FT Simple Storch - BUILD

Bayboos

The page you linked says:

"This motor is equivalent to an E-flite Park 370, AXI 2208/34, or Turnigy 28-26"

It's hard to believe the Turnigy part, since HobbyKing states it can put out up to 200W; but cosider this: I already metioned (few times) that I made it to fly the Storch on 80W hexTronik 24g motor (see my post in this thread, 5 posts ago). Your motor will definitely work at least as good, more likely better - perhaps something like Tgy 2822. You can see the Storch powered by 2822 in another of my articles: Winter Swappables Part 1: Skis.

Bottom line: it should be flyable, but not much aerobatic. If you are looking for trainer plane, you should be good to go.

flyboa

Elite member
As described in the linked article, hexTronik 24g, powered by 1600mAh 3s, swinging GWS 8x4 Slow Fly prop gave me over 20 minutes of flight. 1300mAh will last a bit shorter, but that should not matter much - it's difficult to keep it flying that long and not get tired (or bored) :D
I like to build light and the 24g motor is very nice. My big glider flew great. My next build will be a Storch.

gabrielete

Will it fly? Let's see next saturday! :D
storch.jpg

gabrielete

It flew well, really impressive, it's easier to fly than my Old Fogey!! but I have a noob problem with the linkage-stoppers. The problem is that the nuts go loose while flying becouse of the movement and get lost.

I directly connect the linkage to the servo arm, with a nut and a washer. What do I do wrong?

This morning I had to land without the rudder and only with one aleiron :D

CAM00184.jpg CAM00186.jpg

gabrielete

Beautiful paint! Did you use an airbrush or rattle can?

Thanks a lot! :D

Airbrush with Tamiya Acrilic Paint + Alcohol directly to foamboard, no waxing at all. Tamiya paints +alcohol dry instantly with the foam paper and have a matt texture very convenient to military schemes.

Letters and simbols with Vallejo paints and brush.

Last edited:

ClearSkiesCalmWinds

The automotive thread lock product (Blue) liquid on the threads. Let it set a little, then thread nut on. Or just a dab (drop) of hot glue after the nut is on works for me.

whiskeyjack

If your issue is the nuts backing off then use a drop of "Removable Thread Locker". I don't know if you can "Locktite" products in Spain but "Locktite Blue" would do the trick. Another trick, a drop of hot glue on the thread behind the nut will stop it from backing off too. WJ.

gabrielete

If your issue is the nuts backing off then use a drop of "Removable Thread Locker". I don't know if you can "Locktite" products in Spain but "Locktite Blue" would do the trick. Another trick, a drop of hot glue on the thread behind the nut will stop it from backing off too. WJ.

Thanks a lot!

Yes, that brand is sold in Spain. But i'll try first to use hot glue. Let's be cheap first!

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
make sure your linkage stopper is able to turn on the servo arm or on the control horn which ever way you attach it

flyboa

Elite member
Maiden

This is a nice flyer. I built this very light... no need for flaps.

Attachments

• IMAG0691.jpg
    IMAG0691.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

gabrielete

@flyboa That plane is so elegant. I love it.

By the way, guys. How many of you had to put a bamboo stick to join the two sides of the elevator. The join seems so weak...

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with how FT designs the elevator, the foam between the rudder is comically thin and always wears out fast. With the huge surfaces on tr Storch you need even more support here than normal so I made mine almost 2 inches wide.

flyboa

Elite member
Wow, impressive how light and floaty it seems to be. Did you take any measures to cut weight?

I did not build for strength only light. No spar in wing and most of the paper removed. Where hot glue was not needed I used Beacon Fabri-Tac glue. 24 gram motor and a 3S 460mA battery. I was surprised how easy it lifted off on that first flight.

WilberMaker

Starting my build of the Storch. I will be using a low KV Cobra motor with a long can. A Power Pod would make it stick out to far of the nose. I am wanting to build in a firewall for the fuselage in place of using a Power Pod. Is there any thrust angles on the firewall of the Storch I should build in?

Bayboos

Few pages ago, pblommendaal posted this picture:

I don't believe you will find anything better. Here's the LINK to the original post.

WilberMaker

Thanks Bayboos. That is just what I was looking for! Statrted reading on the first page in the forum and have not made it that far yet.