FTFF 2015 Scratch Build: Sikorsky S-39

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
That's what I was thinking also. I have a 128GB micro SD card for my digital camera. I think it may record a decent amount of time at 720p. at 1080i I don't think it will stand a chance. I'll look into this more.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Got busy last night with my build on a 75% Polaris. I'll try to get the video stuff more sorted this evening.

Aaaaand... I'm back onto foam supply. I've heard through other online areas that the usual 2" pink (or blue) foam board is becoming quite the hot commodity. Apparently HD does not carry it and Lowe's does not either. There are other 2" thick foam boards but the quality is not very good for our application. I will try to make a stop into my local HD tonight to confirm this. As I understand it is a regional thing due to it not being used much due to the climate. If I cannot source some here I may have to request someone from up north if they can buy a sheet for me. I currently have half of a sheet but its not enough for the entire build. I'll need at least one more.

The good thing is that the foam will not be bearing much of the load for the wings. The spar will be doing that work. The fiberglass will not be doing much either, but I am planning to use epoxy and glass on the root to set the dihedral. I'll blend the seam with poly/babypowder/spackle if the seam is that bad. So, if I have to use the less desirable foam then I can and will make it more of a challenge to work with a new material on-the-fly.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Odd . . . Blue has indeed been gone for about 2 years now ( :( ), but I've recently been able to source pink at HD.

. . . and here in Georgia, we REALLY don't need it as much as you do.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Got busy last night with my build on a 75% Polaris. I'll try to get the video stuff more sorted this evening.

Aaaaand... I'm back onto foam supply. I've heard through other online areas that the usual 2" pink (or blue) foam board is becoming quite the hot commodity. Apparently HD does not carry it and Lowe's does not either. There are other 2" thick foam boards but the quality is not very good for our application. I will try to make a stop into my local HD tonight to confirm this. As I understand it is a regional thing due to it not being used much due to the climate. If I cannot source some here I may have to request someone from up north if they can buy a sheet for me. I currently have half of a sheet but its not enough for the entire build. I'll need at least one more.

The good thing is that the foam will not be bearing much of the load for the wings. The spar will be doing that work. The fiberglass will not be doing much either, but I am planning to use epoxy and glass on the root to set the dihedral. I'll blend the seam with poly/babypowder/spackle if the seam is that bad. So, if I have to use the less desirable foam then I can and will make it more of a challenge to work with a new material on-the-fly.

If you can't source it locally I can look around here. I was going to need to grab another sheet of 1" for crating anyway. I haven't looked too closely yet at how I'm going to pack the trailer but I can probably get the whole sheet in there without too much trouble. If it can be cut into smaller sections than 8'x4' then I can DEFINITELY fit it.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I know where you can probably get some thicker foam of high quality. It'll probably cost quite a bit more, but you can get it.

aircraftspruce.com

abieex

Mentor
Our Lowes/HD is stocking a pink foam but its more grainy and much softer than the original. I may be forced to start using the white again.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Went to the store... GOT IT!!! only $21 total. About as flat as I could get but manageable. I'm all set.

Also looked into the camera situation. So at 720p I can record 11 hours on the 128GB SD card I have. Pretty sure the battery will not last that long. Then at 1080i I can record nearly 7 hours. Maybe go with 1080i and record for critical stuff? Pretty sure I'll need to charge it overnight too... somewhere.

wilmracer

Mentor
Went to the store... GOT IT!!! only $21 total. About as flat as I could get but manageable. I'm all set.

Also looked into the camera situation. So at 720p I can record 11 hours on the 128GB SD card I have. Pretty sure the battery will not last that long. Then at 1080i I can record nearly 7 hours. Maybe go with 1080i and record for critical stuff? Pretty sure I'll need to charge it overnight too... somewhere.

Can you offload the video to a laptop or flash drive each evening?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I certainly can and was planning on that. I would have to process it each evening as well as my laptop only has a hard drive capable of 238 GB total. My wife has a USB3.0 back-up drive that I may steal for this too. I believe it has a 1TB capacity.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor

Which camera do you have? how power hungry is it? If it can run off an external source shouldn't be hard to rig up a regulator and a sufficiently large lipo pack -- put on a voltage alarm and swap as needed. Pester me on chat if you want to go this route -- I'll see what I can put together for you.

Another thing to keep in mind . . . do you really want 30-40+ hours of video? To put it into perspective, if you ran 1 second time-lapse and reformatted it to 30fps, 30 hours of stills works out to an hour of video. That's like a full 10 minutes of rivets in hyperspeed ;) I learned a LONG time ago that oversampling creates a burden of it's own for no benefit. Anything you'll want to capture real time for instructive use will likely not be at a suitable angle for the long term video -- you might be better off filming those spots with another camera at HD. If you don't REALLLLLLLY want it, It's worth the effort to find a slower sample rate you're happy with.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Excellent points Dan. I'll have a look at my Camera... its an older polaroid thing but works well for what I do. It charges off the USB and I'm not sure if I can use the camera while its plugged in... One more thing to check. The more I think about the logistics of all this data management alone makes me have more respect for the FT guys and their occasional loss of files or footage. I'm thinking that I should capture key steps now and can time-lapse those as needed. I think whizzing through hot-wire cutting would be fun as well as seeing a big block of foam take shape in a matter of seconds.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I received my two Lemon Rx receivers in the mail yesterday. Glass cloth inventory looks good. At this point I think I'm in good shape. I am really looking forward to this build. It is not a typical build for me. I usually choose something that has seen military service and is a bit more "sporty." I want to point this out as this community has been the driving force for this project. The community selected the genre, the subject, and has helped me with the planning and gotten me to maintain the motivation for this project. There is no doubt that this will be an "epic" build at FTFF2015 and I have you all to thank for it.

I look forward to seeing old friends there as well as meeting new ones. Since making the migration over to these forums from others it has been clear that it was the right move for me. I've learned much here and been able to share much with others. I have no doubt that this will become an annual project for me. I look forward to this build and discussing with all of you what will be in store for next year's project as well.

wilmracer

Mentor
I received my two Lemon Rx receivers in the mail yesterday. Glass cloth inventory looks good. At this point I think I'm in good shape. I am really looking forward to this build. It is not a typical build for me. I usually choose something that has seen military service and is a bit more "sporty." I want to point this out as this community has been the driving force for this project. The community selected the genre, the subject, and has helped me with the planning and gotten me to maintain the motivation for this project. There is no doubt that this will be an "epic" build at FTFF2015 and I have you all to thank for it.

I look forward to seeing old friends there as well as meeting new ones. Since making the migration over to these forums from others it has been clear that it was the right move for me. I've learned much here and been able to share much with others. I have no doubt that this will become an annual project for me. I look forward to this build and discussing with all of you what will be in store for next year's project as well.

We're looking forward to seeing it come together! I'm really getting excited for FF. Only about 5 weeks now!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
In three weeks from TODAY I will be arriving. Super excited and looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones.

At this point in the build I am confident in all of my supplies, tools, etc. Thinking of all that I am bringing, I may be able to bring one airplane with me. I probably will not, just to keep my focus on the build. If I can get my P-47 in the air then I am seriously considering bringing it.

I want to, again, thank everyone who has contributed their opinion on the subject selected, input on construction, planning, support, and excitement for this project. I am confident it will be a win because of this great community.

I must also place my additional thoughts. I think that if we can get vendors to see the community value of this build it could lead to more complex builds. These builds would be something where their products could be a showcase where financially I would not be able to do them on my own. I'm not looking to be a sponsored builder, but I do think that vendors putting their products in this light and in cooperation with a community-based project would go over well with the consumer-vendor relationship.

wilmracer

Mentor
I'm really looking forward to this! I agree too... Sponsoring a community build would be a very cool thing for a vendor (or vendors) to do.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
In three weeks from TODAY I will be arriving.

ACK!!! don't tell me that! I've got too many things to do between now and then ;)

Glad to hear you're ready. We'll keep a spot warm for you.

(actually all I've got to do is clean and cover a balsa fuse, waterproof a Punjet, repaint a wing, prep a kayak for the season, test out some electronics, fiddle with some camera gear, build a charge harness, prep for a week of camping . . . and I'm sure I'm leaving something out . . . Plenty of time :eek: )

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Spent some time on one more detail for this project. There is an engine cover that is fairly prominent in this build. The easiest way to replicate this was to simply print it. My printer will pretty much print anything you want but the thickness of the paper is heavier than most cardstock. It should also help to remove any need for being careful about details underneath it to make the dummy engine build-up go a little more smoothly.

Attachments

• IMG_1566.JPG
    IMG_1566.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • S39 engine.jpg
    S39 engine.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 16