• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

FTFC19 BV P.170 designed by Vhandon

vhandon

After completing the Grumman S-2 Tracker I realized I had enough time to join the FTFC19 challenge and have something to show at FliteFest Texas. I am a fan of Crimson Skies and wanted to do one of those planes. I settled on the Curtiss-Wright P2 Warhawk and started doing some research. That led me to the Blohm & Voss BV P.170. I decided the design would lean more toward the historical P.170 than the fantastical Warhawk.

The air frame is done and I will add the electronics next week then complete the plans. I did keep the design very simple and it went together relatively easily. I already started the plans and even though I have never created a set before that process is going well. I had a thought today as I was getting ready to create this post, "this is too easy, someone else has to already have done this plane." And I was right. I sorta feel like a heel and unoriginal now but I am still going to complete the build and the plans.

The entire plane is basically modified parts of an FT Tiny Trainer with three mini Power Packs, either A or F. It will only take about a sheet and a half of foam board to build but maybe a little light electronics work if you want differential thrust (i do).

I will go ahead and add the apparently only drawings for this plane along with the a cool Warhawk image.

3bb170.jpg bv170clr.jpg Plane_Warhawk.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome to the challenge!

Don't feel odd at all about choosing an aircraft - everyone will approach creating plans for an aircraft design differently and the whole community benefits!

vhandon

Really enjoyed putting this together. Unfortunately, not flying very well. My first flight was basically a tilt-a-world. I added a vert stab and the next two were better. For the next flights I will add some weight to the nose and limit the throws more. Not sure this design is workable as is. I think the cord for the wing needs to be larger. I will experiment more once I get to FliteFest Texas.

vhandon

Finally dialed in the BV170 enough to get a real flight. Shortened the main fuse and trimmed the obscene vert stab. Balanced about 30% from the leading edge. Also, limited the throws to about 12deg and 30% expo. Unfortunately the elevator is almost non-existent and just when I was started to get the feel for the plane a tree jumped in the way.

I never got above a third throttle. I bet this thing would cook at full throttle and even at low rates I bet the roll rate would be ridiculous. Don't even get me started with differential thrust. I was soured on this project after the first few attempts but I think there is a lot of potential for a fun plane.

So, I think this flight has convinced me to complete the plans. I will just add about 20% more to the elevator control surface.

Video below. Sorry about the sun.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Well it definitely flies. You should get it back in the air or build a new one and bring it to Flite Fest. Would definitely be in the true spirit of the event.

vhandon

Well it definitely flies. You should get it back in the air or build a new one and bring it to Flite Fest. Would definitely be in the true spirit of the event.
I am in the middle of fixing up a house to sell and time has been short but the more I think about that one flight the more I want to repair and improve this plane and get it back in the air.

Vimana89

Legendary member
What a cool build. I'm not familiar with that historical plane, but its right up my ally for a bit unconventional. I'd love to see you get it up and running again, best of luck!