FTFC'18 WWII - Giant Scale Flapjack

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Wait wait ft shindin how have I not seen the plans for this yet!!!??

Hopefully soon for those plans...

What a great project!

DamoRC

Thanks, I think it'l be suitably crazy. Just perfect for FF. Plus, I want to cruise around the skies with all the other WWII prototype planes. :D

I'm playing around with pre-liminary designs for the 4 bladed prop. I'm going with a sorta slow fly style airfoil, as this thing isn't going to be turning real fast. Current plan is to use some all thread to attach the props as well as set pitch. Just gotta find the math to figure all that out.

Flapjack Scale 38 Inch Props.png

Flapjack Scale 38 Inch Props2.png

Flapjack Scale 38 Inch Props3.png

Flapjack Scale 38 Inch Props4.png

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Got the motors in yesterday, so I've been playing with gearbox designs.

uOaDRhS.png

Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to tweak some things. The main shaft for the props is going to need to be bigger. 8mm, the same size as the actual motor shaft seemed big enough, but I think I should probably step it up to 10mm. It looks so tiny next to the props. :D

k5IcAuy.png

9EqGoWY.png

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Rigged up a quick enclosure for my big 3D printer out of some old foamboard and cardboard. Got a test blade printing now.

kzLCiP5.jpg

Should be finished tomorrow and I can get a better idea of it's base strength.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Why do you put a cover over the 3d printer? couldn't that cause it to overheat?

The power supply, stepper drivers, and control board are all outside of the enclosure. Nothing else is going to have a problem with the heat. I'm printing the blades out of polycarbonate. Keeping the chamber heated helps out a ton with bed adhesion, print quality, and part strength. It's not something you'd want to do with PLA, but polycarbonate, abs, asa, nylon and other similar plastics will all do better.

This is also a really big 3D printer, and the enclosure helps with getting the bed up to temp. I'm hoping it will be enough. If the print loses adhesion though, I'll need to upgrade the bed heater power supply.