FT Tiny Trainer - BUILD

T-Richard

im new in this hobby and i decided to build this plane as my first plane. i have:
ntm 2826 1200kv
some 8x4 props
esc hk 20a
battery 3s 2200mah
hk 4ch tx and 6ch rx
if i build a 120% or 150% size its gonna fly? what you think?

go for full size simple soarer... it is very similar and beginner friendly

dews

im new in this hobby and i decided to build this plane as my first plane. i have:
ntm 2826 1200kv
some 8x4 props
esc hk 20a
battery 3s 2200mah
hk 4ch tx and 6ch rx
if i build a 120% or 150% size its gonna fly? what you think?

Hey.

It would fly at 100% too. But it might be a little heavy, needing more speed to stay up. Go for 150% if you want something slow to poke around the sky with.

Just remember that if you blow the plans up 150% all the places where you remove foam for a fold will be to big, so cut them narrow. Better to have to widen the gap rather then fill it in.
/Dews.

jcoutie

My First Build!

I've watched Flite Test for ages, and finally built my first aircraft! I did a scratch build of this Tiny Trainer over the last few days and just finished it today. I am so glad to have finally made my own aircraft! However it's rainy and windy today, so I can't fly it yet. It's the most frustrating feeling ever!

A few changes I had to make:
- Push rods weren't long enough so the servos are mounted further back, had to cut more of a hole to access them
- Couldn't use laser cut plywood, so control horns and firewall are made out of a cut up gift card
- The motor and power system I have is bigger than this was designed for so I had to cut away more of the firewall for the wires and had to shove everything further back in the plane
- The battery I had was too big so I mounted it on top of the plane and cut a hole there for the wires to come through

Once I get a chance to fly it I'll throw up some photos and let you know how it went!

Last edited:

jcoutie

Hey.
Just remember that if you blow the plans up 150% all the places where you remove foam for a fold will be to big, so cut them narrow. Better to have to widen the gap rather then fill it in.
/Dews.

I don't know if it's an option for you guys, but you could potentially use thicker foam board, that way the holes can scale up too. I have different sizes of foam board available where I bought it from. Can't remember what the sizes where though.

viktor-d

i have 2 options: 100x70x0.5cm or 100x70x0.3cm
i will crash the plane. i am sure. you think the 3mm foamboard will be enough strong to fly?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
3mm depron should be fine for strength -- all the major parts are folded and glued into tube-ish shapes, except the tail feathers.

I'm not convinced about durability for 3mm, but if you cover the sheet with packing tape it should be more than durable enough . . . and 3mm + tape should come out VERY light and floaty.

mad_milchmann

3mm depron should be fine for strength -- all the major parts are folded and glued into tube-ish shapes, except the tail feathers.

I'm not convinced about durability for 3mm, but if you cover the sheet with packing tape it should be more than durable enough . . . and 3mm + tape should come out VERY light and floaty.

ah good to know. I was also thinking about using 3mm foamboard since the stuff we can get here in Germany is quite a bit heavier than the dollartree stuff.
now I feel more safe in doing so :)

3mm depron does not have the rigidity of 5mm, it is very flexible, so you may have to laminate 2 sheets together for areas that will require both rigidity and strength.

quadsview

So I just ordered a mini power pack and am just wondering what would happen if I used 5x3 props as I have a lot for mini quads at the moment.

dews

I have built many of the regular size FT planes with 3mm foamboard. (The swedish stuff, heavier and stiffer) at 70%. Wich shrinks all cut outs the right amount And let's me use a smaller motor/battery combo. So far I have not seen any problems caused by using 3mm. I have both taped it up and ran without Both works nice. For a plane I want to keep around for a longer time, I always tape.

Del-Dredd

I don't know the scientific reason, but it is just easier to fly with rudder and elevator on the same stick. Having rudder on one stick, and elevator on the other makes little sense to me on a 2/3 channel plane.

Only like that if flying Mode 2, I learned to fly years ago in UK where nearly everyone used Mode 1 where Throttle and Aileron on Right stick, Rudder Elevator on Left. A lot easier for accurate flying as well I find as primary flying controls are separated in 4 channel.

With Mode 1 flying 3 channel Elevator on left with throttle Rudder on right.

On my Gamma 370 which I have both wings for (Standard 3 channel and Aileron 4 channel), I leave rudder servo connected to rudder channel for 4 channel use and have a switched mix to let my Aileron stick control it in 3 channel mode.
I then only need to connect aileron servo to Rx instead of fiddling swapping leads over.

Will do same for this Tiny Trainer.

Last edited:

degriz

:) Built @ 125% covered with packing tape. I have a blue wonder on it and have 800 & 500 mah batteries to try.

Waiting on NY weather :(

20150328_081956_HDR-crop.jpg

flyboa

Elite member
I built a 60" glider and used the building technique used in the Tiny Trainer. Wing is strong and tracks very nice.