Getting Stupid with the Tiny Trainer - The Challenge.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Built a tapered Armin wing for my TT as a glider experiment. Flies quite nicely although I might remove the big curved wing tips which seem to make it want to roll even after trimming it in (they most likely aren't symmetrical). This is all a prototype for my 120% TT build I'm planning. Might add a larger vertical stabiliser as well.
View attachment 149569 View attachment 149573
That's beautiful! With a wing that long, you'd want the fuselage long enough to counteract. I'd get the wing tips as symmetrical as you can, and then extend the fuselage by six inches to the rear. Just stretch it out!

If you were then to straighten out the lines on the horizontal stabilizer, just enough to add some more stability? Wow! You may really be on to something, here! (y)(y)

duckduckgoose

That's beautiful! With a wing that long, you'd want the fuselage long enough to counteract. I'd get the wing tips as symmetrical as you can, and then extend the fuselage by six inches to the rear. Just stretch it out!

If you were then to straighten out the lines on the horizontal stabilizer, just enough to add some more stability? Wow! You may really be on to something, here! (y)(y)
Yeah I was thinking I may as well use the simple soarer fuselage which is nice and long. But yeah I think I can probably just glue some extra FB on the stabs and get better stability. Onto the 120% build. Thanks

duckduckgoose

Didn't get very stupid with it (though I am cooking up something stupid), but I just built a 120% Tiny Trainer with the sports wing, powered by a 2200mah 3s lipo, a sunnysky 2216 1250kv motor and a 8x6 prop. Just achieved a PB flight of 31 minutes keeping throttle at of below 50% which is probably not such a big deal for veteran TT pilots, but for me is mind bending, the best I had done was 21 minutes with the Spear. It was gliding probably 1/4 of the time, but WOW. I really like this plane. Already planning a longer wing with flaps
Screenshot_20200208-190354.png
Screenshot_20200208-191059.png

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
Didn't get very stupid with it (though I am cooking up something stupid), but I just built a 120% Tiny Trainer with the sports wing, powered by a 2200mah 3s lipo, a sunnysky 2216 1250kv motor and a 8x6 prop. Just achieved a PB flight of 31 minutes keeping throttle at of below 50% which is probably not such a big deal for veteran TT pilots, but for me is mind bending, the best I had done was 21 minutes with the Spear. It was gliding probably 1/4 of the time, but WOW. I really like this plane. Already planning a longer wing with flaps
View attachment 157142 View attachment 157143
Wow 31mins that’s amazing :). Looks good buddy.

Jimun

Elite member
Awesome

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Very nice! The TT is such a joy to fly. I imagine it's even better at 120%. I agree, 31 minutes is hugely impressive! I think the most I ever got was four or five minutes. Well done!

duckduckgoose

Very nice! The TT is such a joy to fly. I imagine it's even better at 120%. I agree, 31 minutes is hugely impressive! I think the most I ever got was four or five minutes. Well done!
Keeping the throttle down and gliding at every chance helps but yeah I love this plane. I have a 150% TT but I made the wing really thick (thicker than the simple cub wing) and it had way too much drag. I think I might build a new wing for it but keep it really thin.

duckduckgoose

Ok I promise I'll stop posting so much on this thread about non-stupid TT builds but I thought I'd post one last update. I built the extended wing (1445mm) with flaps and I just achieved a 41minute flight! This thing is beautiful to fly. With enough wind it happily sits still in the wind, and even rises on gusts. Landings are Smooth and it actually takes some persuading to touch down.
Unfortunately my camera battery was flat so I didn't get any footage, not that it's battery even lasts more than 20 minutes. Now to finish my TT seaplane...
IMG_20200211_160048.jpg
IMG_20200211_160104.jpg

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Ok I promise I'll stop posting so much on this thread about non-stupid TT builds but I thought I'd post one last update. I built the extended wing (1445mm) with flaps and I just achieved a 41minute flight! This thing is beautiful to fly. With enough wind it happily sits still in the wind, and even rises on gusts. Landings are Smooth and it actually takes some persuading to touch down.
Unfortunately my camera battery was flat so I didn't get any footage, not that it's battery even lasts more than 20 minutes. Now to finish my TT seaplane... View attachment 157522 View attachment 157521
Keep on posting! You've got it going on, and you're out there doing it and pushing the envelope. That's what this thread is about! :love:(y)(y)

duckduckgoose

Keep on posting! You've got it going on, and you're out there doing it and pushing the envelope. That's what this thread is about! :love:(y)(y)
Thanks, I'll have to experiment with bigger batteries/different props. Any suggestions? (Currently using 2200mah 3s with 8x6 prop and sunnysky 2216 1250kv motor.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
+1

Thanks, I'll have to experiment with bigger batteries/different props. Any suggestions? (Currently using 2200mah 3s with 8x6 prop and sunnysky 2216 1250kv motor.
Not really any tips of the top of my head but this data will surely help with my summer 200% TT build. Thanks!

duckduckgoose

I actaully wanted to beef it up and make it a touch taller to make it have more lift :). Why thinner?
Yeah drag is a killer. I made my 150% Wing with a 30mm thick wing thinking more lift but it was super slow and needed a LOT of power (2814 1000kv motor with 13 inch prop), sure it had lift while it was moving, but keeping it moving was the problem. Keeping it thin let's it keep its momentum, but you are always free to experiment. I'm going to build another much thinner wing for the 150% tt, and hopefully it will only need a smaller motor because I burnt out the 2814 :LOL:

Last edited: