Good morning from a sunny New Zealand.

chrisvdv

I am a complete newbie to the hobby that stumbled on this forum and then the Flight Test shop, just to see what it is all about. Then it happened:

My name is.... and I am an rc plane-aholic....... please help!!!!

Help number 1: Can I skin a completed foam board build with coloured duct tape? Will it have any negative or adverse handling characteristics on the plane?

On the foam board I used it's not possible to remove the paper, so I have to skin on top of the paper.

Thanks

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I am a complete newbie to the hobby that stumbled on this forum and then the Flight Test shop, just to see what it is all about. Then it happened:

My name is.... and I am an rc plane-aholic....... please help!!!!

Help number 1: Can I skin a completed foam board build with coloured duct tape? Will it have any negative or adverse handling characteristics on the plane?

On the foam board I used it's not possible to remove the paper, so I have to skin on top of the paper.

Thanks
Duct tape might be a little heavy especially on small planes but there are coloured packing tapes around which are quite light.

As for the removal of the paper here are a few posts where the, "Impossible to remove", paper is successfully removed using various techniques.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/quick-tip-involving-the-new-foam.32740/#post-329044
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ft-foam-board-weight.56039/#post-437022

have a read!

Welcome to the forum!

have fun!

Headbang

Master member
As stated before, but I am stressing it. Colored duct tape is way to heavy. Last plane I saw someone cover it in colored duct tape was a ft spitfire. It took 2 2200mah 3s batteries as far forward as possible to balance. Flew like a brick. Took a lot of effort to hand launch. On the bright side it did not acknowledge wind!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Can I skin a completed foam board build with coloured duct tape?
Colored Duck tape is a NO, Too heavy, cloth backed.
Colored packing tape is a YES, no cloth, only plastic. Laminate film also works.
I make all of my planes with colored packing tape.

It’s likely your foam board is also heavier. In the US I’m aware of two brands of FB Adams & Ross, both work equally well, both about $1 dollar per sheet. Other brands such as Elmer’s are too heavy and cost 3x more. Some in your part of the world have had great results with depron, I believe it is a flooring underlayment. Here is how Andrew Newton does it

chrisvdv

Thanks to all the replies.

Duct tape because the hardware store stock a variety of colours but no one in town stock coloured packing tape . That I have to order in.
The foam board I have used is called Jasart foam board and is the only brand available in hardware and stationary shops.​

The build I am doing at the moment is a scratch build FT Simple Cub and is mainly to give me some experience on building. I have ordered a F T Legacy kit and with the Simple cub experience I hope to build a well build plane.​

Again heaps of thanks for all your help, I do appreciate it.​

evranch

Even packing tape can add a lot of weight to an airframe, so if your foam is heavier than the standard stuff, you may want to test fly it before you start adding tape. Especially if you are a new pilot, extra weight will increase your stall speed and make it harder to launch and land.

As your foam is an unknown, maybe try a test piece with some different paints - it might work or it might not.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
@evranch makes a good point, weight is critical. That 10-12 oz/sqft of wing loading is where you want to be. Anything over 15 oz/sqft will be a pig.

In the US, depron is very expensive & foam board is cheap. From what I've seen, tape or laminate covered depron is better than foam board & I would use it if I could get it cheap.

Both Hobby King and Tape Planet have a good selection of colored packing tape.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Even packing tape can add a lot of weight to an airframe, so if your foam is heavier than the standard stuff, you may want to test fly it before you start adding tape. Especially if you are a new pilot, extra weight will increase your stall speed and make it harder to launch and land.

As your foam is an unknown, maybe try a test piece with some different paints - it might work or it might not.

Agreed - if all you are after is some color then try some rattle can paints which are probably available in your local hardware. Start with a couple of really light coats to see how the foam reacts.

bracesport

Legendary member
just use clear packing tape to start with for waterproofing!

Uncle Bills has $3 foam board which I have not tried, I bought mine originally from Bunnings, and then from Gordon Harris Art supplies. Next time I will try Uncle Bills type as it is probably dollar tree foam.

phil the kiwi

Last edited:

chrisvdv

Hi Phil, glad to see you here.

That's what I did, getting the board from Bunnings. Warehouse Stationary also stock the Jasard board. Phoned Uncle Bill's and according to the sales person the board they stock might be Jasard board also.

My question about using Duct tape was because that was what was available in colour at Mitre 10 and Bunnings and I was curious to know if any of the seasoned members had any experience with duct tape as a covering on foam board planes.

On you tube there is a number of videos showing how to dress a board with coloured packing tape. (
) I can source coloured packing tape that is very thin from either Protector Safety or online from Primepac.

About Jasard foam board I weighed a sheet ( 30 x 20 inch ) and it came out at 178g. Anybody know the weight of Dollar Tree board?

Jasard board is a extruded polystyrene and the polystyrene core has got little lumps of material that makes it a bit dodgy to cut through at times. Also the backing paper do not peel off as easy as Dollar Tree board. Other than that it works.

Chris the Kiwi

bracesport

Legendary member
Hi Phil, glad to see you here.

That's what I did, getting the board from Bunnings. Warehouse Stationary also stock the Jasard board. Phoned Uncle Bill's and according to the sales person the board they stock might be Jasard board also.

My question about using Duct tape was because that was what was available in colour at Mitre 10 and Bunnings and I was curious to know if any of the seasoned members had any experience with duct tape as a covering on foam board planes.

On you tube there is a number of videos showing how to dress a board with coloured packing tape. (
) I can source coloured packing tape that is very thin from either Protector Safety or online from Primepac.

About Jasard foam board I weighed a sheet ( 30 x 20 inch ) and it came out at 178g. Anybody know the weight of Dollar Tree board?

Jasard board is a extruded polystyrene and the polystyrene core has got little lumps of material that makes it a bit dodgy to cut through at times. Also the backing paper do not peel off as easy as Dollar Tree board. Other than that it works.

Chris the Kiwi

Hi Chris, I get my tape from primepac, very cheap and very thin!

Any of the foam boards with card surfaces work well, incremental weight is not a problem at this stage! I can peel the Bunnings card off with a bit of work. Tomorrow I’m planning on getting some Uncle Bills board so I’ll give it a try!

I think the board at Uncle Bills is different, it seems not as straight and I think a tad lighter.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I do not know if it will help but here in Aus I obtain my acid free FB in either 3 mm or 5 mm from a picture framing and art supplies shop.

It comes in sheets 815 x 1012 mm and weighs 390 grams for the 5 mm sheet. A little heavier than the proper FT FB but far stronger and I build all of my planes, FT and own designs, from it.

Just whats happening over the ditch!

Have fun!

evranch

I just weighed a sheet of Adams DTFB and it came in at ~115g. So your board is 50% heavier! I wouldn't dress it with anything other than paint at that weight.

bracesport

Legendary member
I can confirm the foam board from uncle bills in NZ is Adams ready board. I bought a few sheets today for the next build, a tiny trainer. Actually I’ll build two, one for the brother in law and one for my son!

chrisvdv

I can confirm the foam board from uncle bills in NZ is Adams ready board. I bought a few sheets today for the next build, a tiny trainer. Actually I’ll build two, one for the brother in law and one for my son!

Can I PM you, I talked to the shop in Wellington but they do not want to do online orders and send it by courier to me in Blenheim.

chrisvdv

Just a heads up on my FT Simple Cub scratch build with Jasard foam board and skinning with thin packing tape.

Total weight of build = 881 gram (Complete with servos and receiver excluding batt.)
Wing Loading WL = 4.48 oz./sq. ft.
Wing Cubic Loading = 3.1
CG Horizontal anywhere from nose up to nose down as required.
CG Lateral = spot-on

The build was an absolute eye opener in terms of enjoyment and I have learnt so much about the process and technical aspects that I would suggest that everyone should try it.

My build is far from even being called good, but I still feel for a first time scratch build and with mostly the forum and other online info to help me, very proud.

Jasard board is not easy to work with but as an alternative it can be done.

Special thanks to Flite Test online shop. You guys rock. Placed two orders online and received it within 10 days after order in New Zealand. Still waiting for items from Ebay, now going for third week.

Attachments

• IMG_20190126_120326[1].jpg
    IMG_20190126_120326[1].jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20190126_120339[1].jpg
    IMG_20190126_120339[1].jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20190126_120359[1].jpg
    IMG_20190126_120359[1].jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Your build is beautimous! I've read so many mixed opinions on the Simple Scout, I can't wait to see the video of how yours flies!