FT Tiny Trainers!

Micah

So, I'm getting back into this hobby as I've said in another post... and I figured I'd go hard or go home. I already have like..... 12 planes from back in the day. Most of which are nitro or gas - before the days of electric power. :) So, as you can see in my other post, I wanted to diversify... with multirotors! OTHER THREAD

That said, we did have a couple of ARF's and kits that we've put together in the hopes of re-entering the hobby, but then fell short due to nerves, lack of flying sites, and overall weather related blocks (we live in Oregon and it's ALWAYS WET).

So, another motivation of mine is to get my dad back into a hobby. He needs something to get his blood moving and get his brain working.... He got me into this hobby in the old days when I was 4 or so.... I might as well be the one that gets him back into it 30+ years later.

He liked the idea! Yay, fish on the line! He kept looking at extremely nice balsa airplanes.... much like the ones already in his basement and in my house. I kept saying "No, get something that won't make you hate yourself when you crash it - because you're going to crash it....". He was confident that if he could get something HUGE that he could see better that flew slow and low... he could do it. I agreed with slow... but I wanted him to get something ugly that he wouldn't mind seeing wrapped around a fencepost or shooting through a fence and turning into shoestring fries.

He finally caved and we bought a set of FT Tiny Trainers.
2015-03-28%2015.09.03.jpg

Unfortunately the electronics packs were out of stock, so I went on hobbyking and mocked one up. Spoiler alert, the choices I made were actually pretty good - even if they weren't as good as the FT options. I needed to get my dad in the sky ASAFP and that was the only way.

Well, my dad and I have been separately been building our trainers and while I finished first (Tooting my own horn), my dad finished not far after! This is a SUPER easy build. I did it while watching TV at the couch - despite my wife's dirty looks.

Mine:
2015-03-30%2018.31.47.jpg

His:
2015-04-05%2012.17.58.jpg

So far, we're both looking pretty good... Definitely not the prettiest build I've done in my day, but this foam board is pretty cool stuff. I can't wait to see how well I do on my next one.

I'll post some pictures from the maiden this coming weekend, but for now..... STATS!

*****STATS******

Motor: Turnigy 1811 Brushless Motor 2000kv
ESC: TURNIGY Plush 12amp (2A BEC) BESC
Radio: FrSKy Taranis Plus
(more to come)