FT Simple Storch - BUILD

WilberMaker

Converted the Storch PDF into CAD and built up a model to make angle measurements. The Power Pod maybe 1 sheet DTFB lower in the fuse than I am showing but that should not change the angles. I have not built the plane yet can someone who has confirm these measurements?

Edit: After starting the build I found I had the fold wrong on the motor cover. That changed the angle of the Power Pod a little. Corrected the drawing.

Attachments

• FT-Storch-plans-Model.pdf
    11.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

flyboa

Elite member
Wow, impressive how light and floaty it seems to be. Did you take any measures to cut weight?

This one came in at only 285g(10 oz) AUW with a 3S 460mA battery. The park 250 motor was also used in my mini scout.

Attachments

• IMAG0698.jpg
    IMAG0698.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hey guys,

Well. after my mum was so nice to buy me 4 sheets of westfoam, (its all we can get here in the uk)

I decided to build my second in the swapable range, first was the versa now its the storch.

here she is :)

IMG_20150324_104601.jpg

IMG_20150324_104547.jpg

IMG_20150324_104536.jpg

Its kinda a medic theme, but its more there for orientational purposes.
AUW is 1.1lb 0.2lb over the FT Data sheet. but for west foam, thats pretty good.

The wheels came from the PZ BF-109 which died a horrible death, so i thought what better :)

I built here with Flaperons, and LE slats.
The maiden didnt go too well, she was banking left constantly, so i removed the LE Slats, and that improved it alot.

Then i found out she really does not need flaperons, for a few reasons i decided to go back to a simple Y-Harness.

Firstly there was a little difference between the ailerons, i think this was more a mixing problem. But since i have changed it, it now flies fantastically. I cant believe for such a large bird, she really can fly slow.

so now i have 2 swapables, :) and love them both, now to stock up on MORE batteries, 3s 1800s for the storch, and a new recommended motor, (as i used the 2000kv on her, i think i will get much better results going to a 1000 - 1100 kv with a 9x4.5SF prop )

but now.... whats next to build in the fantastic swapable line.

Fantastic plane, and a fantastic flier.

Tony.

T-Richard

Impressive. Are you at altitude as well?

Makes me think I have no reason not to build one, all I had was a 2822 1450kv... seems overkill now doesn't it

i was not, as i had a hard ceiling of 500ft, i try to keep it below tree level for safety.
but it was about 1/2 a mistake high when i applied the flaps, and tbh, its really not needed. she will, and can fly slow enough with out them :)

but 1450kv with the right prop, this could be a nice bird to fly, as she can handle speed really well, as josh said, the flight envelope for this bird is big, well, i have found it to be more like the grand canyon....

Strix

I maidened my Storch last night.

For weeks I've been telling myself that the 370-size motor will be sufficient... but it really isn't. She's underpowered and slightly tail heavy. Both conditions will be fixed when I swap in a power pod with a larger, more powerful motor.

It flew pretty well, despite the lack of power and balance. It really likes a little rudder in the turns. Once I get it balanced and powered correctly, it will make a first-class trainer.

20150324_175317-1.jpg

Bayboos

I maidened my Storch last night.
View attachment 43616

CONGRATULATIONS! And wonderful paint job btw :)

For weeks I've been telling myself that the 370-size motor will be sufficient... but it really isn't. She's underpowered and slightly tail heavy. Both conditions will be fixed when I swap in a power pod with a larger, more powerful motor.

It depends on what do you expect to achieve. As far as I could find on the internet, 370-size motor is approx. 200w power, 50g weight; right? From my experience, it's a bit too much for a trainer. My storch was powered by 24g hexTronik (80w); and it flew perfectly fine, exactly how the trainer plane should fly; without any problems with balance. You may find more details HERE

It really likes a little rudder in the turns. Once I get it balanced and powered correctly, it will make a first-class trainer.

100% agreed :D

Strix

CONGRATULATIONS! And wonderful paint job btw :)

Thanks!

It depends on what do you expect to achieve. As far as I could find on the internet, 370-size motor is approx. 200w power, 50g weight; right? From my experience, it's a bit too much for a trainer. My storch was powered by 24g hexTronik (80w); and it flew perfectly fine, exactly how the trainer plane should fly; without any problems with balance. You may find more details HERE

The motor I have is only 100-120 watts, and about 36g. I had high hopes after watching your videos that this would be enough, but I feel that it isn't. I would like a new pilot to able to fly it in a breeze, and with the current power system that is difficult. And most videos that other people have posted see the Storch leaping off the ground in a couple of feet, in true STOL style. Mine requires a take-off roll, LOL.

As for the balance issues, I think I have a fair bit more paint than you do. And paint will definitely move the CG back, since most of it gets added aft. She was 850g all up (2200 batt) before painting and decorating. It gained about 30 grams in paint and decals, with another 15 or so added behind the motor to try and re-balance it. Now at 896g all up... so I've got a couple ounces of weight on you too. It really does need a slightly bigger motor. The NTM 2826 motor I use in all my other FT models should be perfect.

Last edited:
my storch was tail heavy. so i have now added some accent pieces.

these come in the form of de-pleated rechargable batteries, wrapped in black electrical tape, then hot glues onto the nose like giant silencers.

this has moved the cg back to the correct position, :) plus they look cool.

flyboa

Elite member
I lightened up my Storch now it is 235g AUW w/2S 300mA battery and no landing gear. After a 6 min slow flight it only need 100mA to recharge the battery. Nice

Last edited:
Wow. i would try slope soaring her :) with how slow you can fly, im sure the smallest of updrafts from any slope will give her plently of air time. :)

A_Sladden

Winter Flyer
So with the weather finally getting above 0*C and melting the snow up here I decided it was time to make wheels for my Storch. I am still loving this plane and when I retire this Storch I am definitely making another! Still getting used to flying planes instead of quads, when I was out last time I just practiced: takeoff, landing, and taxing.

Happy flying, A. Sladded

11051851_10152683418846104_631594625079668720_n.jpg 10347501_10152683418801104_8937092365511250835_n.jpg 11110183_10152683418701104_3515773803918563232_n.jpg 11150593_10152683418661104_4288962528972800084_n.jpg

McGuffyGuffy

Simpleton Storch

Hi guys, here's a couple of pics of mine. It went together after a couple of evenings (long ones) and quite a bit of tweaking afterwards.
I absolutely love this thing and fly it all the time now. My E-Flite Apprentice is feeling very left out of things.

It has a Hobbyking Donkey 810kv 3511 , one of those combo packs complete with 30A ESC for about AU$17. I have flown it on my 3S 2200mAh batteries and found that it likes to be quite nose-heavy , and with a decent bit of rudder mix and mechanical differential aileron set it is a great flyer. I've just got some Zippy 3000mAh batteries , and these being longer and a tad heavier will bring the COG exactly right .

I found it needs the most minimal amount of throttle and I have learned to be careful with the ground handling as it will get airborne at the slightest provocation while taxiing and turning.

The only things done which differ from the build video are ;-

Carbon fiber pins to replace the wing retaining skewers - it's impossible to get Aviation grade BBQ skewers here and I didn't fancy the wings detaching in flight.

Wing locating pins into PVC fuel pipe sockets at the leading edge and a popsicle stick cut to a point locating in a V-notch at the trailing edge.

Carbon fiber tail-skid - broke the bamboo many times.

FY40 3-axis gyro - I find these really help my newbie flying and help to keep flying in the usually windy conditions here in Perth.

Beefed-up undercarriage wires with rubber band springing to survive some of my landings.

It's also the clipped-wing version now - after a spectacular cartwheel I just cut the damaged tips back by an inch - still flies fine and easier to get in the wagon. It is also incredibly tough! I found that out doing the maidening flights :)

BTW- despite having rotated these pics they seem determined to display upside down. Can not find any way to rotate them??

Attachments

• IMG_0349.JPG
    IMG_0349.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0350.JPG
    IMG_0350.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Hi Storch lovers!
Here are a few pics of my new storch build. I have yet to maiden it as I was waiting on a new Tx battery. It arrived...the day I was going out of town on business! :(
I'm thinking on adding an FT Mustang like nose hatch primarily so I can move my battery a little further forward without having to attach it to the power pod with velcro. Gonna have to add that after I get home. Calm Skies!

Attachments

• Storch5.jpg
    Storch5.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Storch4.jpg
    Storch4.jpg
    733.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Storch3.jpg
    Storch3.jpg
    625.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Storch2.jpg
    Storch2.jpg
    659.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Storch Bottom.jpg
    Storch Bottom.jpg
    1,011.2 KB · Views: 23

T-Richard

Hi Storch lovers!
Here are a few pics of my new storch build. I have yet to maiden it as I was waiting on a new Tx battery. It arrived...the day I was going out of town on business! :(
I'm thinking on adding an FT Mustang like nose hatch primarily so I can move my battery a little further forward without having to attach it to the power pod with velcro. Gonna have to add that after I get home. Calm Skies!

That looks amazing. is it decals or did you print and adhere the paper to the foamboard?

Great job!

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
That looks amazing. is it decals or did you print and adhere the paper to the foamboard?

Great job!

Thanks T-Richard!
I took the FT PDF plans into Photoshop and made some art that would fit each part of a FT Speed build kit. I then printed them on 13X30 sheets of tissue paper. That was then attached to each part using 3M spray adhesive. This one done before any hot glue building was done so all the pieces were nice and flat making the application easier. It was then pretty much a regular build process. I did have a separate piece for the top of the wing with the windshield to cover the seam of the wing. After that was complete, a hit it with some Minwax Polycrylic to "seal the deal".