Getting into DSM[2|X] - New Tx or new Module?

EEAA

I currently have an Aurora 9 Tx which I love, but have been wanting to have the ability to both use DSM[2|X] receivers as well as get something I can use with BnF aircraft. As I see it, I have two options:

1. Purchase a lower-end Spectrum (or some other brand) DSMX Tx, perhaps a DX6i or maybe even DX5e.
2. Purchase a Hitec-compatible DSMX module from hammer22 over on RCGroups. He's selling them for $95 shipped, and reviews seem to be quite good.

I'm really at a loss here - there are pros and cons to each, which is why I wanted to ask you all for advice. Have any of you had experience with hammer22's DSMX modules? Maybe it would be good for me to get a second Tx regardless. I dunno.

Thanks in advance for helping me out with my indecision. :)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
You can get a 9XR and an Orange module for less than than $95. That should fly anything you throw at it. Never hurts to have a second radio and since it's open source, it's really flexible and upgradable...

EEAA

You can get a 9XR and an Orange module for less than than $95. That should fly anything you throw at it. Never hurts to have a second radio and since it's open source, it's really flexible and upgradable...
Hrm, that's not a bad option at all. I had forgotten all about the 9xr.

Thanks!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Or the even simpler radio option for just DSM 2/X would be the Orange Tx six
Very true! That would be even cheaper than the 9XR route. I only mentioned the 9XR because some of the BnF have retracts, flaps, etc. and need more channels, but since he asked about the DX5 I should have thought about that. I think it's because I forget Orange has full Tx setups instead of just modules and Rx's...
Anyway, good call!