FTFF 2017 International Air races: Design-Off

SHolman

Maybe someone could come up with one like the FlugTag gear. It just stays on the ground when you lift off.

On the Gee Bee, I read that there was more surface area in the vertical orientation that there was wing area.

Corbarrad

Maybe someone could come up with one like the FlugTag gear. It just stays on the ground when you lift off.

I have the indistinct feeling that for a lot of the teams that cart proved to be more of a liability than an asset.. even with the "Flite Riot" team the high speed taxi run in the VLog looked faster than their acrual takeoff from the ramp...

That said takeoff "cradles" have been a thing in RC for quite some time.

The "real" Me 163 was designed to jettison its gear on takeoff and land on a skid as far back as thw WW2 era.

I'm sure there are earlier examples.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Hmmm. I just had the funniest (or maybe stupidest) thought: how about I go gear down for exhibition and in flight but retract the gear to land? Do I get the extra points for retracts if the plane didn't have any?

Keep it simple. Spring load the gear so that they're down in flight, but swing back against the spring on landing. Saves you the worries of them breaking on landing.

Corbarrad

Keep it simple. Spring load the gear so that they're down in flight, but swing back against the spring on landing. Saves you the worries of them breaking on landing.

*takes deep breath*
Booooring!

But you're right. It's probably the sensible thing to do. I also need to consider that whatever I design needs to be buildable, by slow-poke me off all people, in an afternoon or two at the most at FliteFest.

No way I'm checking in a plane for the flight from europe.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
*takes deep breath*
Booooring!

But you're right. It's probably the sensible thing to do. I also need to consider that whatever I design needs to be buildable, by slow-poke me off all people, in an afternoon or two at the most at FliteFest.

Well, here's the thing, you pick the boring options to get started, and once you get that working, then the fun begins. You can rest assured that I'm planning to do retrofits to my airplane once its finished and flying. ;)

Also, depending upon how you build out your model, it's pretty reasonable to build out the entire model, test it, and then pack the major components in your carry on. I guess this is the point where I really hope I can sequence with the FT crew to do some videos on how to make big airplanes pack down into tiny boxes. In the meantime, taking a peek at the Evo 3.1 DLG thread on rcgroups will give you some good ideas on how this is done.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
*takes deep breath*
Booooring!

Hmmm......having one kitted up in advance that could go together quickly would put me in the "likely to participate" category.

Corbarrad

Hmmm......having one kitted up in advance that could go together quickly would put me in the "likely to participate" category.

Designing a plane that's kit-worthy is kind of my long term goal.
Already was for FF2016, really but I didn't finish in time.
(didn't even really get started in time, actually)
So don't hold your breath.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Aviator08
Laird Super Solution 1930
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?29876-FF2017-Int-Racers-Laird-Super-Solution&p=305261#post305261

LairdSuperSolution_1.jpg

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
So there is a really sweet thread over on RC groups for a Napier-Heston racer that is just begging to be built for this contest. I took a look at the PDF that was just released by the designer and it looks like it would be pretty easy to build it around a swappable power pod since it is already built around a box structure. Would just need some re-scaling.

I thought I'd share it here in case there is someone who wants to get involved but is a bit intimidated at starting from scratch on the design process. Obviously all credit here goes to fuelsguy on that forum. He's putting the plans out there and I'm sure he'd love to see others run with it :) Balancing it will be a challenge but he got it flying!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2067294

Most recent PDF plans are on post #88

Fidget

Are you all using scale props as well?
I measured mine out and at scale the prop would be 15 inches. When I look at power systems that use 15" props, they seem over powered for the weight I'll probably end up at.

Fidget

How long do we think these races will last? Trying to figure out a power system and how much battery life I should be shooting for.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Hey all. How are all the projects coming? Haven't seen many new posts on the forums. It's only a month and a half till the deadline. I don't want to win by default!  :)

Tim

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
No worries there - I'll be back in the air with the Caudron this weekend - with video this time! :)