Gopro Hero FPV?

LandroverS3

hi there,

I was wondering if you can use a Gopro Hero (1) for FPV. I see People using 2, 3 and 4, but I haven't seen A Gopro Hero. now you probably wonder: ''But why would you want to use a Hero?" The awnser is simple: It's cheap, I'm cheap. :p

Spastickitten

It'll work, go to some of the earlier flite test videos, they used gopro ones for a while. I just saw someone had a gopro one on their old versa wing.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The concept of cheap, I get. IMO, If that's what you got and you can make it work, make the best of it, however one word of warning . . . lag.

Most DVR cameras have a noticeably longer lag between what it's seen and when you finally get to see it than the typical board camera. If you're flying something slow and sedate where crisp control is unnecessary, then it'll not only be fine, it'll be a pleasure to fly. If you're flying something with responsive controls, the camera introduces a delay between action and result, which forces you to anticipate the responses, and can quickly take the fun out of it.

How bad can it be? Here's a fun experiment . . .

In fairness, the lag on a GoPro is in the low hundreds of ms, so less than several of the cases in that video, but the lag on a board camera is in the low-to-mid tens of ms, and remarkably easier to fly through. If the plane flies on it's own and you gently encourage it on course slowly, you should be pleased with the outcome. If not, inexpensive board cams are available for under $20 that can do the job well.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
A GoPro is a poor choice IMHO for an FPV camera.
They are excellent for capturing video.
In order to use the GoPro for FPV you have to use the Standard Definition video output on the camera (composite video).
There is a significant lag on this output.
Check your "People using 2, 3 and 4" and see if they don't have an additional small FPV camera as well.
The small FPV cameras are relatively inexpensive and have no lag. Go with a CCD over a CMOS sensor.

If you are really set on just using a single camera (GoPro for FPV), check it out first and see if you can live with the lag.
If you are not an experienced pilot you may not want to put your expensive GoPro on your multirotor right away.
I'm still to afraid to use mine for video, but I'm getting close. Mobius yes, GoPro no.

(I see Dan responded a bit more quickly than I - he must be having a more boring Monday at work than I am)

Best regards,
PCH

LandroverS3

wow, thank y'all for the quick response! with the information you guys gave me, the decision is made quickly. i'll stick with a board cam.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
I have a hero 2 on my tricopter. The lag is there and it is noticeable. However IMO it isn't enough to worry about if all your doing is just gentle flying around. On that note...Not all board cameras are created equal either. There are some that process the image enough to cause lag too. It pays to do the research.

As for using the GoPro on a multi-rotor, the video capture as well as the quality of the video out is really really good. The GoPro 2 also gives you a small OSD telling me the battery level and if it is recording or not (could be different on other models of GoPro). The biggest drawback is if your GoPro battery dies so does your video out! So keep that in mind!