FTFF 2015 Scratch Build: Sikorsky S-39

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
So the Hobby King order finally came in this week. I looked over the parts and I did measure the OD of the wire to order my tubing. It measures 0.16" roughly so I can make my McMaster-Carr order and I can order my balsa soon as well now that temperatures seem to be more stable. I'll still need a sheet of pink foam and a new roll of solder. I'll be using a lot on this build and I would hate to run out.

Attachments

• IMG_1415.JPG
    IMG_1415.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1416.JPG
    IMG_1416.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1417.JPG
    IMG_1417.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1418.JPG
    IMG_1418.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1419.JPG
    IMG_1419.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 12

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Well, I appreciate the offer. I'm not sure if your local hardware store carries 2" foam sheets. They are usually about $20 a piece. If I do not have to haul that it would save me some logistical concerns about hauling it from MD with as few dings as possible.

abieex

Mentor
I buy 1 7/8" formular 250 for solid wing cores at Home Depot. You can see it at www.foamular.com. If you need the full 2" let me know and I'll find it for you here.

Last edited:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
That foam will be sufficient I think. I will have to check the plans. I'll go ahead and bring my own as its not that much to pack and I will be doing a lot of cuts. Would hate to break someone else's equipment.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I placed my McMaster Carr order. Only $61, which is not bad for all the hardware I am getting for that.

I went over my list again and it looks solid. I'll probably need someone to pickup some Ketchup packets from a burger place. I can use it to clean my solder joints after they are done. The acid will wash away the burned flux leaving clean brass and solder. There will be about 60-80 joints in all so this could be planned for... or just steal a bottle from someone :cool:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Hardware came in. I've started to put major parts into one box so that I do not forget the major things. 4 servos tested. Motor, esc, hinges, etc. Tested the fit of the steel rods in the eyelet screws for the landing gear. Its a good fit. The wire slips into the brass tube as well. I ordered with a thicker wall as this will be the main support for the wing from the fuselage. I also did not want the brass to deform during soldering and this should also be prevented by having a thicker wall. Many more bits a pieces to gather but its starting to come together.

Attachments

• IMG_1425.JPG
    IMG_1425.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1426.JPG
    IMG_1426.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 17

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Indeed! We are less than 3 months away here. I have ample time to tie up any mishaps.

I think I may have a job for someone to do... the ring terminals that will be soldered to the bracing wires have the appropriately-sized rings for attachment to the surfaces but the hole for soldering to the wires will need to be enlarged with needle-nosed pliers. I ordered a pack of 100 but should only need around 60 for the plane. :rolleyes: Each terminal will need to be sized for soldering and will eat a lot of time. I could not find sizing that would be right on both ends. As this is normally an electrical component it makes sense. No way around it.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Mulling over the plans again... Main wing/engine thrust line is +3.0 degrees. Tail incidence is at 0 degrees. I think that the best way to assemble the tail to the wing may be on the fuselage itself. I will bring my incidence meter. Some may want to see how to use one. I usually do everything through precise measurement and check it as an afterthought.

twodogs

Any plans to video and or possibly live stream this for those of us that can't go? If I could go I would probably spend the whole time just watching you build.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I have a 128GB mirco SD card for my camera. I plan to record in 720P and do a time lapse video once its done. Of course I will be tring to post pictures along the way.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I'm currently working on the vectored graphics for the vinyl. I'm nearly done. I seem to remember someone on these forums offering to cut the vinyl for me? I may be wrong.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I completed the cut files. The red vinyl has been sent to Callie's graphics and shipped yesterday. The black vinyl was much more limited so I decided to get the bit cut myself on my Silhouette SD. These parts had to be traced in a vector image editor. I use Inkscape personally because its free. My wife is a graphic designer and uses Illustrator. The black consisted of the window pieces as well as some lettering and of course the logo you see in the image below. Keep in mind that this level of detail is not necessary per se but being the overachiever on this project I wanted to see how far I could push this little machine to cut what I wanted.

The image you see is NOT a printout. I went through the entire process of cutting, removing bits, applying masking tape, peeling off the backing, and applied it to a sheet of paper. I wanted to be sure that the very thin pieces would adhere well and make it to the plane before I backed off on the detail.

Credit where it's due: My wife did the Sikorsky logo in the image you see. Before some folks go all scale crazy on me the logo is intentionally different than what it really is. For one... Sikorsky is still an active company and use of their logo would be in violation of their copyright or registered trademark. The wing was flipped and modified with sufficient detail to resemble their logo without losing the signature that this will be a Sikorsky aircraft.

I did the work on vector traces of all the other pieces. Callie cut all of the red parts and at $40 shipped I could not be happier for that. I sent her the vectored drawings and she returned with a quote in less than a day.

Attachments

• IMG_1481.JPG
    IMG_1481.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 10