FTFB F3A Pattern Aircraft

vhandon

I was interested in a plane capable of pattern flying but did not find any plans so I designed(copied) one.

I did not add dihedral but it might need a little. The plane is capable but a little bit of a handful. With some fine tuning and coupling programming in the right places, along with a gyro, I bet it would make a really nice and cheap pattern trainer.

Wingspan: 41"
Length: 42"
Weight w/o battery: 530g
Power Pack: C
Battery size tested: 2200mAh 3S (4S capable)

20230330_202712.jpg 20230402_135412.jpg 20230402_135344.jpg 20230402_135401.jpg

Attachments

• F3A-combined.pdf
    9.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

danskis

Master member
Nice work and great flying - it really flys well. And thanks for the plans! Take a look here for some other ideas.

model14

Nice work, good flyer; and you're a good pilot. What is all up weight and what battery are you using? Please add some pictures of your construction process.

vhandon

Nice work, good flyer; and you're a good pilot. What is all up weight and what battery are you using? Please add some pictures of your construction process.
Weight came in at 530g without battery. I used a 2200mAh 3S battery but a 4S would be even better.

L Edge

Master member
Impressed, even looks like a pattern plane of the olden days.

You might want to put some landing gear on to help with takeoffs and landings.

Suggest your explore props to fine tune the pattern plane. Look at the possible diameters and pitch. You will be pleasantly surprised when you hit it. A good brand of prop is APC's and also look into their wide blades which has excellent bite upwards as well as acting as a break on the downward movements.