FTCC18 "Billy Bomb" proof of concept

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow that was a lot of technical information in a single post! Thanks Dale and Josh for taggin in to aid the progress for us. Thank you Rockyboy for doing the work trying to get us to a normal looking bomb and not just some random shape that goes "Poof"

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Thanks Dale! I went in the complete wrong direction on the clamp tension - that probably hasn't helped me at all :black_eyed: I was starting at 25mm/s but will slow down some more, and tweak in the direction of your other recommendations too.

Also, anyone else think it's a little spooky how if we mention localfiend's name he immediately pops up in the thread? :p

Should we try this in other threads to see if works there too? :cool:

No problem man. I had the same issue with the screws the first time I tried to print flexible stuff.

And it's all Josh's fault. I didn't suddenly gain Google bot powers sadly lol.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sooo I have thought this thru and since I do not have a 3d printer and I want to move forward with this.. I had an an ah ha moment last night. I couldn't sleep again so I was letting the TV drone on in the background while trying to doze off and the infomercial time frame came. The one for Flex seal came on. Where the dude saws a large hole in the bottom of a boat and installs a screen door. Then seals it with this rubber type goo. I am thinking I need to make a mold and try that stuff for the nose cones so I can shape it nicely and more to scale and still be able to flex it when it bounces to produce the air pressure to make the bomb go poof!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Picked up some of the white flex seal last night at the local dollar store. I was surprised they had it. It was even a touch cheaper then the infomercial was. Did a coating on to the water resistant foam last night and that makes it nice and smooth and reasonably easy to take off so that is a huge plus. Now I just have to find a away to get the shape I want and find a good thickness for resiliency as well as "Poof" power.