• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

FT Simple Scout V-Tail Edition

jpot1

Well-known member
#1
I love my simple scout and recently was looking at the new Durafly Bonanza v-tail and thought I could definitely build that. First step, I figured I would take a proven fuselage setup and work on converting it as I had never built a v-tail before.

Design came together very quickly, stretched the front fuse a little bit, lowered the wing slot, adjusted the rear to take the vtail and support it fully.

Beauty shot:
file-2.jpeg

Flight video

Plans:
 

Attachments

jpot1

Well-known member
#6
Great job!!!
Are you going to change up the poster board if it flies good?
It flew so well, I hate to mess with it especially as now I've got to build your L-39 - which looks amazing.
I will probably make the fuse a little longer as it balanced with only a 1300 3s up front and I'd like it to use my 2200's. Will also change up the front possibly as a hatch so I can get a battery closer to the CG.
 

PoorManRC

Well-known member
#8
That's Creative!! (y)(y)
I'm still relatively new... but I'm looking to dive Right in, as soon as I'm able. Ideas like this are conducive to my cause, because I've been building Models and in RC Ground Vehicles for over 37 years...

I'm not interested in in Building Box Stock, since I'm only new at RC Flight.
One of my first scratchbuilds is the MM Scout. Ideas like yours is exactly what I need for inspiration. Thanks!! :cool:
 

jpot1

Well-known member
#11
you got any better pics of the tail mount setup?... why the notches on the tail and the base plate?
I wanted to make sure the tail was secured fully to the fuse so I made a vertical piece (upper left in the plans) that I inserted into the bottom of the vtail and that also tabs into the bottom plate. Helped with alignment and strength. Make sense?
 

jfaleo1

Junior Member
#12
What angle did you use on the "V"? 110 degrees is generally considered optimum and yours looks close, plus the video shows it being pretty stable as far as I can tell. Actual Bonanza was too flat which makes it a bit of a squirrel in yaw, 90 degrees makes it too pitch sensitive.
 

jpot1

Well-known member
#13
What angle did you use on the "V"? 110 degrees is generally considered optimum and yours looks close, plus the video shows it being pretty stable as far as I can tell. Actual Bonanza was too flat which makes it a bit of a squirrel in yaw, 90 degrees makes it too pitch sensitive.
Yes, I used 110.
 

donalson

Active member
#15
I wanted to make sure the tail was secured fully to the fuse so I made a vertical piece (upper left in the plans) that I inserted into the bottom of the vtail and that also tabs into the bottom plate. Helped with alignment and strength. Make sense?
OK... I missed that portion... that answers a lot of other questions... like depth and such... did you still notch the sides of fuse where the V tail meets similar to how FT did for the sparrow (to maximize surface area for gluing on)? this has me thinking about trying V tails on a bloody wonder or brit.

I dig the design... looks like a much more simple build than some other options... may have to give it a shot :)
 

jpot1

Well-known member
#16
OK... I missed that portion... that answers a lot of other questions... like depth and such... did you still notch the sides of fuse where the V tail meets similar to how FT did for the sparrow (to maximize surface area for gluing on)? this has me thinking about trying V tails on a bloody wonder or brit.

I dig the design... looks like a much more simple build than some other options... may have to give it a shot :)
A few pics that should help. Basically with the tail flat I glued in the bottom vertical piece. I then folded the tail based on the gauge in the plans and glued along the seam. This locks the “v” together with the vertical piece.

The fuse is typical B folds with the bottom plate that has two notches for the bottom of the vertical piece. After the fuse is glued I then cut out a portion of the top plate (blue reference line on plans). The v tail then drops in with glue on the bottom of the vertical and where it meets the fuse.

I think it ended up looking pretty good and it’s very strong. I lucked out in that the servos fit perfectly and butted up against the v tail vertical piece.


C047D9B1-D86E-4A9C-A90B-3C46A0EB3AAB.jpeg

61F860FE-CDE4-4415-B795-262339197682.jpeg
 

jpot1

Well-known member
#17
Working on the next variation. Made the fuse taller so the wing will pass through slots in the fuse. Didn’t like the bottom of the wing getting beat up when landing with v1.

Also going to add a hatch over the wing so hopefully a 2200 3s will fit.

Won’t have time to build but if someone wants beta plans, pm me.
 

bracesport

Well-known member
#18
I'm keen to try this too! I'm in trainer mode with my son and I love 'V' tails like the rest of them. I have just about finished building two TTs, one for the bro in law and one for my son, but I have enough foam board left over so now I'm considering a TT with a 'V' tail!