Grumman obsession ... and other.

hsquier

Spectacular final result! Congratulations. No better way to build up your ego than building a masterpiece like this.

Thanks ! You finally put in word what I was trying for months to answer him.

This will at last shut him down.

PS : That said, it will really be "done" when maiden. I will report. These days awful weather (wind 20 kt Gust 45 with rain ...)

hsquier

Wings glued on.

20210314_133533.jpg
20210314_133543.jpg

hsquier

Some times you hit some of basic life's laws.

When you are somewhere (work, DLG project ...) ...
20210327_191712.jpg

You can't be elsewhere.
20210327_183238.jpg

Cruel raw reality.

20210328_104837.jpg

But perhaps founding brick of life's meaning ? Who know ? (Yes, this Sunday I'm very spiritual).

20210328_105010.jpg

PS for Thomas : Posting this picture after viewing for giant 3D thread I feel like a gnat beside an Bald Eagle.

ThomasMartino

Elite member
“PS for Thomas : Posting this picture after viewing for giant 3D thread I feel like a gnat beside an Bald Eagle.”

Haha this made me laugh! To be honest I will be very glad to build some small planes once I finish that project.

Regarding your comment about being two places at once; that certainly is the number one challenge in this hobby. Even if we didn’t have to work we would still get caught up in our new projects. I have two planes in progress and I’m fighting the urge to start another one. It’s the best kind of sickness.

Your plane is coming along wonderfully! Very neat and clean work with the covering. It seems like it should be ready to fly soon. What’s left to do?

hsquier

TADA ...

20210328_175203.jpg

At last maiden weather today ...
First sunny and, let's say it, nearly warm day. Light gentle breeze nearly aligned on country runway 27.
20210330_175419.jpg

Did I already told you I love this plane, I love it so much, I love the lines, I love ... Yes, I already told you.

20210330_175605.jpg

Well,
I checked good direction of control surfaces and decided that -/+ 45° was perhaps not suitable for maiden flight. +/- 25° would be safer.
The program was rolling test à different speed in order to "feel" the animal.
I forgot by excitement engine was slightly overpowered : rolling test became take of.

Whouaaah ! As I like, It went straight with the need of a little down pitch trim. I immediately knew at this moment I would love this plane.
A little trim left on ailerons and it flew straight.
As a little touchy (I used same CG than the profile F6F I had) I decided to land and add 10 gr in the nose.

Again in the air only 10 gr gave much smother feeling and she confirmed she would be the perfect tool to draw straight lines and nice curves in the sky ... I love this plane.
Inverted was ok with a touch of up compensation, rolls were nearly in line, low wing loading allowed veeeerry slow approach and various landings (2 points, 3 points, log, short ...). I love take offs and landings.
I didn't tire to make very low passes at low speed, sorry it's a little pretentious but she was so beautiful and proud.

I tested at last my favorite figure : take off and immediate vertical run for an huge wide and high looping ending after down leg in immediate landing.

I'm super happy.

Sorry for super low quality of footage, but even bad it's always fun with video (did you notice you always fly ugly when you make video ?).

PS : I will have to add white stripes on wing's down side for better visualisation.

Last edited:

hsquier

Aaahhh ....
At last finished main work :

Every one in now inside :
20210411_104228.jpg 20210411_105251.jpg

Made for the first time glass fibre control horns. It gives a nice and neat finish :
20210411_171414.jpg 20210411_112056.jpg

20210411_171537.jpg

20210411_171643.jpg

Just now waiting flyable weather to come.
256 gr, 12,8 dm2, 20 gr/dm2

20210411_171554.jpg

Yes, as a profile RC it's slim.

If it flies good : paint job. This thread comes to its end.

BoredGuy

Aaahhh ....
At last finished main work :

Every one in now inside :
View attachment 197737 View attachment 197736

Made for the first time glass fibre control horns. It gives a nice and neat finish :
View attachment 197734 View attachment 197735

View attachment 197730

View attachment 197732

Just now waiting flyable weather to come.
256 gr, 12,8 dm2, 20 gr/dm2

View attachment 197733
Yes, as a profile RC it's slim.

If it flies good : paint job. This thread comes to its end.
Great build, I was enjoying this thread too :(

hsquier

Thank you BoredGuy !! Very kind of you to say that. And Thomas, it's noted , so this will be before last post.

Because she flew well ! :D

20210418_141400.jpg

As I like : it flew straight and gentle, not a touch on trims ! And correctly balance on CG.
My first word was : Soooo Cute !!!
Goes where you want, gently, slowly.
Well don't expect arrows lines, 250 gr make it sensitive to any air changes and lot of skills are needed for large nice figures.
The only remarque would be on prop size (9 - 4.7) : too big and induced strange gyroscopic behaviour in all rotations (no problem with straight lines). 8 - 4.7 would be better.
And when you play too low too slow, happens what happens, it falls. Felt 2/3 times but absolutely no harm, thank you to low wing loading resulting in slow fly.
... I looove it.

Thank you to all. Last post will be family picture as demanded ! ;)

PS : won't be paint job I (am lazy) like it as it is.