FT Tiny Trainer

FT Tiny Trainer 1.1

mayan

Legendary member
My son (8yo) just finished building his TT. He did about 80% of the cuts, with me doing the ones where absolute precision mattered. I didn’t know how it would turn out because some of the cuts were a little off the mark, but after assembly it looks just fine!

He flew it for the first time this weekend and LOVED it. He said it flies a lot easier than his previous plane, which was a three channel Simple Cub. After an initial couple flights with the Buddy box, he flew solo for over ten minutes, landing twice, without any damage. It went absolutely great and it improved his confidence and enthusiasm a ton!

One thing that we were concerned with initially was that it balanced very nose heavy. That was using the recommended 1806 motor, a very small 12a ESC, a micro receiver, and a small 450mah 2s battery. If anything, I would have expected it to be tail heavy. We moved the battery as far back under the nose as possible and it flies very nicely like that, even though it is nose heavy. It almost seems like the COG holes are in the wrong place. Anybody else have that experience?

Anyways, great little plane!
great to hear that he was enjoying himself and seems like you did too. I didn't seem to have those issues with the TT.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
When you would scale up the Tiny trainer, would the CG change?
It depends on what you mean by change.
If you mean, if I scale the plans 125%, will the CG on the now larger plans still be correct, then yes, the CG has not changed.
If you mean, the CG was X far form the leading edge and you make the plane 125% larger. Will the CG still be same X far, then no, the CG has changed. The new CG will be 125% of X.

On traditional plane with a straight, rectangular wing, like the TT, the CG will always be, 25-30% of the wing cord. No matter what the size of the cord. Set the CG at 25% if you want a stable flight and at 30% if you want more flips and such.

Last edited:

agupt108

It depends on what you mean by change.
If you mean, if I scale the plans 125%, will the CG on the now larger plans still be correct, then yes, the CG has not changed.
If you mean, the CG was X far form the leading edge and you make the plane 125% larger. Will the CG still be same X far, then no, the CG has changed. The new CG will be 125% of X.

On a straight, rectangular wing, like the TT, the CG will always be, 25% of the wing cord. No matter what the size of the cord.
Ok thank you, that makes sense.

Foamforce

So tonight my son started getting kind of far away so I asked him if he was alright. He said he was. 30 seconds later he said he couldn’t control the plane anymore and I could see him doing loops far off on the distance. I was flying my own so I couldn’t pay close attention but fortunately another guy watched closely when it went down. We searched for about 45 minutes without a sign and then I decided to hike way far out. I went over a fence over a hill, and eventually I spotted a white spot way off. Found it! Only very slight damage. The firewall got pushed in on one side. Super lucky!

I measured the distance on Google maps and it ended up over 2000 feet away. The place where I thought it went down was 1400, so my estimate was almost 50% off!

All’s well that ends well. 🙂

mayan

Legendary member
So tonight my son started getting kind of far away so I asked him if he was alright. He said he was. 30 seconds later he said he couldn’t control the plane anymore and I could see him doing loops far off on the distance. I was flying my own so I couldn’t pay close attention but fortunately another guy watched closely when it went down. We searched for about 45 minutes without a sign and then I decided to hike way far out. I went over a fence over a hill, and eventually I spotted a white spot way off. Found it! Only very slight damage. The firewall got pushed in on one side. Super lucky!

I measured the distance on Google maps and it ended up over 2000 feet away. The place where I thought it went down was 1400, so my estimate was almost 50% off!

All’s well that ends well. 🙂
the most important thing is no one got hurt you found the plane and now its just a matter of getting your son to try again :)

Foamforce

the most important thing is no one got hurt you found the plane and now its just a matter of getting your son to try again :)
We were out flying again last night doing a steamer battle. He loves that plane! He had a few hard landings and other than a couple broken props, no damage. Great design!