FTFC'18 WWII Focke-Wulf FW-42

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Sadly after some tough family budget conversations we cut our planned Orlando area trip this fall so I won't be attending FF South. :(

But I'll have updated plans posted tonight or tomorrow so maybe someone else can build one for FF South! :)

:( Oh well. Too bad I can't make it to East next year. This year completely blew the budget and I'm a bit tired of traveling to distant meets after what will end up being 5 major flying events this year, one of which was *very* expensive and involved 5 days of competing with people who don't even like me and annoy my wife (who flies too).

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks guys - luckily we all have the forums while we wait for that unknown uncle to leave us millions in inheritance :p

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
PLANS PLANS PLANS!!

Attached are the FW-42 Mini v3 plans - should be good enough for others to build on, and I'll be giving them a test run myself in the week or so and documenting build instructions as I go.

These are tiled for printing on 8.5x11 - takes three sheets of foam board to build her.

FW-42 Mini v3.PNG

View attachment DTFB FW-42 v3 Tiled Board 1.pdf
View attachment DTFB FW-42 v3 Tiled Board 2.pdf
View attachment DTFB FW-42 v3 Tiled Board 3.pdf

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Great Maiden! I look forward to building this one. (I know, I say that about every plane. but I already have the motors setup. :)

Downloaded!

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Awesome!! I hope to see it in the sky at some point! :)

If you want a white one, or to do your own paint job, these plans should be good to build from. The decals I'm cooking up will be a paper replacement technique like Rasterize uses for all his awesome designs, so if you want to give that a try it's best to do the paper replacement on the foam board before the folding and gluing begins :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Sneak peak at the decal design I'm working up... more details over in the Team Luftwaffe thread

FW-42 Mini v3 Decal v1.PNG

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Wow that looks great! I may have to build another! Hoping to maiden my pusher version this weekend.

Excellent! Weather and schedule are looking favorable for some Sunday morning testing here in VA. Don't think I'll be ready to start cutting into one based on the v3 plans for a week(ish) though - want to have the decals done so I can do a build with both for the instructions side of things.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
More progress on the decals tonight...

FW-42 Mini v3 Decal v1.PNG

Just the fuselage left before it's ready for a beta print at the Staples. Looks like it will be 3 sheets at Arch D size

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Not fair the Germans get all the good graphic designers... ;)

Thanks, but when you find the good graphic designers please send them my way - I need help! :eek:

Honestly, it's been pretty easy to convert the plans into an SVG format, delete the unnecessary internal score lines, and then use the free Inkscape program to paint and fill in a basic design. I'd LOVE to be able to do the amazing shading and mottled color effects that folks like Rasterize and Localfiend seem to create offhand!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
On this size of the FW-42, my plan for the turrets is to have the printed graphic look like an open pit turret that was in one of the reference pictures, and then do a silhouette style gunner & gun that's fixed in place like a mini vertical stabilizer.

Not sure how it'll turn out, but should be fun to try :)

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Looking really great - how do the decals work? Do you just print them on regular paper and glue them on?

DamoRC

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Yep - print on large format printer is best - Staples will do an engineering print of this size for about $8 each - and then peel the paper off the foam and use 3M77 spray adhesive on the paper and stick it together.

Rasterize did a great FT video on this last year with the Gotha Gaggle planes

Last edited:

jpot1

Elite member
Finally got to remaiden today. The fully moving canard on my build made this quite twitchy. Lowered the rates to only 30% and added expo and smoothed it out. Second battery the plane started behaving oddly. Managed to cut power and landed. The power pod had ripped free of the skewers. Lucky I got it down. Already fixed for the next round. Success!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Awesome Jason!! :applause:

I got a chance to put mine up in the air again this afternoon. Launch is like a smooth dream - just floats away across the field, nice and stable! I ran into some gusty conditions and it jumped around in the sky a little bit - side effect of being a lightweight foamy. She never did go really fast for me on my motor/prop setup, but oh my goodness she will turn a straight loop in something like 15 feet! Just an incredibly tight loop with the canard surfaces moving opposite the elevator flaps!

It was slow and soft on the rolls however, and Jason I do confirm your decision to go with a larger sized aileron/elevon. The size I started with does just fine for pitch authority with the canard surface helping out, but when it comes to rolling it just needs more control surface area.

I did run into a problem though with turning into a tailwind that was a lot stronger than I thought it was. And unfortunately when you turn into a strong tail wind, the effective airspeed drops - a lot - and all the lift goes away. And if you do this when you are only one mistake high, then you end up with a nose looking like this...

2017-10-21 20.30.51.jpg

When it lost lift, I pretty much lost all control authority too, and she took a fairly shallow dive considering - maybe 30 degrees down bubble or so - but the landing was on hard dirt, and the battery which was mounted right behind the fuselage junction rammed forward into the smaller nose area and helped smash it all up real good. :black_eyed:

No other damage though, so I might just build a new nose on this one real quick so I can keep testing it while I finish up the decals for the pretty one. :)

Last edited:

HilldaFlyer

Sounds like you had as much fun as I did. The Ascender had the same stall characteristics when turning into the wind. Unlike all the planes I've flown so far, this one actually stalls.

Looks like you should be able to get the nose stitched up. Best -