Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Out of curiosity, why go with FOUR receivers, were you that worried about interference or signal issues I assume you set two in the tail and two in the wing.. was this to avoid needing really long signal wire runs between sections?

and why TWELVE 2s 2200mah batteries? you got 4 large packs for the motors, and 3x as much for everything else! haha. I can imagine the servo's need plenty of juice, but after a flight how much power was still in your 12 battery packs? I know the weight of these won't be huge to a 90+ pound plane... but that seems like a lot!

I am really curious what kind of insanity the wiring inside this bird must look like. It looked FANTASTIC. and given the information I can only assume great pains were taken to have redundancies and ensure nothing can go wrong that can be prevented. It really does Float in the air for it's size!

The reason for four receivers is mainly redundancy. I'm not just using four receivers, I'm using them with FrSky RB-10 redundancy buses. The RB-10 has two battery inputs, which powers both receivers; so if one battery dies the other will continue powering both receivers. Or if one receiver dies, or has a brownout, the other will continue working maintaining control of your aircraft.

The reason for FOUR, is so I don't have to run signal lines - which can cause degradation - from the front to the back. So I have two receivers on an RB-10 in the tail for the elevators and rudder, and two receivers on another RB-10 in the wing for the ailerons and ESCs.

There still is a long run of FIVE power lines from the nose to the tail (right elevator, left elevator, rudder & two receivers), which is added weight, but the signal runs from the receivers in the tail are all relatively short. And by using 2S directly (and 12-14AWG wire), no UBEC, I minimize the voltage drop down the fuselage.

The reason for TWELVE 2S batteries is also redundancy and ensuring more than adequate power to all critical systems. Each servo (except for the ailerons*) is powered independently by two 2S batteries in parallel; that way if one pack dies the other can still power the servo, and if one servo dies it doesn't fry the others by being on the same circuit.

*The two aileron servos are powered together by two 2S packs in parallel, not two each (which would be four), because the aileron loads are FAR lower than rudder or elevator, and it is far more sustainable to lose one aileron and maintain safe flight control than it is to lose one elevator or the only rudder.

The weight of the twelve 2S packs really isn't a large percentage of the total weight, and in fact I NEEDED that weight in the nose to get the CG in a stable range.

So you end up with:

Wing RB-10: 2 batts
Tail RB-10: 2 batts
Ailerons: 2 batts
Right Elevator: 2 batts
Left Elevator: 2 batts
Rudder: 2 batts

That's twelve! :D

Intashu

Elite member
See I thought I had a lot of flight batteries before... But here your flying more power in a single plain than I use for my entire fleet of birds!

Thanks for the detailed description! No doubt it's good to be on the side of overly cautious when one invests this much into a behemoth of a plane!

SSgt Duramax

See I thought I had a lot of flight batteries before... But here your flying more power in a single plain than I use for my entire fleet of birds!

Thanks for the detailed description! No doubt it's good to be on the side of overly cautious when one invests this much into a behemoth of a plane!
Not to mention the ramifications of crashing such a beast. Gotta be extra safe when you have 100lb and all the supporting kit. At the very least, it would be a huge mess to clean up.

IceMan86

Good GAWD this thing is AMAZING! Excellent job! Flies amazingly well (and slow, which I LOVE) This really has my gears turning!!! Please keep posting because stuff like this is definitely inspiring!

A+++++++++++

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
That is *definitely* a bird designed for LR FPV if I've ever seen it. As I look at designing and building giant Scale Birds... I can see how weight scales Exponentially. What was the biggest surprise? and what would you like to do with it?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Six more flights under my belt with the giant C-47! And five in one day! Also I’m learning to be more in control with crosswinds, but trying to remember not to get cocky. 😉

Here is my last flight of the day at an event this weekend called “BIGFOOT”. (You can find the other flights and a full recap of the event on my channel) :

The Fopster

Master member
Six more flights under my belt with the giant C-47! And five in one day! Also I’m learning to be more in control with crosswinds, but trying to remember not to get cocky. 😉

Here is my last flight of the day at an event this weekend called “BIGFOOT”. (You can find the other flights and a full recap of the event on my channel) :

I wouldn’t say that thing has the most authentically scale looking flight characteristics I’ve ever seen. But it’s definitely in the top… one. 😀