Giant "C-3" Twin Test bed cargo plane.

EndeavorRC

(cross posted from the new folks thread!)

For my first post, I'm showing off my own 100% "in-my-head" built Cargo plane utilizing FT Foam I'm dubbing the "C-3". There were no plans and my only limitation was what I can do with limited time and leftover materials in two weeks. The idea was to make a stable, "flying test-bed" aircraft to upgrade with cool little things here and there. That being said, this is technically Version 3. The other two variants were mainly for suitability and stability purposes. She's not the prettiest plane in the world

Flight Video:

Specs:
-84" Wingspan (front and rear aluminum "U-channel" spars)
-72" Length
-2x 870kv motors swinging 12"x8 props (counter-rotating inboard) powered by two 4S 3300mah lipos (one per motor/esc)
-Fully retractable landing gear (Used spares from Freewing F-14)
-Cargo door with internal bay and chute for hilarious cargo drops.
-AUW is little over 6lbs.

Planned Add-ons:
-Retractable, pan and tilt FPV camera for a second operator on a separate transmitter. (two man Airborne Early Warning:p) *Tested on previous version, awaiting implementation.
-Piggyback aircraft launching system for smaller aircraft. *Tested on previous version awaiting implementation.
-Flaps? It definitely doesn't need them, but might be cool.

Overview:
Aircraft flies incredibly predictable and is a gentle enough for a novice flyer. It's handling and flight characteristics make it suitable for a range of fun add-ons.

I hope everyone gets a kick out of this, it was a blast making this and flying it! I do plan on posting any upgrades I do as time goes on. Let me know what ya'll think! I'm sure with the amount of awesome builders/tinkerers here, there's sure to be some awesome/hilarious things I could add to this!

Thanks for checking it out!
20210529_080625.jpg 20210529_080634.jpg 20210529_080647.jpg 20210529_080710.jpg 20210529_080821.jpg 20210529_080913.jpg 20210529_081002.jpg

Last edited:

jfaleo1

(cross posted from the new folks thread!)

For my first post, I'm showing off my own 100% "in-my-head" built Cargo plane utilizing FT Foam I'm dubbing the "C-3". There were no plans and my only limitation was what I can do with limited time and leftover materials in two weeks. The idea was to make a stable, "flying test-bed" aircraft to upgrade with cool little things here and there. That being said, this is technically Version 3. The other two variants were mainly for suitability and stability purposes. She's not the prettiest plane in the world

Flight Video:

Specs:
-84" Wingspan (front and rear aluminum "U-channel" spars)
-72" Length
-2x 870kv motors swinging 12"x8 props (counter-rotating inboard) powered by two 4S 3300mah lipos (one per motor/esc)
-Fully retractable landing gear (Used spares from Freewing F-14)
-Cargo door with internal bay and chute for hilarious cargo drops.
-AUW is little over 6lbs.

Planned Add-ons:
-Retractable, pan and tilt FPV camera for a second operator on a separate transmitter. (two man Airborne Early Warning:p) *Tested on previous version, awaiting implementation.
-Piggyback aircraft launching system for smaller aircraft. *Tested on previous version awaiting implementation.
-Flaps? It definitely doesn't need them, but might be cool.

Overview:
Aircraft flies incredibly predictable and is a gentle enough for a novice flyer. It's handling and flight characteristics make it suitable for a range of fun add-ons.

I hope everyone gets a kick out of this, it was a blast making this and flying it! I do plan on posting any upgrades I do as time goes on. Let me know what ya'll think! I'm sure with the amount of awesome builders/tinkerers here, there's sure to be some awesome/hilarious things I could add to this!

Thanks for checking it out!
View attachment 201111 View attachment 201112 View attachment 201113 View attachment 201114 View attachment 201115 View attachment 201116 View attachment 201117
Great design, looks like a lot of fun.
“If you post plans they will build it.”
Just saying...

Do post updates of anything you do with it it will very likely inspire others.

Pieliker96

Elite member
I'm a sucker for H-tails, well done. Any dimensions / further info on the alumin(i)um spars you used? And I second the potential addition of some big flaps

EndeavorRC

I'm a sucker for H-tails, well done. Any dimensions / further info on the alumin(i)um spars you used? And I second the potential addition of some big flaps

Thank you!

So, the aluminum channels I used are these, although the ones I got were a bit longer. (I think they're used for tiling?) :
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-1-...nished-Aluminum-Weldable-Trim-Channel/3053593

I had two, the main spar was a bit bigger and the rear on was a touch smaller since I had less room due to the taper of the wing..

On the subject of the tail, I PLANNED on making it like the C-2 Greyhound, To include the 3rd rudder (heh, Having worked on E-2D's and now C-2A's, I've a fascination with the whole way the rear end is designed.) The only thing that stopped me was that when i was doing a piggybacked launch with another aircraft on the back with a previous version of this build, there were a few times where the parasitic aircraft I was launching would lodge itself in between and I had to shake it off, making for a "fun" flight! After that, I opted for more of the Antonov aesthetic. I'm glad I chose this route, The rudders have almost an overwhelmingly amount of authority due to being directly in line with the engines...more than you'll ever need.
REF:
seyRU.jpg