Grumman F7F Tigercat Scratch Build

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
wow, impressive! always loved these planes.

might take your fuselage and wing plans, then make some 3D printed motor pods if that is ok? (because i don't have anything else to be doing... :rolleyes:)

let me know.

me :cool:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
might take your fuselage and wing plans, then make some 3D printed motor pods if that is ok?
- Sure - might take me a while to prep the plans for posting.

So the Red Bull Race Challenge has me totally distracted but I managed to refocus my efforts on getting this bird finished.

First, finishing the nose. Laminated some foamboard with gorilla glue. When it was dry, hacked out a rough shape to attach to the plane. I added a bit of foam to the nose-hole (nostril?) for some better grip while I carved the nose. Using a blade, roughed it into shape then sanded it to finish.

IMG_3460.JPG
IMG_3461.JPG
IMG_3462.JPG
IMG_3463.JPG
IMG_3465.JPG

Then onto the paint job. In the past, I have painted the plane first, then added home printed decals using a glue stick which after a while, when fully dry, stick pretty good. I have also in the past used this approach to create a mask which I stick to the plane, paint, then remove to reveal the white foamboard. I decided on this latter masking approach for the tigercat and, boy, was that a mistake! Cutting the decals as a mask meant I had to remove every detail from the lettering like the insides of the "R"s and "A"s and "9"s. This quickly became a PITN. Cutting out the "MARINES" on the sides and lower surface of the wing nearly killed me. What's worse is that it didn't work as well as it has in the past, probably because it took me so long to get them all on, the adhesive had started to dry which made taking them off a PITN as well. Never doing it this way again.

IMG_3466.JPG
IMG_3467.JPG
IMG_3468.JPG
IMG_3470.JPG
IMG_3471.JPG
IMG_3472.JPG
IMG_3473.JPG

Oh well - from a distance she doesn't look that bad. Finishing touches were some red tape for the prop warning band and the red highlights in the roundels. Then some metal tape for the canopy windows. All in all, I am happy enough with how she turned out (as long as I look upon her from afar).

IMG_3475.JPG
IMG_3476.JPG

The trophy shot.
IMG_3474.JPG

DamoRC

Namactual

Elite member
Wow D, that looks great! The paint and decals really set that thing off.(y)

Do you treat the foamboard in anyway before you paint those or are you painting directly on the paper?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
@FOGeologist & @Namactual - Thanks Both!

Do you treat the foamboard in anyway before you paint those or are you painting directly on the paper?

I am painting directly onto the paper. This is the Rustoleum 2X rattle can paint from Home Depot. A couple of light coats first to cover then 1 or 2 heavier coats to finish. I think the lighter coats help protect the paper from the solvents in the paint for the heavier coats.

DamoRC

Namactual

Elite member
Have you tried the Minwax on the foamboard first?

I am trying to decide how I should tackle this on my first try. I like the idea of Minwax, but I am not sure about the weight vs finish aspect. I might just have to make a few sacrificial nose cones or something to test with.:unsure:

Last but not least, when are we going to see video of that bad boy in flight?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Have you tried the Minwax on the foamboard first?

I am trying to decide how I should tackle this on my first try. I like the idea of Minwax, but I am not sure about the weight vs finish aspect. I might just have to make a few sacrificial nose cones or something to test with.:unsure:

Last but not least, when are we going to see video of that bad boy in flight?

Nope - never tried the minwax for painting. In the past I did minwax some planes for waterproofing but I was using tape to decorate then. So I can't tell you what the impact will be. I had planned to test this but I am pretty happy with the results I am getting so never bothered (lazy bum that I am) :oops:

I am planning to fly Sunday, and if Tim is there I am pretty sure he will take some vid. If not I'll try to grab some with the phone.

DamoRC

Namactual

Elite member
Wow, that looks like it handles great!
Well balanced at all speeds. It looks like it has a ton of power as well.
Awesome build D.(y)

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Wow, that looks like it handles great!
Well balanced at all speeds.

Yep - I am very happy with how she flys. The video is the second of two flights today, the first was horrible for two reasons (1) I was a slight bit tail heavy and (2) one of the parallel connections for the 2 x 1600 mAh disconnected so both motors were trying to steal current from one battery and the plane was way under-powered. Managed to get her down safely though

It looks like it has a ton of power as well.

Yep (once you have the batteries connected properly :oops:) She is probably over powered and I think it would be a nice plane using a twin C-pack setup

Awesome build D.(y)

Thank you!

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Thanks guys!

I'll be over here impatiently waiting for the plans :D

Might take a little while to prep them for posting - I have two weeks to start (and finish) an entry for the Red Bull Challenge because I will be at the PGF Nationals (Softball) with my Daughter at the end of July - and I haven't even printed plans yet o_O

Will try to work on the plans in any spare time I have.

DamoRC

wcc963

Thanks guys!

Might take a little while to prep them for posting - I have two weeks to start (and finish) an entry for the Red Bull Challenge because I will be at the PGF Nationals (Softball) with my Daughter at the end of July - and I haven't even printed plans yet o_O

Will try to work on the plans in any spare time I have.

DamoRC
No worries, I've been going back and forth on getting the F7F from motionRC, but I'd rather build my own.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Sorry @wcc963 - they are not ready yet. Now that the Red Bull "thang" is done I am trying to catch up on the back log of plans I have promised. (The Canuck CF-100 is almost done)

I will sort out the Tigercat plans then, maybe a week or so?

DamoRC