Ft turbo trainer questions.

Aidan Mango

I recently got the ft turbo tutor pack and I have the battery and an R88 receiver but I can’t bind it to my MLP6DSM eflite controller. This is my first time building a plane and could really use some help. Do I need to buy a new controller or am I doing something wrong?

Aidan Mango

Also don’t know which port to plug my rudder elevator or ailerons in, so if anyone knows it would be much appreciated if you could help

joelspangler

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think your transmitter and receiver are going to work together. Your transmitter (MLP6DSM) appears to be a Spektrum (DSMX protocol) controller, and your receiver is a R88 (assuming Radiomaster R88) which uses the FRSKY D8/D16 protocol. They literally speak different languages and are not going to work together. There are some transmitters that talk MANY different protocols (like the radiomaster models with 4 in 1 chipsets), but as best I can tell the MLP6DSM is a Spektrum only radio.

Channel order is normally AETR (Aileron, Elevator, Throttle, Rudder) on the first 4 ports. There are exceptions, but that's the most common. That's where I start, and if something moves differently then I swap stuff around.

joelspangler

Yes - but you still have to be a little careful buying within the Radiomaster product line. Radiomaster does make some radios that wouldn't talk to the r88 - such as their ELRS radios. The CC2500 radios talk several protocols like (Frsky D8, D16, Futaba S-FHSS, Hitec, Radiolink, and Esky), The 4-in-1 radios will fly just about everything (except ELRS and Crossfire).

I personally have always purchased the 4in1 radios which can talk to pretty much anything. Most of the radios with the 4in1 chips have expansion bays where you can plug in a ELRS or crossfire module. You'd only really want/need to add a module if you got into REALLY long-distance flying (like a mile or more away where crossfire is needed), or for flying quadcopters where ELRS seems to be getting super popular due to lower latencies.

I'd suggest the Zorro if you like the game controller style, or the TX16s if you want a more traditional form factor. The flitetest store has both. Also, make sure you buy batteries for your transmitter - they don't come with them.

joelspangler

Or a spectrum receiver.

I believe the spectrum receivers use channel 1 as throttle.

A Spectrum receiver would definitely be the cheapest way to get flying with what Aidan already has. Something like an OrangeRX or Lemon RX receiver can be had for $25, and if you ever upgrade radios can still be used with the 4in1 radios that I wrote about in my last post. I don't own this particular model of receiver, but it's through buddy RC's ebay store (someone I would trust) and would almost certainly work for you - Lemon Rx DSMP (DSMX/DSM2 Compatible) 6-Channel Receiver with Diversity Antenna | eBay