Grokhovsky G-38

leaded50

Legendary member
In the mid-1930s, the concept of the ‘cruiser fighter was very popular in design and planning circles. The Grokhovsky G-38 was one of many examples of this class of fighter that never left the drawing board. It was a twin-boom, multi-seat heavy fighter comparable in concept to the Dutch Fokker G.1 or American Lockheed XP-58 . The G-38, however, was remarkable in a number of respects, most significant of which was the execution of the twin-book concept. The Fokker and the Lockheed were large, bulky, even clumsy aircraft, as was the original take on the G-38. When Grokhovsky hired the young Pavel Ivensen to work on the project, however, the aircraft was transformed into something rather exciting. The new G-38 was tiny for a three-seat aircraft, with a wingspan of 13.4 m (compared with 16 m for the P-38 and 17 m for the Fokker G.1) and ultra-neat packaging. The crew were contained in a torpedo-shaped pod faired into the broad wing centre-section, and the two Gnome-Rhone radial engines tapered to super-slender booms. It had an incredibly low frontal area for an aircraft of its class, and a high wing loading for the time, and it’s safe to say that it would have been fast. Most remarkable of all was the fact that the preliminary designs were approved in 1934, making the highly modern looking G-38 contemporary with the Hawker Hurricane and Curtiss P-36. Had it not been cancelled (for ‘unknown reasons’, around the time of the major Stalinist purges), it is intriguing to consider what the aircraft might have done for the otherwise lacklustre heavy fighter class.

Grokhovsky “G-38”.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
i have some ZTW 2208 2100kv motors, and Racestar 2208 1800kv in mail..... boths would fit nicely. The ZTW motors, i dont have all specs on. Yeah, 30A ESC´s was planned. Enough room for a 3S 2200mAh battery. I made the underside of cockpit a touch bigger than orginal scale, just to get enough space for such a battery.

leaded50

Legendary member
This would be a crime to not fly! It is too beautiful to stay lying around! :cry: Needs to be flown
ive been test-throwed it... glides very nice.
I came out of hospital after a surgery wednesday, so would take some time before can try fly...

Last edited:

Scotto

Elite member
I hope you get healed up and feeling great real soon! That plane looks like the designers started making a flying wing, and then thought "the Party would never approve of such a thing" and put a tail on it. Dont get me wrong I think it looks awesome and you are doing a great job making it in physical form. How did you make the wings? Did you happen to get any pictures before folding it over?

leaded50

Legendary member
I hope you get healed up and feeling great real soon! That plane looks like the designers started making a flying wing, and then thought "the Party would never approve of such a thing" and put a tail on it. Dont get me wrong I think it looks awesome and you are doing a great job making it in physical form. How did you make the wings? Did you happen to get any pictures before folding it over?

Sorry enough, i didnt took any photo then, even if planned do it... i was quite "off" by medicines, and happy it get as planned :) when seen it the day after...
Top/bottom skins was made as own part, and used a tape fixing the skins together at LE, after shaped profile against tableedge. Wings was made as two sections, glued together after. I used 3 layer of foamboard as spar 1.st layer 2/3 out to the nacelles, next a bit longer, and last 2/3 length of wing. And the longest is against the top skin. That helped for the little dihedral. Spar is cutted away in the middle where cockpit is, and wing reinforced all way up front with a 300mm length carbon rod. The cutout for cockpit is also not fully to front and aft, leaving some, to keep shape of wing anyow. Underside is also a little curbed in profile, not flat bottom. .

Didnt do any cutout for the nacelles, yet it gonna get some cutout inside, at underside of wing, for cables from motor/servos, and perhaps wheels if make landing gear.

Last edited: