Has anyone built an A10 Warthog yet - with EDF ?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I am just in the process of starting my scratch build FT Edge, this will be followed by a Sea Otter (everyone should have one sea plane).

After that I had planned to build a Master Series (probably the Mustang) or even the Simple Stick if Flite Test ever get around to releasing the free plan (some time in this millenium).

However, at the back of my mind I have had a hankering to build the A-10 Warthog, ever since the episode on Flite test with the Tank.

However, 3 things have put me off:
1. The size - Storage and building space is limited, I have an attic full of FT planes. Transporting it to the field, will it fit in my car and finally cost of foam (It uses a fair few sheets).
2. I hate the painting stage of model building and thats a big model to paint. Unless I start spraying with cans or buy a new quality airbrush.
3. Dont get me wrong, I love my prop driven planes. However, this would be one model that needs to be EDF powered. Unfortunately I have no experience building or flying with EDF motors, let alone twin EDF's.

I am interested in any experience anyone has with this model, particularly if it helps me to make a decision whether to build or not.

Any advice will be greatly recieved.

flyingkelpie

Elite member
I don't know about making EDF but would love to see the A-10 with EDF on it. Could you put up a post of the final product if you do end up making it?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I don't know about making EDF but would love to see the A-10 with EDF on it. Could you put up a post of the final product if you do end up making it?[/Q
No problem but dont hold your breath it could be late next year before I get around to it, a long list of jobs and projects preceed it ;)(y)

flyingkelpie

Elite member
I know what you mean. I think you'll be one of the first people to do it cause I can't find anyone online who has done it.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Not a true EDF motor system, he is using 2 radial motors with 3 blade props mounted in circular ducts. A dedicated EDF will have between 11 and 12 blades !

earl38

Well, did anyone do it?
I'm in the process, but havent flown it yet. just got a 3D printer and this was my first project with it.
Also adding retracts and rudders. Pretty big plane so I'm hoping twin 70mm EDF's are enough!

Attachments

• IMG_3837.JPG
    IMG_3837.JPG
    654.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3833.JPG
    IMG_3833.JPG
    533.5 KB · Views: 0

L Edge

Master member
I am just in the process of starting my scratch build FT Edge, this will be followed by a Sea Otter (everyone should have one sea plane).

After that I had planned to build a Master Series (probably the Mustang) or even the Simple Stick if Flite Test ever get around to releasing the free plan (some time in this millenium).

However, at the back of my mind I have had a hankering to build the A-10 Warthog, ever since the episode on Flite test with the Tank.

However, 3 things have put me off:
1. The size - Storage and building space is limited, I have an attic full of FT planes. Transporting it to the field, will it fit in my car and finally cost of foam (It uses a fair few sheets).
2. I hate the painting stage of model building and thats a big model to paint. Unless I start spraying with cans or buy a new quality airbrush.
3. Dont get me wrong, I love my prop driven planes. However, this would be one model that needs to be EDF powered. Unfortunately I have no experience building or flying with EDF motors, let alone twin EDF's.

I am interested in any experience anyone has with this model, particularly if it helps me to make a decision whether to build or not.

Any advice will be greatly recieved.

I consider the A-10 and the SR-71 to be tough birds to build with EDF's. If you build lite, the A-10 will be super fast with 70's. I have a set of cheap 5 bladed 64's, it hovers at about 1/2 throttle. It was built a number of years ago and my gut feeling told me it is not ready to fly. Now I have 2 additional things I am going to incorporate and see if it is a go. So working on it as of now.

I had to adapt the SR-71 to get it to fly. In fact, I chuck it to launch and if you follow the real flight rules of a SR-71, it floats on landing(have video). If you can fly a plane with rudder, you can adapt to EDF's by just keeping some power on while landing.

Whose plans did you intend to use?

a-10.JPG

L Edge

Master member
Well, did anyone do it?
I'm in the process, but havent flown it yet. just got a 3D printer and this was my first project with it.
Also adding retracts and rudders. Pretty big plane so I'm hoping twin 70mm EDF's are enough!

Like the mount you gave it.

earl38

I consider the A-10 and the SR-71 to be tough birds to build with EDF's. If you build lite, the A-10 will be super fast with 70's. I have a set of cheap 5 bladed 64's, it hovers at about 1/2 throttle. It was built a number of years ago and my gut feeling told me it is not ready to fly. Now I have 2 additional things I am going to incorporate and see if it is a go. So working on it as of now.

I had to adapt the SR-71 to get it to fly. In fact, I chuck it to launch and if you follow the real flight rules of a SR-71, it floats on landing(have video). If you can fly a plane with rudder, you can adapt to EDF's by just keeping some power on while landing.

Whose plans did you intend to use?

View attachment 220939

earl38

I started out with the original FliteTest A10 plans, but adjusted it to be more rounded (like the FT MasterSeries).
Thanks to SmithDoesStuff on Thingiverse for the 3D printed version of the nacelle frame. I made the “adapters” that hold the EDF’s in the nacelle frame (also on Thingiverse, but haven’t figured out how to link them to his framework). The biggest weight difference from the FliteTest A10 is my addition of retracts.

earl38

Moving very slow on this build, but I promise to post pics as I get closer to its maiden flight!
(my shop was pretty clean before starting this one!)

Attachments

• 3FA84147-88BD-4071-8ABE-6B5CA60204F5.jpeg
    3FA84147-88BD-4071-8ABE-6B5CA60204F5.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0