FT Tiny Trainer - BUILD

thebigbaker

So I've got the trainer all built and got the mini power pack A (Twin) in the other day. However, I'm having issues with the emax MT 1806 motor. I get everything set up and the motor stutters. After a little bit, it will then spin w/out any studder, yet it just doesn't have enough power to keep the Trainer in the air for more than 5 seconds. I've reset and gone through the esc initialization several times. The other motor that came with the power pack just studders and never spins. I've tied each motor and each of the esc that came with the power pack. These are the only motors/ esc that I have w/ these smaller bullet connectors, so I can't try any of my other esc w/ these motors or vice versa. Anyone else have this issue w/ these emaxx 1806 and emax 12a esc? Thanks!

Del-Dredd

I would put the smaller 2mm connectors on a known good ESC and motor for testing both the emax motors and ESC's.

Stutter at startup can be the Timing set on the ESC's, especially with smaller High Kv motors.

I would think it unlikely that both motors or both ESC's were faulty, only way to tell is to put same connectors on known good stuff for comparison.

thebigbaker

Thanks, I think I'll see if I can find those smaller connectors at my LHS or pick up a different esc w/ those same 2mm connectors.

One other thing to mention, one of the emax motors does not spin by hand. I'm new to the hobby, but the other motors I have spin freely by hand, so I'm not sure if this is an issue or not w/ that motor.

Del-Dredd

If it does not spin at all, could be a magnet loose and jammed, I would contact where you got them from and ask about a replacement or a refund in that case, before you start messing with it.

thebigbaker

thanks, I'm trying everything short of slicing the heat shrink/ wires to check the solder points. I want to keep everything like I received it just in case I need to return them. I do have a different esc coming in this week w/ those 2mm connectors to test. These motors are actually part of the Flitetest power pack A mini twin engine. I sent them an email on Saturday and hopefully will hear back from the soon.

Del-Dredd

Wish we had a distributor of the kits in UK or Europe as Postage is a killer, costs more than the kit and then get stung with import Tax Duty, as they decide to include postage in total amount for calculation.

I would have bought a load of stuff by now apart from 2 kits I did as a trial, postage was nearly double the cost of kits, it has gone down a little since.

Razer_Ghost

So I've got the trainer all built and got the mini power pack A (Twin) in the other day. However, I'm having issues with the emax MT 1806 motor. I get everything set up and the motor stutters. After a little bit, it will then spin w/out any studder, yet it just doesn't have enough power to keep the Trainer in the air for more than 5 seconds. I've reset and gone through the esc initialization several times. The other motor that came with the power pack just studders and never spins. I've tied each motor and each of the esc that came with the power pack. These are the only motors/ esc that I have w/ these smaller bullet connectors, so I can't try any of my other esc w/ these motors or vice versa. Anyone else have this issue w/ these emaxx 1806 and emax 12a esc? Thanks!

I have had issues with motors stutters. It can be the solder joints that are causing the issue on either the 2mm connector or the wires coming out of the motor. Another fix might be the ESC is not compatible with the motor. We bought some 12amp ESC for the 1806 motors and the motors would not give full power and would stutter. We put the timing on low and it helped but the motors just did not seem very powerful. We then tried different ESC and every issue went away. The motors had a ton of power and had not stuttering problems at all. If you can try a different brand of ESC that might fix the issue. The ones we had issue with were Sky Power 12 amp Electronic Speed Control with switchmode BEC 3amp. We ended up getting Hobbywing FlyFun 12A Brushless ESC from Value hobby and they work great.

thebigbaker

I've got different motor and esc on the way. So we'll see how that goes. I've also been talking w/ the flitetest guys since I bought the original items from them.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Anybody think of using a 6x3 Folding prop.. Groupner 6-3 folding cam.. This would reduce drag in a glide and prevent prop windmill. Also it will help with belly handing preventing the prop from being snagged. The only thing I could think of is because the body is square it clipping the tips if still spinning when folding back..

russj48

russj48
Tiny Trainer Sport

This is my new Tiny Trainer Sport with flat wing. Have three flights so far.

Tiny Trainer Sport 1.jpg

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
image.jpg

Maiden today. Broke a prop on a landing when a gust of wind started a cartwheel along the ground. I think the 10-20 mph winds were too much as it was a handful in the gusts.

Multistar 2206
12a turnigy plush
6x3 prop
5g servos
Tried 2 cell 850 and 3 cell 500. Both did well but the 3 cell had some zip. Never flew either pack to LVC but guess about 8-10 min flight times with no problem.

2 cell -
3 cell - 135watt/10.8a

FatsGW

Maidened mine today and it flew fantastic.

I used 3mm foamboard (DTF not available where I come from) Which is much stronger and also heavier than DTF. Weigh 340g without battery and it took off without a problem.

Papo_60

image.jpg

I just completed building my Tiny Trainer using electronics from Altitude Hobbies. It weighs 220 grams less the battery. I have to put my 2S 500 mah battery quite far back (3/4's of battery is past the power pod) to get it to balance correctly. No chance to balance using an 800 mah 3S battery without adding some weight in the tail. Is this common or am I doing something wrong? I am using a Hobby King Orange receiver but have it back under the wing. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

T-Richard

I just completed building my Tiny Trainer using electronics from Altitude Hobbies. It weighs 220 grams less the battery. I have to put my 2S 500 mah battery quite far back (3/4's of battery is past the power pod) to get it to balance correctly. No chance to balance using an 800 mah 3S battery without adding some weight in the tail. Is this common or am I doing something wrong? I am using a Hobby King Orange receiver but have it back under the wing. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

it's a better problem than the other way around. you'l need to add weight to the tail but only a tiny amount willk likely be necessairy as the tail is very far from the CG

hoppy_bounce

motor choices

Great Design! Moved instantly to the top of the list what i want to build next! :)

Cheers to SPONZ for his plans, I've already printed them. :)
Although I really curse myself for not ordering a few extra 5g servos with my last HK order. :(

Since I have to wait for the servos anyway I want to order a fast motor with them.
I want to build the sportwing and have a motor that has holiner-isch speed. So I was looking for something a bit bigger than the Emax 1806 motors.

I was thinking about DYS BE 1806 or an Emax CF2812 each with 6x4 or 6x5 props on 3S.

Would that work and be reasonably fast? any other suggestions for a speedy steup? I'm still not quite sure about choosing motors :/

I'm looking at transplanting the motor from my now broken Hobbyking radjet 800. 1850kv with 3 cell and 5x5 prop.