FTFC22: Build-ruary by FlyingTyger

FlyingTyger

Elite member
FTFC22: Build-ruary by FlyingTyger
(Build Skill: 4 Skilled, Pilot Skill: 4 Advanced)

My tentative build list going into this challenge is:

1. Crossfire (new design)

2. Profile Panther - foam board build based on Dick Sarpolus' plans from Park Pilot magazine
b74b5f7b5b14d965b4fe6f4e65a05bb5.jpg

3. Hyper EZ - A Scott Neeman design found on RCGroups. My build will be his 30" version.
Hyper EZ.jpg

4. Spinsation - This will be a foam board redesign of the Morris Hobbies Spinsation. My version will feature a full fuse and will be reduced to a 30"-36" wingspan.
spinsation.jpg

Last edited:

FlyingTyger

Elite member
Crossfire

This was a brand new design by me, a low-wing sport/pattern style model inspired by some of my favorite pattern planes from the 1970s and '80s. A keen eye will see nods to Joe Bridi's Dirty Birdy, the MK Blue Angel, and the Sig Kobra. This is also my entry in The Hangar RC's Community Build-Off. Therefore, I will not be publicly releasing the plans until after that contest ends.

Construction utilizes basic A, B, and C folds and is made entirely of standard foam board. The wing features a fully symmetrical airfoil and is molded forward of the spar; no bent edges on the airfoil. The thickness of the wing also decreases as you move toward the tip. When assembling the wing panels, the tops of the halves are held flat to the table. This thinning of the airfoil creates some dihedral effect.

Here is a time-lapse of the build.

Flight performance is very stable. For this prototype, I used only ailerons and elevator. The plans will include a rudder. My controls were set a bit extreme for the test flight so it was touchier than I hoped, but adjusting the setup will tame it down. I was flying in a fairly brisk wind so I did not try any stalls, but it did slow down to walking speed for landing without a hint of dropping a tip.

Maiden flight video

In summary, I am very happy with the results of this first build, but there are a few changes I am making before releasing the plans.
This picture highlights four of them.
Crossfire1 Changes.png

#1 - I am not happy with the way the foamboard worked for the canopy and turtledeck. Going forward, these will be posterboard.
#2 - The fit between the canopy and the turtledeck was way off. I think this may be partly due to the struggle I had shaping the foamboard.
#3 - The front motor shroud transitions to a square fuse cross-section too quickly resulting in these sharp corners. The nose needs to be narrowed so everything can blend together better.
#4 - The chin looks too chonky and needs to be more streamlined.
#5 - (not shown) The prototype came out very nose heavy requiring ballast to be added to the tail. The updated plans will have the elevator and rudder servos relocated to the aft fuselage which will both help with balance and make for a more simple pushrod setup.
#6 - (not shown) I used a single aileron servo, but did not like how this setup worked. The updated plans will have provisions for dual servos.

But all-in-all, the design was a success as currently drawn.

Attachments

• 20220202_212130.jpg
    20220202_212130.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220203_001518.jpg
    20220203_001518.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220205_000516 (1).jpg
    20220205_000516 (1).jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220205_000850.jpg
    20220205_000850.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220206_140117.jpg
    20220206_140117.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220211_103729.jpg
    20220211_103729.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Tony that look great.
You have to double time it now! (me too)

Which will you tackle next?

FlyingTyger

Elite member
Tony that look great.
You have to double time it now! (me too)

Which will you tackle next?

The original plan was to do the profile Panther next, which would hopefully be a pretty quick and simple build. But I am feeling inspired to get going on my Sopwith Tabloid for the Dawn Patrol Challenge. So I may call an audible and swap one of my original picks for it.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
The original plan was to do the profile Panther next, which would hopefully be a pretty quick and simple build. But I am feeling inspired to get going on my Sopwith Tabloid for the Dawn Patrol Challenge. So I may call an audible and swap one of my original picks for it.
Consider the Audible called.