FTCA

Apettifer

Hi complete newbie here. I've been flying for a couple months and really having a ball! Just saw video about FTCA and interested in participating. Though following the links from the YT vid I did not see a sign up page. Any help?
Thanks!
AP

Crow929

The video and link are full of acronyms without explanation.
The video never mentions what FTCA stands for, luckily the web page mentions it at the bottom.
One of the perks for being a FTCA member is access to FTCA FRIA's? Would love to know what this is. You also get CBO membership, whatever that stands for. Why is this so sloppily done?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
The video never mentions what FTCA stands for, luckily the web page mentions it at the bottom.
One of the perks for being a FTCA member is access to FTCA FRIA's? Would love to know what this is. You also get CBO membership, whatever that stands for. Why is this so sloppily done?

I suspect this was mostly targeting people who already know what all those acronyms are for. Anyone that has been following the hobby for the last year would know CBO (community based organization) and FRIA (FAA-Recognized Identification Area) as they have been all over the FAA proposed regulation and "everyone" has been talking about them. FTCA (Flite Test Community Association) has been talked about on and off on Flite Test's stuff for a while (to my understanding - since the whole CBO/FRIA stuff started being talked about).

Your correct in that making those more clear for people new to the hobby would have been useful and hopefully the team will remember to define the acronyms in the future.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor

FTCA - Flite Test Community Association
CBO - Community Based Organization (this is like the AMA, an organization that can open a FRIA with the FAA on your behalf).
FRIA - FAA-Recognized Identification Area. This is what everyone is up in arms about with flying fields. Without Remote ID devices in your RC aircraft, you will not be legally permitted to fly unless in a FRIA - say, for example, at Edgewater Airpark.

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Very valid points Crow929, the site has been updated to help with these acronyms. Please do let us know if you have additional suggestions, one of the things we want FTCA to help the community with is clarity, even though some of these terms are still being defined and subject to change. Thanks!

Robert

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
No, I want to get the aircrew, but gotta run it by my folks, I guess I could get the free and update if they let me tho

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Just a quick review. The FAA has been creating more and more regulations. Most recently they have decided that all model aircraft and drones need to have "Remote ID", which is a system that reports its (and the pilot's) location to the public. The exception is, that if you're flying at a FRIA, a designated exemption area, such as a club field.

In order for the FAA to recognize a site as a FRIA it has to be submitted through a CBO, a community based organization. The largest existing CBO is the AMA. But even as the largest, they don't quite have 200k members. That's not much lobbying power when it comes to trying to sway rulemakers. Flite Test has a large community of hobbyists, I'd say a bit larger than the AMA even. But they're not organized.

FTCA is a way to put the FT community together in a coordinated way so that we can create and maintain flying sites and through the FTCA gain FRIA exemptions.

This is not an attempt to take away from what the AMA is doing. Hopefully it will compliment their efforts.

Although, that said, I hope it does put some pressure on them. The AMA has been a monopoly for so long that as they only game in town, I think they've become a bit stagnant. Competition breeds innovation.

JasonK

Just a quick review. The FAA has been creating more and more regulations. Most recently they have decided that all model aircraft and drones need to have a system of "Remote ID" that is a system that reports its (and the pilot's) location to the public. The exception is, that if you're flying at a FRIA, a designated exemption area, such as a club field.
unless something changed, you don't need to register or remote ID sub 250g stuff that is flown for hobby purposes, but anything commercial has to have the remote ID & registration.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I suspect this was mostly targeting people who already know what all those acronyms are for.

They've been using the acronyms so long I bet they just forgot to explain them. FT has and will always be beginner friendly, so they wouldn't intentionally do anything to exclude new hobbyists.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
unless something changed, you don't need to register or remote ID sub 250g stuff that is flown for hobby purposes, but anything commercial has to have the remote ID & registration.

It was supposed to be implemented in March. But they're behind on their roll out.

It will apply to all unmanned aircraft, not just commercial ones. This is why what FT is doing is so important.

And remember, when they say "drones" they mean all unmanned aircraft, including our model planes.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id/

Attachments

• fria.jpg
    fria.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 0

JasonK

They've been using the acronyms so long I bet they just forgot to explain them. FT has and will always be beginner friendly, so they wouldn't intentionally do anything to exclude new hobbyists.
I didn't think they were intentionally doing anything to exclude anyone, just that it seemed targeted at the people who knew it was coming and therefore would have known what all the acronyms are.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor

That is a true statement - however, it is "all up weight", meaning with all of the electronics AND the battery in it. I only have TWO models that fall under that - my Newbeedrone Acrobee, which is essentially a TinyWhoop, and my Strix Nano Goblin with the 2S Li-Ion battery, which weighs in at 246g. I don't think there are any of the FT models that meet that, unless you're maybe in one of the Minis with a lighter, smaller battery...

JasonK

It was supposed to be implemented in March. But they're behind on their roll out.

It will apply to all unmanned aircraft, not just commercial ones. This is why what FT is doing is so important.

And remember, when they say "drones" they mean all unmanned aircraft, including our model planes.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id/
unless it changed recently remote ID was only required for drones that required registration

from: https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/register_drone/
All drones must be registered, except those that weigh .55 pounds or less (less than 250 grams) and are flown exclusively under the Exception for Recreational Flyers.

JasonK

That is a true statement - however, it is "all up weight", meaning with all of the electronics AND the battery in it. I only have TWO models that fall under that - my Newbeedrone Acrobee, which is essentially a TinyWhoop, and my Strix Nano Goblin with the 2S Li-Ion battery, which weighs in at 246g. I don't think there are any of the FT models that meet that, unless you're maybe in one of the Minis with a lighter, smaller battery...

almost everything I have qualifies ... my FT dart is 10g over, so just needs some tweeking (or a slightly lighter battery which wouldn't be an issue, I was trying to get away with a 2s li-ion pack on it) and the Tiny Trainers are over... but everything else is under.