FT Simple Storch - BUILD

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Thanks for all the kind comments guys. I'm very happy with the results. I have yet to weigh it to see what weight penalty I might have added but I think it should manage ok as long as I watch my CG.
As for other FT planes, I'm close to finishing a set of P51 tissue coverings. Don't know if I'll have it done by Flight Fest but we will see.

Rasterize

Mentor
Hi Guys,
Just a few proofs of the FT P51 Art I'm working on. A top wing and fuse side to start. Unfortunately I can't print in silver. Gotta fake it with gray! ;)
Fuse Proof.jpg
Left Wing Top Proof.jpg

I am going to have to give this a try. I have watched a couple YouTube videos on tissue printing since I initially saw this. I do think, with my printer, I will probably have bleeding issues with the ink if I can't find a good way to lock it down. This is a great way to get some color on a foam-board plane! I think the wife has some tissue around here somewhere I can sacrifice for the cause. I don't have a super way to upload the outlines of the parts, but for something like a Spitfire, even a camo pattern with some roundels will look great, I will just have to trim it to fit after printing.

Hi All,

I finally managed to finish my Storch, finished in winter camo. I have put all the details below, please contact me if you have any questions, I would be happy to give more details if I missed something. I am very happy how she flies and she lands nicely with the flaperons down :)

Material: 3mm Kapa line (its all that is available in CZ but I like its strength)
AUW: 1250g
Battery: 2200 3 cell
Motor: NTM Prop Drive 28-36 1200KV / 530W
ESC: TURNIGY Plush 30amp
Servos: 4x HXT900 9g
Prop: APC 9x4,5 E

20150614_101500.jpg 20150614_101511.jpg 20150614_101523.jpg 20150614_101534.jpg 20150614_101553.jpg 20150614_101601.jpg 20150614_101629.jpg 20150614_101634.jpg 20150614_101654.jpg 20150614_101741.jpg 20150614_101751.jpg

AdamV

That printed tissue paper turned out amazing! You must have a printer - my quick online search shows custom tissue paper printing in that size to total more than the cost of the plane!

Rasterize

Mentor
That printed tissue paper turned out amazing! You must have a printer - my quick online search shows custom tissue paper printing in that size to total more than the cost of the plane!

You can print on tissue paper with just about any home inkjet printer.
There are a few "howevers":
  • You are limited to the max paper size of your printer. the bigger the better. Mine will print on a 13X30 sheet.
  • The straight the paper path as it moves through the printer the better. Mine is about almost a straight shot.
  • Pigmented ink is way more water resistant than dyed ink. I use pigmented.
  • It uses a lot of ink! I use a Continuous Ink System and buy in in 110ml bottles so the cost is a fraction of those little cartridges.

Other than that you just adhere the tissue paper to a carrier sheet (I use 80lbs text) with repositionable adhesive spray, trim to fit, print on it, and then carefully peel it off the carrier sheet.
You will most likely have to prep the carrier sheet by applying tissue paper to it and peeling it off repeatedly to weaken the glue bond. If you just spray it, add tissue and print the tissue will most probably rip.

How do I know all this stuff? I print the tissue paper covers for SGTalon RC SciFi ships like the Enterprise-D, Imperial Start Destroyer etc. I use an Epson Artisan 1430. I have printed a lot of tissue paper for people.

Rasterize

Mentor
fatalerrorstu - Definitely digging that winter camo scheme! Nice Job! :applause:

penerbang

Foam requirement

Hi Guys,

I never build a plane before. And want to choose storch as my first project. I want to know what size foam board I have to order. Here in Indonesia I have found 100 cm x 50 cm polyfoam board with 3mm and 6mm thick.

My question is:
1. Which one I should use? 3 mm or 6mm
2. How many foam board I should order to build this plane?

Corbarrad

I did a little checking and that 1100kv motor seems to be close to the one I fly in my Multiplex PC6.
That's the stock permax 3530 1100 KV swinging an 11x5.5 prop at something like 28 amps.

At just over 1100 grams AUW you can hang the plane off that prop and hover around (you'll need a more competent pilot than me, though).

Just be aware that you've got some serious power going into your plane with that, so make doubly sure everything is tight and sturdy.

I'm pretty sure I'd prefer the extra thrust of the big prop over the potential extra speed on the 2300kv for this plane

flcc77

Just finished the build for the FT storch with my 6 year old. He is good with the FT Flyer so hoping he enjoys this one. I did a scratch build - but can't find on the plans the COG? Anyway know where a good COG would be? How far back from the leading edge?
THanks,
Steve
Vancouver Island BC

Zero9r

Finally getting to building this storch after a year. I want to do flaps (first time doing it done flapperons only). I have installed the servo mirrored to each other on a y harness. but they act like ailerons now (moving in opposite directions.). do I need to flip one so it is facing the same direction as the other one. This would put the servo alittle more towards the tip of the wing. will that cause issues with balance?

flyboa

Elite member
I have installed the servo mirrored to each other on a y harness. but they act like ailerons now (moving in opposite directions.). do I need to flip one so it is facing the same direction as the other one. This would put the servo alittle more towards the tip of the wing. will that cause issues with balance?
This servo reverser might work. Or mount servos so they go in the same direction.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__45690__Turnigy_Servo_Signal_Reverser.html

Bayboos

This one is not complete yet; but I already had some mishaps when testing the flight envelope; so I want to share some photos while it still looks clean enough...

Zrzut ekranu 2015-08-07 o 16.42.48.png

IMG_6081-kopia 2.jpg

IMG_6075-kopia 2.jpg