FTFC20 SBD Dauntless-5 designed by Fidget

jfaleo1

Actually something harder than foam board behind it might be better. But I am glad it worked well enough. Sounds like you have a plan.(y)

Slowpoke51

I had the same idea the other day, after watching part of the giant p-47 build. I went over to my blueprints cabinet and pulled out the SBD.
Plans are the 100" Nick Ziroli Jr. that I never started in Balsa. I'll be building it out of Dollar Tree foam and Lite-Ply, 3 piece wing, and retracts. Will be using some of John's new Master series techniques, building it in sections. Best of luck to you on yours!
I had the same idea the other day, after watching part of the giant p-47 build. I went over to my blueprints cabinet and pulled out the SBD.
Plans are the 100" Nick Ziroli Jr. that I never started in Balsa. I'll be building it out of Dollar Tree foam and Lite-Ply, 3 piece wing, and retracts. Will be using some of John's new Master series techniques, building it in sections. Best of luck to you on yours!

Attachments

• sbd.png
    sbd.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Fidget

I was looking around the forum today. I didn't realize that @unrauv passed away in the spring. Also found in this post that he had plans for an SBD Dauntless. It's a little different than what I'm planning, but will be handy to refer to. And I wanted to put the info here in case comes across this thread at some point but wants to see all of the options out there.

Fidget

I've been focusing on my Rascal CNC build, but have been thinking about this some. I ordered carbon fiber tow from ACP Composites. They had the breadth of sizes that I wanted to try, and their prices were not far off from ordering things one by one on eBay. I also got some of their EZ Lam 30 minute epoxy.

I tried 3k tow for reinforcing a control surface. I used foam safe CA for this trial as Joshua Orchard suggested. The idea is to use this on the dive brakes that will have all of those little holes in them. I free handed this, but the idea would be for there to be 2 holes in each of the U's. I added the piece along the trailing edge as it would easily bend left to right without it. I think it still needs another straight piece near the hinge side.

Overall I'm happy with it, although I put it in "dry" and then dripped CA on it. Next time I would wet it and then push it in. I'm hopeful that would keep it from having that horse hair look, which I assume is from fibers that I broke while pushing it in.

1568199974489.png

Fidget

Slow but steady progress; got my 3mm "landing gear wire" from onlinemetals.com. I'm new to the retractable landing gear business, but got some from hobbyking that need 3mm wire. This seemed as good as running all over town looking for a K&S wire display.
20190918_215944_compress5.jpg

Fidget

It's been even longer than I realized since I posted. I've given up on the semi-symmetrical wing and adapted the FT Mustang wing. Now it's too thin to house the landing gear, and the clock is ticking. Also need to finish a fuselage design. Without being good at 3D modeling, I've been able to make formers but not be happy with how to design the skins. So I think I'm going back to a boxy fuse design. It will likely look like the SBD version of the FT Mustang.

Hobbyking has the VQ Models version back in stock, & I'm debating buying one of those for a more detailed model. (Link)

Fidget

I'm officially not going to get this done for this year's challenge. I tried a 10-sided and simple box fuselage design, but didn't get either finished. I think I need more experience and probably 3D modeling skills to make this a success.

ThatsALotOfPlanes

I know how discouraging rounded fuselages can be, I designed an F4F early this year and it took a lot of head-scratching. I used posterboard over a series of formers. I actually started the design process for the skin by taking copy paper and using trial and error to get a rough idea of the shapes and dimensions before transferring it to posterboard for another round of trial and error. I wrote myself little notes on changes I needed to make along the way to help remember everything. After I was happy with the rough shape, I took all the pieces I had made and scanned them with a copier, and then traced them into Inkscape (which is a fantastic program for simple plane design). The final design wasn't perfectly perfect, but it was pretty good. One issue I had was the posterboard bowed outward a little, so I used 5 or 6 rings of posterboard to minimize their length so the bowing wasn't as noticeable.

20201222_183519.jpg

The rear posterboard hasn't been put on yet so the rearmost formers are visible. The front formers are attached to a box fuselage on the inside, and the rear is designed like the FT P-47. On top of the wing, the bottom edge of the posterboard pieces bowed outwards a lot because they aren't a full tube, so I put a few pieces on each side that push into the wing and act as an anchor.

Basically, as soon as I simplified to the process by doing trial and error in real life instead of on a computer, it all worked surprisingly well.
Good luck if you continue this project!
Sam

Last edited:

mackaiver

Elite member
No, I ran out of patience for making the rounded fuselage that it needed. Between that and the mechanics of getting the flaps, dive brakes, and bomb drop designed I decided to come back to it sometime when I have more experience.
also try just making a flying version then making flaps and airbrakes.