• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Glow Power (RIP)

This is a question I am very interested in the answer to. Do you guys think Piston power is dead? I fly electric but honestly I don't think it has near the power of glow engines. I really dont. Do you think it will live on, or are we looking at 15 year complete extinction? Your thoughts?

I fly electric glow and gas what I see more then anything guys switching more to gas for cost savings so I do see glow going down the road eventually unless they lower glow fuel prices but that will be years and years down the road. I know with the newer small gas engines I am switching more of my planes to gas. Currently 5 Evolution 10cc gassers and 2 17cc NGH gassers 1 30 cc gasser and 17 nitro planes. With 12 electrics which are smaller planes using 3S and 4S 2200mah batteries except one which takes 6S 5200mah after that one with the cost of batteries now all my larger planes are nitro or gas.

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Well, electric is really taking off (sorry!) but I think that most of the people who have been in the hobby for more than 10 years have got piston power planes. So yes the future is electric, but glow still alive and kicking (sorry again!)

I fly electric glow and gas what I see more then anything guys switching more to gas for cost savings so I do see glow going down the road eventually unless they lower glow fuel prices but that will be years and years down the road. I know with the newer small gas engines I am switching more of my planes to gas. Currently 5 Evolution 10cc gassers and 2 17cc NGH gassers 1 30 cc gasser and 17 nitro planes. With 12 electrics which are smaller planes using 3S and 4S 2200mah batteries except one which takes 6S 5200mah after that one with the cost of batteries now all my larger planes are nitro or gas.
You and I have similar schools of thought. Which is awesome lol, I have 2 evolution 10cc and one runs great, the other runs terrible, no mid range, never dead sticked but came terribly close, tore carburetor apart countless times, to no avail. Anything bigger than a .32 gets a glow or gas...my opinion.

PsyBorg

Fly Angry
Mentor
I think the move for fuelies will be to 4 stroke gas engines and will probably if not already fall under EPA regulation. I do not how ever see liquid fuel going by the way side as you just can't beat the sound of them screaming thru the air or across the ground when compared to electric stuff. Besides some ones gotta make the neighbors angry so they can complain to other like minded people who will get into fuel powered RC just to be annoying. :p

epiper are they both pumped carburetor?

As far as I know EPA is not doing anything about the small engines we run. no different then lawn mower engine etc now some are going fuel injected when you get into the 20hp and up.

Cost of setting up a large electric is way more then setting up a Nitro or Gasser plane so there will be a limit for some people and future cost of operation in the long term will favor gassers. If they could get the smaller nitro 40`s and under to run on gas then I think Nitro would be more limited but as of now they cannot make them reliable. With OS making a gasser using only a special glow plug instead of ignition box this may help the under 40 size nitros , weight is huge on the smaller planes.

epiper are they both pumped carburetor?

As far as I know EPA is not doing anything about the small engines we run. no different then lawn mower engine etc now some are going fuel injected when you get into the 20hp and up.

Cost of setting up a large electric is way more then setting up a Nitro or Gasser plane so there will be a limit for some people and future cost of operation in the long term will favor gassers. If they could get the smaller nitro 40`s and under to run on gas then I think Nitro would be more limited but as of now they cannot make them reliable. With OS making a gasser using only a special glow plug instead of ignition box this may help the under 40 size nitros , weight is huge on the smaller planes.
The first one, was not a pumped carbeurator. However the 2nd one is. Which is the one that runs right.

The first one, was not a pumped carbeurator. However the 2nd one is. Which is the one that runs right.
The unpumped carbs the tank level placement is critical and as short of a run as possible. Other things to check the fuel nipples have a blue gasket under them which are junk easiest is to use a little locktite on the threads versus making a new gasket, when installing the venture make sure the O ring is good and apply down pressure on the venture as you tighten up the screw. These 2 things have cured many mid rpm problems and double check all fuel lines for tiny cracks had that one happen to me took 2 weeks before I found my problem could not even see the crack and it was new fuel line. Worse comes to worse going to a pumped carb cures about all problems with these small gas engine.

The unpumped carbs the tank level placement is critical and as short of a run as possible. Other things to check the fuel nipples have a blue gasket under them which are junk easiest is to use a little locktite on the threads versus making a new gasket, when installing the venture make sure the O ring is good and apply down pressure on the venture as you tighten up the screw. These 2 things have cured many mid rpm problems and double check all fuel lines for tiny cracks had that one happen to me took 2 weeks before I found my problem could not even see the crack and it was new fuel line. Worse comes to worse going to a pumped carb cures about all problems with these small gas engine.
Thanks Alot for the Tip!!!!