FT Simple Stick Video ( Slow Stick S250 )

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

For anyone that has missed the latest FT video, here you go. This video is about the FT version of the Horizon Hobby's Simple stick. Enjoy ! :cool:

RossFPV

Hi Everyone,

For anyone that has missed the latest FT video, here you go. This video is about the FT version of the Horizon Hobby's Simple stick. Enjoy ! :cool:

This video got me inspired to fix up my old simple stick, re-maidened it last night and despite having 3 out 4 control surfaces warped it flew great after some trimming. Even got another flight this morning with loops,rolls, a little inverted and poor attempt at hovering. The FT simple stick is awsome.👍

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

Just want you guys to know that I have received an email today (04/19) with the info about The Simple Stick. You need to log in your FTCA portal. Look at the perks section and follow the instructions. Have fun building. :):cool:

joelspangler

OK, I found/downloaded the plans, but was hoping there would be a bit more information. I haven't looked at arrows for a long time, but I remember there being different lengths and shaft thicknesses. Was hoping to know for sure which specific type to get. Was also hoping for some guidance of spacing for the general area that each of the 3d printed parts would attach to something like "The wing starts at 6 inches from nose". I'm grateful for a free plan as a FTCA member, but it seems like I will need a little additional information to be able to complete this project.

ACE62

I agree with lack of information. How large is the arrow shaft, how long, where is everything placed on the shaft, etc... Thank you for the plans, but maybe this information was assumed or simply overlooked.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
The openings for the shaft used to build the Slow Stick S250 are 7 mm. Just get something close and go from there. It's a pretty simple plane.

Last edited:

alan0043

Hi Guys,

I just want to though out this idea. Maybe start a build thread. It could help the young people building their first plane and also have a successful flight.

Foamforce

Regarding wing location on the shaft, here’s my guess. The exact position probably doesn’t matter that much. Closer to the nose would make it a little more stable, since it increases the distance from the trailing edge to the stabs. I’ll probably just eyeball it and make it look similar to the video and then move the battery around to balance. Alternately, I could put the battery where I want it and move the wing around until it balances, as long as that doesn’t put it too close to the tail.

Does that check out?

Hoomi

Master member
Carbon fiber arrows are a standard diameter.
Maybe they used to be, but now they are available in several different diameters. There were at least three different diameters available at the Walmart where I bought mine.

Hoomi

Master member
Regarding wing location on the shaft, here’s my guess. The exact position probably doesn’t matter that much. Closer to the nose would make it a little more stable, since it increases the distance from the trailing edge to the stabs. I’ll probably just eyeball it and make it look similar to the video and then move the battery around to balance. Alternately, I could put the battery where I want it and move the wing around until it balances, as long as that doesn’t put it too close to the tail.

Does that check out?
That's what I did on mine. I left the wing mountings loose until I had the nose and tail assemblies complete, put the electronics on, including the battery, and adjusted the position of the wing until the CG was right. Once I had the position, and made sure the wing was properly aligned with the tail surfaces, I secured it with some CA glue.

alan0043

That's what I did on mine. I left the wing mountings loose until I had the nose and tail assemblies complete, put the electronics on, including the battery, and adjusted the position of the wing until the CG was right. Once I had the position, and made sure the wing was properly aligned with the tail surfaces, I secured it with some CA glue.

A friend of mine told me that is how he would build the plane. Move the wing with all the electronics installed to find the CG. Then glue the wing parts in place. Thank you Hoomi so much for your insights and technical help.

Last edited:

Gilwo

Carbon fiber arrows are a standard diameter.
The arrow I bought at Walmart would not fit through the 3D printed parts. I had to use a 9/32 drill clamped into a vice and very slowly and carefully ream the holes larger to fit my arrow.