Gremlin Golf

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The last part of the flying season I had redone my Gremlin after letting a kid in the local park have a go at flying. There was minor damage and the camera had to be reset.

In the process of doing so I worked more on the retuning for it to be more like a Tiny whoop on steroids. It flys really good still on 3s and is SUPER controllable. The last flight diving thru leaf piles and concentrating on staying as low as possible trying to target and hit single leaves down on the ground got me thinking what to do with it next.

Since Flite test just bought a golf course and Gremlins are super fun I was thinking maybe a Gremlin mini golf course needs to be added maybe close to the club house so it can easily be lit for night time play when guests are there. Nothing special maybe like 5 to 9 short holes like a mini golf courseyou can play thru twice for a "round"

Those whiffle ball style practice balls would be perfect for this.

My idea for play is to add a simple foam ring for the ball to rest on top of the Gremlins (sorry tiny whoopers) where the ball gets placed for the "tee shot" You take off from the Tee area in FPV (addendum: flying over something to set minimum altitude for the drop so you cant just drop the ball near the hole with out the golf ball bounce and roll) and try to drop the ball into or as close to the hole as possible. Typical foursomes and golf rules of etiquette apply. after the Tee shot closest to the hole gets their second shot. This is done by pushing the ball towards the hole in FPV. This can be done one of two ways called by the pilot each shot. Do you push the ball for the current shot or do you move it by prop wash.

Any contact of the quad with the ground causing a crash or separation from the ball ends that shot. Losing contact with the ball also ends the shot. If using the propwash method the shot is done when ball motion stops. Honor rules the game but for impending questions of said contact it goes by foursome majority of when and where contact was lost thus that becoming the balls placement for that stroke. The score is kept as normal golf with each stroke counted. There should probably be a stroke limit per hole to be determined as play happens to establish a fair play time policy so the lines dont back up for others wanting to play.

I can post the rates I have found to be super stable for whoop style flight using a Gremlin on 2s or even 3s so its a slightly more even playing field. These by the way also work well on any quad and can be used for super smooth cinewhoop type flying on any size quad.

Last edited:

OliverW

Legendary member
The last part of the flying season I had redone my Gremlin after letting a kid in the local park have a go at flying. There was minor damage and the camera had to be reset.

In the process of doing so I worked more on the retuning for it to be more like a Tiny whoop on steroids. It flys really good still on 3s and is SUPER controllable. The last flight diving thru leaf piles and concentrating on staying as low as possible trying to target and hit single leaves down on the ground got me thinking what to do with it next.

Since Flite test just bought a golf course and Gremlins are super fun I was thinking maybe a Gremlin mini golf course needs to be added maybe close to the club house so it can easily be lit for night time play when guests are there. Nothing special maybe like 5 to 9 short holes like a mini golf courseyou can play thru twice for a "round"

Those whiffle ball style practice balls would be perfect for this.

My idea for play is to add a simple foam ring for the ball to rest on top of the Gremlins (sorry tiny whoopers) where the ball gets placed for the "tee shot" You take off from the Tee area in FPV and try to drop the ball into or as close to the hole as possible. Typical foursomes and golf rules of etiquette apply. after the Tee shot closest to the hole gets their second shot. This is done by pushing the ball towards the hole in FPV. This can be done one of two ways called by the pilot each shot. Do you push the ball for the current shot or do you move it by prop wash.

Any contact of the quad with the ground causing a crash or separation from the ball ends that shot. Losing contact with the ball also ends the shot. If using the propwash method the shot is done when ball motion stops. Honor rules the game but for impending questions of said contact it goes by foursome majority of when and where contact was lost thus that becoming the balls placement for that stroke. The score is kept as normal golf with each stroke counted. There should probably be a stroke limit per hole to be determined as play happens to establish a fair play time policy so the lines dont back up for others wanting to play.

I can post the rates I have found to be super stable for whoop style flight using a Gremlin on 2s or even 3s so its a slightly more even playing field. These by the way also work well on any quad and can be used for super smooth cinewhoop type flying on any size quad.
This is an amazing idea...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@SquirrelTail Thank you my friend. I had a blast last time I flew trying to hit random leaves on the ground and not crashing. It really gave a quick boost in my fine motor skills as well as enhancing the way I judge altitude. Now if I could only rip my five inch quads that low over 3/4 throttle. Thats the new goal for this coming season.

This may also inspire a renewed interest in the FT Gremlins and get more people flying them. They are lite enough to avoid most registry rules and may be a viable way to get around the poor legislation infecting our hobby. Granted I still fly the original Gremlins on the original power packs but Im not opposed to building a newer one to get with the times.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Great ide Borgling!

I've thought about doing a ball pickup and drop mechanism for my f450 or f450 hex. They should do a close to pin drop contest too

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@LitterBug I was thinking about the "tee shot" as well now you say this I think maybe a bar that has to be flown over to set a minimum altitude would be good too so you cant just fly up to the hole and drop the ball right there with no roll or bounce like real golf.

Tench745

Master member
Intriguing concept. I assume if it's mini-golf there would be obstacles to fly in or around to get to the hole?

Reminds me of an idea I had once for quadditch, (quidditch played with multirotors) which has thread somewhere here on the forums.
I bet you could reinvent all kinds of sports to be played with quads; basketball, soccer (football), football, hockey, curling, etc etc.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@Tench745 I think mastering straight up pitch n putt first will be quite the challenge but could be easily added later. at least long enough to work the kinks out of the play methods. Something like foam board windmills and clowns can be added anytime after thats all established.

Too much too fast could make it too hard and thus stop any potential momentum for it to be a thing.