Having no rain means we can fly more... right?

Merck

I've used the (3) hobby king chargers and had one fail out quickly. I'm also not a big fan of having a seperate power supply. I picked this up and have been nothing but happy with it. Already has the power supply built in, but can also be plugged into a 12V (car battery) out at the field. I've had this for about a month. It has a loud fan when running, but I would rather have that than overheated charging components.

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
Are you using beginner mode? I have been flying to over two years, I have a bunch of FT planes and I still launch SAFE planes in beginners mode just to protect my investment.

I agree that this can be fixed pretty easily. I did far worse to my delta ray and it is still flying. Why don' you think you can repair the rip with tape? Post picture of it.

The third launch...

View attachment 74454

You can't see it from the picture but the wing has about an 1.5 inch rip by the aileron. Not something I can tape I think.

I am considering buying the BNF conscendo and use this one for parts.

dvystrcil

Just a personal feeling that its a bad rip. Like I said I will attempt it.

Now you have me second guessing my order for a new plane.

Yes, I had SAFE turned on. Saw the ailerons pivoting automatically and the plane only banked at shallow angles. When I got it up, it really wanted to stay up, if I added power it wanted to climb so I had it at 15~20% throttle until I decided the wind was in too much control and I felt I had to bring it back in. I landed pretty good on my first time down. It was not where I wanted it on the field, but it was on its belly. The second time I nose dived as I forced it down when I should have been correcting it. The third... well. I hit a tree.

It was a good feeling when it was up and flying. I really want to get out the the field as soon as I can and try again.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Pickup a roll of "3M Extreme Packing Tape" - the stuff with the threads running inside it. The adhesive is very strong, and it's nearly impossible to tear the stuff - has to be cut with knife or scissors. As example of the damage that can be repaired, I took a picture of my wing that I smashed into the ground this weekend. All fixed last night - no big deal. http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?8459-How-often-do-you-crash&p=304549&viewfull=1#post304549

I'd probably use either FOAM SAFE CA glue or Extreme Packing tape on the damage I see in the pictures. Make sure you don't use regular CA glue - it will melt the foam away into goo. (Learned that on my first plane the hard way! :) )

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Nope - that will melt your wing! The search terms are tricking you here - you need this one instead - note the very prominent "FOAM SAFE" label

https://www.amazon.com/GREAT-PLANES...586&sr=1-1&keywords=great+planes+foam+safe+ca

For the packing tape, I like staying with 3M brand because the adhesive is really strong on their more permanent tapes - any of their versions with reinforcing threads will do the trick like these ones:

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch®-Extr...73706682&sr=8-1&keywords=extreme+packing+tape

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Filam...9_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JK62RA374TNSSEKVC56F

And don't forget - the worst that can happen is it won't fly - and it's already at that point now. Nothing to lose but a couple bucks and a few minutes :)

Capt_Beavis

You can put a little glue in the rip and tape over it, it should be fine. It is amazing what can be repaired.

Yeah, SAFE isn't going to keep you from hitting a tree.

In beginner mode this plane does not want to put the nose down. which makes flying in the wind a chore. My delta ray has had issues in high wind where it wouldn't turn in beginner mode. I actually lost one that way not long ago. The Conscendo is a great plane, you will get enjoyment out of it for years.

Wait a few days and see how the repairs go before ordering another (in my opinion) although at that price with a 10% off coupon it isn't a terrible move. I would still fix and fly the broken one.

Just a personal feeling that its a bad rip. Like I said I will attempt it.

Now you have me second guessing my order for a new plane.

Yes, I had SAFE turned on. Saw the ailerons pivoting automatically and the plane only banked at shallow angles. When I got it up, it really wanted to stay up, if I added power it wanted to climb so I had it at 15~20% throttle until I decided the wind was in too much control and I felt I had to bring it back in. I landed pretty good on my first time down. It was not where I wanted it on the field, but it was on its belly. The second time I nose dived as I forced it down when I should have been correcting it. The third... well. I hit a tree.

It was a good feeling when it was up and flying. I really want to get out the the field as soon as I can and try again.

dvystrcil

I did not get the shipping confirmation yet, so I think there is still time for me to cancel my order....

*sigh*

Time to dive in feet first and fix this. I have ordered the glue and tape.

Update: The plane already shipped... that was fast.

Last edited:

dvystrcil

CA - Check
Re-enforced Tape - Check
Scissors - Check
X-acto knife - Check

Time to operate... I should have realized this stuff is like crazy glue. I have to peal it off my fingers. :p

IMAG0603.jpg IMAG0604.jpg IMAG0605.jpg IMAG0606.jpg IMAG0607.jpg IMAG0608.jpg IMAG0609.jpg IMAG0610.jpg IMAG0611.jpg IMAG0612.jpg IMAG0613.jpg IMAG0614.jpg IMAG0615.jpg IMAG0616.jpg

Capt_Beavis

Great job with the repairs. 3M/Scotch also makes plastic tape in colors and white that is good for covering holes and gouges. It also works great for repairing hinges on foamboard if you accidently cut through. It takes paint really well too.

treetopflyer

I have the imax b6 mini. It works great, I paid about 25 bucks for mine on gearbest or banggood, and got the AC power supply separatly from Amazon. It works excellent. I recommend it. It has lots of functions including storage mode.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Nice job on the repairs! Take extra care when you re-maiden it as flight behavior might be a little different (i.e. calm day - easy flight the first time looking for anything weird). Hopefully it will behave properly, but with repairs there is always a chance it will require trimming a little differently or react a little differently to wind/balance/etc. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

dvystrcil

Thanks All.

The next few weekends are packed so unless I can sneak out (HAHHAHHAHAH) I won't be able to report what happens next for awhile.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Its amazing what you can repair with a few toothpicks and some black RTV and use that packing tape to smooth out the lines.
That Fuselage repair would be the perfect place for that. You did well on the repairs using the other methods and that will surely fly for a long time and probably add a few more before it gets retired.

Yaroslaw

Looks great! Just don't overdo with reinforced tape, it add some weight to plane. In some places normal type tape (clear/white) might be enough, and 3M tape is already very strong as it is.
And check for CG after repairs, sometimes glue and tape shift it a bit (and batteries can sometime shift position, depending on aircraft).

Yaroslaw

As for charger - there are ORIGINAL "SkyRC" Imax B6 and there are clones.
Don't save $10, buy original. While most of clones are reasonably good, mine (from Banggood, which SHOULD be fine) started to work quirky very fast. It still balance charges 2-6s batteries, but 1s or 2s unbalances (I have few batteries without balance plug) or for that matter anything else that do not have balanced plug (lead batteries) is not charging as it should. And while original can be recalibrated (and would not have this problem from beginning!) clone needs to be soldered with possibly killing it.

So just pay $10 more (it's like $30-40) and buy original SkyRc. Or something better if you have budget.