FT Spitfire Build

volrol

I am not going to race the Spit so I hope it will be ok. A bit of extra thrust is always a good thing though....
The battery is already as far up front as possible, i.e. directly behind the firewall. Took out the rudder servo and will put it back in up front right behind the wing, hope this will cure the problem -especially as the weather might be fine this afternoon....

Removed the servo, battery is so far up front, under the power pod, that it just doesn't touch the motor and I still had to add massive weight to get CG to the first bend in the wing. Weight now 910g - hope I get it going......

Nmackey

Has anyone tried to add landing gear to this?? something like the ft cruiser i guess. I know there are no nacelles to strap gear to but is there a way?? ive been thinking about it for quite a while and cant quite think of a solid way.

volrol

I guess that really is a problem - but I wouldn't do it anyway. A warbird like the Spit with landing gear down just doesn't look right......

volrol

Hi there volrol,

I know a few places in Germany, that sells Foamboard, epp, and high density 5 mm Depron, check these:
Modulor.de page in English as well, have many materials, including the closest to dollar tree foam board
farben-hilkert.de good Depron, in many biiiiig sizes as well and epp-versand.de good alternative to epp, Depron and others.
I personally make all FT planes in 5 mm strong depron from Farben-Hilkert, very good stuff, you can also sand it to shape. For gluing I'm limiting the hot glue and moving to UHU Por, you can find it in Germany in any Bau store, very cheap and is super strong, but more flexible than hot glue and of course much lighter.
My FT Spitfire was 720 g painted with same battery you have, and a few "scale like" details

Thanx a lot!

volrol

Maiden flight!
Had my Spit uptoday for the first time - yes, she does fly but definitely needs more power. Response to the controls was great but since the motor is a bit weak I didn't dare doing any aerobatics. Bought a 10x6 prop, hope that will help. I need to finsih the canopy but since I ruined an aileron servo which meant the end of my flying day I have lots of time to do that.........

Spit.jpg

volrol

I was using aTurnigy D2830-11 and a 9x6 folding prop, have now a 10x6 folding prop but haven't tested it yet. Still waiting for new servos....

Art Lane

Foamy Flyer 1
Spit nearing completion

E-Spit 003.jpg Here's the latest on my Spit.......
Wing done, painted that is, now the fuse.... Have put masking tape in place of the white stripe down the fuse...
Weight so far??? scared to check it.....

Art Lane

Foamy Flyer 1
Volrol, nice looking Spit... and video...
After you painted your model, did you by any chance weigh it??????????? I'm in the process of spraying mine Red, like the old G-FIRE, and am a little concerned about the added weight...

volrol

Mine is indeed rather heavy, maybe because of the hot glue which I used in abundance:rolleyes: and i also rolled on the brown parts which also added weight.
Actual weight is around 940g, battery included. I fitted a 10x6 folding prop and get about 890g thrust, I hope that will make her a bit more agile..But thinking of the main spar in the wings I guess I'd better move her gently.

Art Lane

Foamy Flyer 1
Finished Spit

Almost done 001.jpg Almost done 002.jpg Mornin volrol
Well, finished all spray painting yesterday, added the blue stripe on the fuse, and the canopy, ugh, and then proceeded to weigh each pc...
Wing - 195 gr.
Fuse - 141 gr.
Power box, and lipo - 286 gr.
Haven't decided on a prop yet but probably a 9/6 or something in that range...
So, my total weight, using a 3C 2200 lipo, came out at 622 gr..... A little less than yours, thanks goodness....
Yes, your weight probably is due to "Rolling" on the brown color... But, you said, and I watched your video, it FLEW!!
Ha, now all I have to do is to wait till spring, when the weather gets better for outdoor flying....
In the meantime, I have a model that I've always wanted to build in a smaller size, Stinson Voyager, one that I manufactured in Giant scale back in the late/early 70's and 80s..... It was a hog in the air and i figured using foam and a 40" wing span, that would be more like it.... Have a plan that I have to redraw in the same assembly as FT's models... Should be a good winter project...
Thanks for your info on yours and lets keep in touch...
Art.

Last edited:

volrol

That's a pretty bird - and a slim one,too, compared to mine.:)
As this is my second scratch built plane I don't worry too much. The next one will be better.
I guess I'll be a bit careful to avoid extreme g-forces. Thrust/weight ratio is better with the bigger prop and if I am lucky I'll take her out for a second test today.
Next project is in the making - a SU37 made from 6mm depron with thrust vector steering......
Keep my fingers crossed for your maiden flight!

Rolf

PS By "rolling on" I meant applying the colour with a foam roll, not with a paint brush. What is the proper English expression?

Last edited:

Art Lane

Foamy Flyer 1
Mornin Rolf..
Good to know your first "Handle".... I like it that way.....
Now, I take it you are from the other side of that big pond???? Like Europe?? I live in Canada, London Ontario to be exact and our weather is not for "Test" flying outdoors now, not with blowing winds, snow, sleet and the likes for Winter....
As for the "Expressions" you got it, "Rolling it on" Actually, that's what I meant, just got ahead of myself thinking you were from this side of the pond....
You say mine is a "Slim" one??? Isn't yours from the same kits/scratchbuilt, of Flite Tests"" or is it something you scratched yourself?
This FT model is something I found at our annual Toledo RC Show, this past spring, and being a scratch builder, I decided to have a go at it, freehand.... What you see is the finished product.... Am happy with the building and looks, as for the test flight, has to wait till next spring/summer....
Your next project, the SU37 sounds like a good one, got any pics??
Well, gotta get on with the day, it's getting bright and sunny.... and still COLD... ha ha..
Art.

volrol

Yes, you're right - I am from Germany, Braunschweig, that is half way between Berlin and Hannover, about 200km south east of Hamburg. I used the same FT plan, by "slim" I actually referred to the weight :(
As for the SU37 I have the plan, would mail it to you but I don't know how to attach the plan to a mail in the messages area.
Weather here is pretty good at the moment 2bft, +3 degrees, so I'll be off for the flying field in a minute.
Here's a link to a vid of the SU37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkLnVmGu_Fg

Rolf

Last edited:

volrol

Took her up today, two batteries, 13mins flying time, about 40% left. Even though CG seems to be alright she needs a bit downrudder. She looks great in the air, easy to fly but still more scale-like flying, i.e. moderate speed and climb. Since I had to add some extra weight in the nose I might as well switch to a bigger motor, later...
Snapshot - 34.jpg

Last edited:

Art Lane

Foamy Flyer 1
Mornin gin, Rolf
Boy, your sure lucky to fly, this time of year... Don't you get any snow?? Or cold weather?? It's just freezing here now, cloudy, and still dark, sunrise aint till 7:08 AM here.... And I know, your approximately seven hours ahead of us....
Anyway, that Spit sure looks great in the air buddy.... Oh, by the way, I think you mean "Down" ELEVATOR, no?? Rudder is your yaw left and right, along with the ailerons..... At any rate, your sure lucky to be flying outdoors this time of year...
Say, I have another buddy from Germany..... Domonic Gloss, from Frankfurt area, he is a glider flyer and was over here to Canada several years ago on course with Diamond Aircraft... I understand he is an aircraft designer, among other things... Great fellow, had a ball with him at our indoor flying area, over the winter he was here.... Ever hear of him??
Hey, don't worry bout the plan, I have several that I'm contemplating building, over the winter, the first one being the Stinson Voyager, an aircraft I manufactured back in the late 70's, in giant scale... Always wanted to build a smaller one for electric. Worked on the plan yesterday, getting it lined up similar to FT's layout... I found this assembly to be the easiest I've ever done, scratching a model, and they look pretty good when finished.....
How long have you been into RC flying/building?... I've been at it since the late 70's, after a stint in the RCAF for five years, always have liked aircraft, so figured, since I never flew while in the RCAF, was a telecomunications Checker, ground, hence no air time... Have fun the field with Giant scale first, down to the micro indoor, and enjoy the ones around the 40 to 50" wingspans now.... and foam only.... I'm alergic to the CA glues.... Hot melt is my way of assembly now, quick and no smell, altho, you gets yer fingers burnt sometimes, ha ha...
Good to chat with you again... Will have a looksee at that web site you sent, the SU37 sounds interesting....
Best Regards,
Art.

volrol

Hi Art,
Of, course it is elevator, not rudder.
I started rc flying 3 years ago with an Easystar from MPX, but did glider flying myself back in the 60ies, so I spent some time up there. Thought of beginning again but I guess it is safer to stay on the ground now. Had to stop when I started studying , no time, no money and a girlfriend;)
I thought it might be a nice idea to build something myself that doesn't take too much time and money and can survive a crash or is easily rebuilt, so depron is a good choice.
We had a lot of snow in the last three years and some really cold days, -15 degrees, but those really cold periods don't last long.

Maybe we should start emailing - the other guys might get bored.....

Merry Xmas time to all of you

Rolf

PS I haven'tr heard of your buddy - but then I am only beginning and don't follow any threads about competitions or whatever.

Last edited:

Art Lane

Foamy Flyer 1
Hi Rolf
Ya, might be an idea, private emails.... Only problem is, if I put my address on here, you never know what or who is gonna contact me.....
Is there a PM version somewhere in here?????
Did you say "Snow"?.... Ha, two weeks ago we got hit with the first storm of the winter, all three feet of it... Streamers coming off Lake Huron, right over London, sure gives us hell when it happens... It's almost gone now, mild weather returned, but not for long.... Cold and in the very low single digit numbers, like -15C....
Have done a bit of work on my Stinson, foamie... Plan is being transfered to the same type layout as FT's Spit, it's quite a job, but a good winter project....
OK, let's figure a way to get our addresses together so we don't bother the rest of the gang.....
And, you to, have a great Merry Christmas and a Happy New (Buildin) year.....
Art.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Hey guys! If you click on the persons name at the left side of their post, an option menu pops up. just click on the PM option and message away. At the top of the forum screen, next to where it says "welcome", there is a "notifications" tab. That will be where you can access any PM's.
Hope this helps!

alejoruas

Hi everyone,

I built my spit fire and i flew that last weekend. It's a awsome and fast plane, is my first acrobatic plane. During the fligth after two rolls the wings were removed in half, and my plane crashed. I going to build again the plane, but someone know how to attach the wings in the middle and that no splitting?

Thank's

PD (My english is very bad, I know, but i'm learning, sorry)

20131104_183101[1].jpg