FTCC18 "Billy Bomb" proof of concept

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
One of my tasks for Team Rockboy's FW-42 build is to design scale bombs (the SC250) for the bomb drop portion of the contest. I have completed a basic design from a few ideas I have thought over and adapted as I was working thru it all. I wanted to not only have scale bombs to drop but I wanted them to go "POOF" and actually mark the spot they hit.

My original idea was to make a hollow scale body and fin assembly and to use a plunger style actuator. On the first attempt I had worked out a really simple and decent looking scale bomb for a 1/10th scale 500lb bomb of the era. I found that the plunger idea would not function smooth enough as well as add length to the bomb bay to house them with a few inches of plunger sticking out the nose.

After thinking it over a bit I had mulled the ideas of "Packet charges" like the marking powder wrapped in plastic wrap used in the kitchen. Then realized that would STILL require a plunger to break it open and not have any air pressure to force it to spread in the "Poof" pattern I want.

I talked with Igoo57 this afternoon about ideas and he came up with using a single ply napkin and wrapping the power in that and just taping it to the nose so it broke on impact. That was doable for marking the impact but still no "Poof". this lead us around again to a pressurized system. We had a few ideas and decided I would try small balloons verses the original condom / finger cot ideas that would be expensive.

With the shape of the balloon in my mind one of those sucky ball things they use to wash ears out and clean baby's ears with as the "warhead" popped up. This may still be a viable option at some point but they tend to be thicker rubber and harder to impact and produce a good puff of air. Anyway back to the balloon idea and off to the dollar store I went. When I got there and was looking around I saw the big rubber kick balls for kids that are really flexible and soft. That got me thinking to use a smaller one and cut them in half.

Well a while later after looking all over AND asking the clerk for help we got no where as the only small ones they had were solid. Well I finally gave up on that and started looking for a method to magnify the FPV view from a camera to use as a bomb sight for targeting more accurately. No dice in that train of thought either. It was then I passed the pet isle and saw the squeaky toys. Round, soft, pliable, and VERY annoying. I though what a great demise for such things. I managed to find two of them close to the size I needed.

Home I went with my balls in a sack and a drink in hand to further move the project forward. (had to do a check to see who is still reading all this AND paying attention)

I started cutting the pointy tips off the outer surface so it looked more like a Warhead and not a mine. I then cut the ball in half to be glued to my body / fin assembly. I left a few points on for durability but later found they kept it too stiff to produce the puff of air I wanted.

Here are the pieces parts and final assembly after a successful proof of concept and a material failure.

Squeaky toy that will become the war head.

Squeaky.jpg

New fin and body assembly

Fin Assy.jpg

Payload delivery system MK1

Delivery system.jpg

Delivery vent

Delivery vent.jpg

Body assembly and warhead (actuator)

Fin and warhead.jpg

Tested and successful Billy Bomb V1

Billy Bomb V1.jpg

Thru flight testing... (AKA tossing around the parking lot out side) I went thru many attempts. The first ones were too weak as I did not fill the warhead with enough flour to make it go poof. Several refilling to find a happy amount were needed as well as altitude testing (AKA tossing it higher) to get the desired results. I found the bomb actually tracks and falls straight with only a 10 - 20 foot fall to right itself and hit on the warhead every time. I also found if I put a spin on it the trajectory tightened up even more. Sadly the scale original design does not warrant any rotation so it has straight fins. The only thing left to add is BBQ skewer to the fins to make scale supports used on the originals.

I found the happy place I wanted the bomb to be in surprisingly quick. The only think I would probably change is to use colored chalk powder instead of flour for a more trackable method for knowing who hit where. That and the mounting of the warhead will have to be explored as the hot glue does not stick to the rubber very well. I will more then likely after a few refinements use RTV for final assembly as I know that bonds well to both foam board and rubber.

Once I work out a few minor kinks I will quick learn auto cad and produce a workable plan so other may build and or modify to suit their needs.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Excellent!! We need to get some video of these in action too! :)

I'm sure someone could recommend a good glue for these. I'm wondering if a contact cement like Welder's or classic Shoo Goo would work OK.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
One thing you may find is that a lighter weight of powder may lend itself to better release. Flour is super DENSE stuff that air compression would be difficult to efficiently release. Try using something like non-dairy creamer (powder) or even non-fat-dry milk (NFDM). NFDM may be a bit chunky, but put it in a sammich bag and smack it around a bit and it will break up to a finer powder. The idea is that the air has to move less MASS due to the lower density of the powder.

Meanwhile, I'm still working on the best bomb release mechanism for my 3D printed version of this. Keep up the great work buddy!

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Working out the FPV aimer thing will require a lot of trial and error to dial it in nicely, you could put it on a pivot with a little bit of flap so the angle changes with airspeed like real ones would do.

Captain Dunsel

Vortac bombs

Two things I learned from playing with Vortac bombs, back around 1986/87:

1. Talcum (baby) powder, works well. Mix in some charcoal dust left over from the barbecue grill to give the 'poof' a darker color.
2. If all the bombs are release at the same time, varying the amount of dust/powder in each one will cause them to fall at different rates and impact more realistically. This might be hard to do with the smaller bombs you're making, but it worked great when I dropped four Vortac bombs from a Senior Falcon!:)

CD

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
My mind went the same direction!

Working out the FPV aimer thing will require a lot of trial and error to dial it in nicely, you could put it on a pivot with a little bit of flap so the angle changes with airspeed like real ones would do.

I was thinking the same thing link a servo to the throttle and then put a transparency film with Height adjustment marks, (then fiddling). Ensure the OSD feed is over it with altitude reading, and now you ready to go to it.

Amazing Thread! I would love to see a video. and it looks perfect for a B or C pack plane. For an A-pack version, I was thinking of using shortened nerf gun bullet, adding ballast, but thinning out the tip. Should be easy to see and reusable?

Anyone else try this?

BTW I will be adapting this whole thing to my K-12 Build. ;) and many thanks.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@Wilsonman Thanks mate. I was planning on using colored chalk powder like they use to refill snap lines or talcum powder. My short mindedness stopped at the excitement of finding the squeaky toys and I forgot to pick up some baby powder while at the dollar store. That's why I tested with flour. Will surely be using lighter stuff for best dispersion once I get the deliver system better worked out. This was the very first test.

@ Foamydm Rock on mate these are scale SC250 bombs for the era we are working with so if you are team Luftwaffe they will be perfect 1/10th scale bombs when finished. This is why I am making them to begin with.

As for the fpv targeting you guys are thinking along the same lines I am. We will have three cameras in our FW -42 with head tracking on the gun turrets as well as a bomb sight. I can not tell all our secrets but if it all works as planned it will be impressive.

Thanks for all the input and compliments. I will be working more on this and will hopefully have full working plans out in a day or so as well as more pics and some video as well.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Here is my quick drawings with measurements if someone wishes to do this up proper in cad and make a pdf for everyone. I still have to learn all that stuff yet so probably be quicker for someone who knows what they are doing.

BB plans.jpg

Will do a write up for assembly as soon as I change a few things for the build and better "Poof" disbursement.

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Two things I learned from playing with Vortac bombs, back around 1986/87:

1. Talcum (baby) powder, works well. Mix in some charcoal dust left over from the barbecue grill to give the 'poof' a darker color.
2. If all the bombs are release at the same time, varying the amount of dust/powder in each one will cause them to fall at different rates and impact more realistically. This might be hard to do with the smaller bombs you're making, but it worked great when I dropped four Vortac bombs from a Senior Falcon!:)

CD

I agree with the talc and apart from charcoal the powered food colourings or paint tints can add the illusion of practice bombs.

In the 70s the balloon in balloon was favourite with a plasticine nose cap hiding a thumbtack. The talc was placed in between the 2 balloons such that the outer balloon burst freeing the talc and then the second, (inner), balloon burst throwing up a cloud of talc.

From my fading memory!

Have fun!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Thank you PsyBorg. I know I'll be trying this out and working out smaller version about 1" in diameter (22mm). which I am working out in my head right now...

Tench745

Master member
Someone with a 3D printer and some flexible material could probably print up warheads of varying thickness (springiness) that looked smoother and more "scale" than a denuded dog toy. Just a thought. Loving this!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hey where I come from we don't have all that new fangled tech stuff. We make due with what we got on hand or can find at a yard sale :p Well that or snag outta the neighbors recycle bins on trash day...

But yeah that is a thing to test if someone has a 3d printer and time. Its posted for all to use as they see fit. I will keep working to refine this version and see where it gets to.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I found the two squeaky toys at the dollar store. But I am sure ANY pet smart or similar place.. even Wally World will have them. :rolleyes: Videos to come when I get a camera man to help me. Cant toss the bomb high AND keep a camera on it. I am not that good hehe. Still have to cut out my second revision with I think better vents to disperse the powder.

You COULD be productive and try printing the warhead as suggested earlier if you are bored and so desire and have a printer. :p

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Just one? How about 8? The other cool thing is you can use the release for your smaller airplanes as well. I think that if you were to scale it up a bit and find a suitable spring, like from a pen, it would work just fine to secure and release your parasite aircraft. I designed this to be as small as possible for small aircraft but the bomb you could scale up for larger aircraft and have it all function just as well. You could even make the release mechanism integral to the parasite aircraft so the pilot could release when ready rather than the bomber pilot releasing.

Last edited:

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Just one? How about 8? The other cool thing is you can use the release for your smaller airplanes as well. I think that if you were to scale it up a bit and find a suitable spring, like from a pen, it would work just fine to secure and release your parasite aircraft. I designed this to be as small as possible for small aircraft but the bomb you could scale up for larger aircraft and have it all function just as well. You could even make the release mechanism integral to the parasite aircraft so the pilot could release when ready rather than the bomber pilot releasing.

Yup, I think it's a great system. For the DB I'm sticking with only one though because I'm really worried about a 22" span EDF bird being able to carry anything and still fly.
If I weren't getting the FT releases, your mechanism would be super cool on this plane. I definitely recommend anyone else use it if they're wanting a crazy bird like the DB.