got no prop." he walked around the dez for quite awhile and still had no luck finding the front cone and prop. kinda funny because i warned him about another one of his planes last week that had a bad prop collar.

flew my cubby today again 2x's. it really is just fun and relaxing. the touch and goes are just epically easy and consistent. have the flaperon settings just about nailed. every time i fly it i get comments on it's looks and presence. for such a simple plane, i love it.

laters,

I hope my cub not only flies well but I get to that relaxing zone....that's the beauty of flying that I'm missing!!
C

Ken Myers

laters,

Any possibility of getting video of your touch and goes?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i already have my lineup charged for today but will throw the cubby in tomorrow. i have a crappy wing cam that i will try and catch some video with.

laters,

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
I hope my cub not only flies well but I get to that relaxing zone....that's the beauty of flying that I'm missing!!
C
The relaxation thing will happen at some point, guaranteed. I though I was doomed to a crash every couple of flights and would never learn. Then I noticed that my crashes were all the result of trying to save a bad landing (instead of trying again), flying with too much wind, or trying to rush to get in the air and forgetting things like sunglasses, hats with bills and flying where the sun was in my face all the time. Steep learning curve for some, but certainly not unmanageable.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Maiden complete but not without a small incident. Like the Mighty Mustang I asked a more experienced pilot called John from the flying club (Yes, I've joined a local flying club!!) to maiden the Simple Cub in case I had made a horrible job of the setup. Video of the takeoff and the fist minute and a half of flying. I stopped videoing as I wanted to watch the plane directly, not through a screen.
All went well untill it came to the landing and ooops! broke the undercarriage mount, just a bit of torn foamboard, no biggy!
I got out my tape and did a temporary fix for my first ever flight. Takeoff, circuits and a landing by yours truly :)
I cut the flight short a little as I could feel the nerves building up a bit.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Any possibility of getting video of your touch and goes?

as requested. far from the most interesting or exciting video i have ever produced but i sure had fun flying the Cubby today. took it up 2x, each for just about 7 mins. battery (3S-1300) was still @ 11.4v so i bumped timer up to 10. very happy with my flaperon settings, they are totally not needed but a nice little gimmick.

also took out the Bushwacky and did an exact copy of the Cubby video, don't think you guys want to watch me do another 8mins of touch and go's though. :rolleyes:

don't ask about the tree color, i have no idea why they are purple. even imovie could get the purple out of them. cheap HK wing cam... :poop::cautious::LOL:

laters,

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I'm still trying to get the nerves out of my system....I will get there and have the confidence to try touch and goes!
Purple trees I'm guessing is because your camera lacks an IR filter.
C

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
C

Hmmm... my first experience with the relaxing zone of RC flight came with my first sailplane flight on a Calypso. Nice build and hope the flights are relaxing!