FT Tiny Trainer - BUILD

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

It's here! The FT Tiny Trainer is finally available and ready for flight.
This step-by-step tutorial will show you everything you need to build your FT Tiny Trainer Speed Build Kit.

The speed build kit is available in our online store and the the build plans are available for those of you who want to scratch build this versatile foamboard Mighty Mini.

You'll want to put together your mini power pod first!
More details available in the power pod article here:
http://flitetest.com/articles/mighty-minis-power-pod-build

FREE PLANS

mvi-0068-00-07-15-07-still002-jpg_1426702151.jpg

A solid plane starts with a solid fuselage. Always take your time and wait for the glue to dry completely before moving on.

mvi-0089-mov-00-04-59-12-still001-jpg_1426805595.jpg

Be sure to have the push rods cross and go out to the control horns without binding along the way.

mvi-0068-00-24-44-21-still004-jpg_1426702060.jpg

Both noses feature doublers, to help reinforce and strengthen the plane for any situation. With this, a beginner should be able to take a few hits and continue flying, if they didn't break a prop of course.

mvi-0068-00-41-35-03-still005-jpg_1426702175.jpg

Be gentle when forming your wing. You shouldn't have to force it to much, and be patient with the glue.

mvi-0068-01-01-39-14-still006-jpg_1426702182.jpg

Use some spare wire to feed the servos through the wing after its closed up.

ft-tiny-trainer-build-final-edit-00-19-14-20-still010-jpg_1426805292.jpg

You can create your own Z-Bends with a pair of Z-Bend Pliers: Available Here!

mvi-0068-01-15-59-14-still007-jpg_1426702189.jpg

With the plane nearly done, all thats left is strapping the wing down, and testing your controls.

mvi-0068-01-21-50-01-still008-jpg_1426702091.jpg

We can't wait to see how your FT Tiny Trainer build turns out!
Be sure to share with photos, articles and comments! Thank you for all of your support and input with speed build kits like this!

Let us know what you'd like to see as a speed build kit!

The FT Tiny Trainer is part of our Mighty Minis Series and are powered with our Power Pack A (Minis) electronics setup available in our online store!

New to the R/C hobby?
Here's some resources to help get you up to speed!

Beginner Series:
WATCH HERE!
Electronics Setup: WATCH HERE!
First Flight Quick Tips: WATCH HERE!

Got glue?? Get Some Here!

FREE PLANS

Learn more about the FT Tiny Trainer here: SPECS AND OTHER DETAILS!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I re-arranged and optimized the plans. As usual, full-size and tiled plans along with the drawing key are included in a single PDF file. The PDF is 17 pages total. All parts are labeled and areas where foam and/or paper are removed are easily identified.

Page 1 - Drawing Key
Page 2 -3 - Full-size plans
Page 4-17 - Tiled plans​

Download here --> SP0NZ - Plans Index

dews

Hey.

Can't wait for tomorrow. Maiden if the weather is good enughe. Built the FT TT sport wing. No dihedral and a y-cable for the ailerons.
Suppo 2204 1400kv with a 8x4 prop.
9g servos x4
Running 3s.
IMG_20150320_144145.jpg

Best thing about it is that it will accept my FT SS wing

Attachments

• IMG_20150320_144211.jpg
    IMG_20150320_144211.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

mad_milchmann

Great Design! Moved instantly to the top of the list what i want to build next! :)

Cheers to SPONZ for his plans, I've already printed them. :)
Although I really curse myself for not ordering a few extra 5g servos with my last HK order. :(

Since I have to wait for the servos anyway I want to order a fast motor with them.
I want to build the sportwing and have a motor that has holiner-isch speed. So I was looking for something a bit bigger than the Emax 1806 motors.

I was thinking about DYS BE 1806 or an Emax CF2812 each with 6x4 or 6x5 props on 3S.

Would that work and be reasonably fast? any other suggestions for a speedy steup? I'm still not quite sure about choosing motors :/

Last edited:

dews

I think that is the Simple Soarer wing, not the Storch wing???

Yepp. It is a Simple Soarer wing shrunken to 70% stretched to 140cm.

Oh and the FT TT is made from a 5mm Swedish foam board called kapaskiva. It is heavier then the dtfb so my TT came out at 401 grams with a 950 mAh 3s nano tech.

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
Yepp. It is a Simple Soarer wing shrunken to 70% stretched to 140cm.

Oh and the FT TT is made from a 5mm Swedish foam board called kapaskiva. It is heavier then the dtfb so my TT came out at 401 grams with a 950 mAh 3s nano tech.

Ah my bad i thought SS stood for Simple Storch. Simple Soarer makes since also

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Why do you use the aileron channel for rudder on a 2/3 channel plane?

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
Why do you use the aileron channel for rudder on a 2/3 channel plane?

I don't know the scientific reason, but it is just easier to fly with rudder and elevator on the same stick. Having rudder on one stick, and elevator on the other makes little sense to me on a 2/3 channel plane.

Ground loop

Free Flight Indoorist
And I thought mine was the first scratch built TT. Currently it has way too much up elevator throw and it seems kinda underpowered. Im running 2 cells and a 20g 2300kv motor swinging a 6x3 APC style prop. I ironed the edges of the elevator with a clothes iron to get a less draggy edge. Weight without battery is exactly 8 ounces. I shared a thermal with a red hawk on its second flight. What a great plane!
DSCN0722.JPG DSCN0723.JPG

Last edited:

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
That will get you a good 60mph+ (96kph). You are going to have some fun with that.:D

Last edited:

Corbarrad

I got the plans printed and glued together.
I was thinking about starting a build today (there will be several), but it's sunny outside tight now and I might just take an UMX ship out to the local park and burn a few batteries.

viktor-d

hello guys

im new in this hobby and i decided to build this plane as my first plane. i have:
ntm 2826 1200kv
some 8x4 props
esc hk 20a
battery 3s 2200mah
hk 4ch tx and 6ch rx
if i build a 120% or 150% size its gonna fly? what you think?

T-Richard

20150322_083113.jpg

Perfect plane to teach others to fly. Building one myself since itès super windy and -24C today.

Hope to maiden late this week