Getting back into RC and hit with a massive customs charge!!

BradB111

Hello all,

As the title says I am just getting back into RC after not really being able to afford to continue, i have ordered (from flite test) The inductrix, versacopter parts + electronics and a DX8 amongst other bits and pieces to be delivered to me in the UK (also getting back into heli's and have Blade 180 CFX waiting to be flown :D, cant wait)

Of course I ordered from the FT store as I love the channel and its the only place I can get a versacopter (looks like a great frame) ;).

I've just called parcelforce who are now dealing with my items and they have told me I will be charged £154 by customs (haven't received any documentation yet) and considering my order came to £620 that's quite a substantial amount in comparison. Not the best of starts, haha.

I'm not quite sure if there's anything I can do about it at all or if anyone has had a similar experience ordering from FT in the UK

---------------
On a side note I have ordered from FT in the past The anycopter Tri and spare parts if i remember correctly and wasnt charged.

Anyway I would love to hear your experiences and welcome to any advice regarding the charge.

EDIT: have called parcelforce again and asked them to elaborate on the charge and it seems that its the VAT charges, not the best but unavoidable I guess. Just want to get flying!

Last edited:

Busted Bricks

This goes for all purchases from outside EU. You will have to pay VAT and fees. IIRC if the value is below £50 you will not be charged VAT and fees. Whilst it's nice to see you support FT, many of those items could easily have been bought in UK.

BradB111

This goes for all purchases from outside EU. You will have to pay VAT and fees. IIRC if the value is below £50 you will not be charged VAT and fees. Whilst it's nice to see you support FT, many of those items could easily have been bought in UK.

Definitely, the support for the channel was the main reason for ordering through FT store, I don't mind paying the charge whatsoever but it kind of caught me off guard being completely honest. You live and learn I guess.

On a slight tangent would anyone be able to recommend the best spares to buy for the versacopter, ordered extra props but what else usually goes when a crash occurs? No doubt there will be plenty of those :D

Rokcrln

Welcome back into the hobby! I too am a returning addict and I also have been buying what can from FT but in in the US so no extra charges. Let us support FT with purchases and support it with build threads and videos of your flights! This will in turn get more people watching and hopefully getting into the hobby. Then this will get more store action for FT. It's a win win.

Kevin
Winters CA.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Not sure if it may come out more cost effective to order from the EU, but Graupner are now importing FliteTest products to the EU:

https://www.graupner.com/Flitetest

They even have a LHS retailer search function on that page and I see that if you wanted to make a bit of a long drive/boat ride, you could visit Calais and order/buy from a LHS there (I would call first to check stock!). Parlez vous Francais?

BradB111

Not sure if it may come out more cost effective to order from the EU, but Graupner are now importing FliteTest products to the EU:

https://www.graupner.com/Flitetest

They even have a LHS retailer search function on that page and I see that if you wanted to make a bit of a long drive/boat ride, you could visit Calais and order/buy from a LHS there (I would call first to check stock!). Parlez vous Francais?

Ill keep my eye out, thanks for that.

jack10525

Definitely, the support for the channel was the main reason for ordering through FT store, I don't mind paying the charge whatsoever but it kind of caught me off guard being completely honest. You live and learn I guess.

On a slight tangent would anyone be able to recommend the best spares to buy for the versacopter, ordered extra props but what else usually goes when a crash occurs? No doubt there will be plenty of those :D

I recently built my versacopter and have flown and crashed it many times in the last 2-3 weeks. It's pretty durable but I have managed to bend a motor rotor (ordered replacement motor), broke the delrin side pieces (ordered new sides and power/antenna holder), broke the power/antenna holder. Lost a couple of motor nuts. Had extra ones that were included with the kit.

In my case I would say a complete back up versacopter and motors/esc's would be nice to have. I plan on getting the better motors in the future.

BradB111

I recently built my versacopter and have flown and crashed it many times in the last 2-3 weeks. It's pretty durable but I have managed to bend a motor rotor (ordered replacement motor), broke the delrin side pieces (ordered new sides and power/antenna holder), broke the power/antenna holder. Lost a couple of motor nuts. Had extra ones that were included with the kit.

In my case I would say a complete back up versacopter and motors/esc's would be nice to have. I plan on getting the better motors in the future.

Haha, I was half guessing it would be a bit of everything, so I guess new frame and electronics would be the best way forward in terms of spares. That's one of the reasons I went for the versacopter, it does look incredibly solid when compared to some other frames out there. cant wait to get it.

--------------------
Also I've read some bad reviews about batteries for the inductrix? I believe its the connector causing the issues? need to do a bit more reading I think.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You will be surprised how sturdy the Versacopter is. I suggest once the Delrin parts are no longer useable not to bother replacing then. they do noting structurally and are really brittle. I put mine into the ground nearly full throttle to a dead stop when I first got it and started flying, It landed squarely on one corner and the ontl damake was it broke two of teh fiberglass boom mounts and bent the heck out of one of the screws.

I have bounced it thru fields, across the lawn into gates and generally abused it learning to fly as well as pushing out of my skill range early on. Its still flying (once I put a receiver back into it that I stole to get my Alien up in the air) Still covered in grass muck and still in one piece. I have killed many a prop with it though so those you need bags of.

green stuff on quad.jpg

This was the last flight I had with it before I took the receiver and VTX for my alien build. I missed a cracked motor mount during preflight and this was the result shortly after take off.

motormount1.jpg