Heinkel P.1076 Build

saiga556

Full of...
Got new wings cut and I am making patterns for later use.

I'm curious if anybody would be interested in hand drawn plans that people could scale to suite their needs. I don't really want to put the time into making sketchup versions. I can draft a set on paper so much faster. Let me know.

saiga556

Full of...
Update.

Version 2 is taking a while. Work has been hectic.

Wing remains the essentially the same for v2.

Fuselage will hopefully be much improved. Will still be the boxy FT style but the proportions will be closer to scale. Maybe I'll do a full on scale fuse this winter when time is more abundant.

I got a 2 inch spinner to replace the 1.75" that I was using before which will blend with the body better.

V2 will also have a much improved canopy.

Please give me any ideas or suggestion that you all might have.

saiga556

Full of...
Finally made a little progress on v2. Pink foam turtle deck.

Does anybody know a good really easy way to paint this foam?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Best way I know of is to prep with 400 grit, coat with tissue and WBPU. Then sand back again to remove wrinkles. Then paint with whatever. Its so porous that it will take a lot of paint directly to look ok. The little extra effort with tissue will make it go faster and look far superior.

saiga556

Full of...
Best way I know of is to prep with 400 grit, coat with tissue and WBPU. Then sand back again to remove wrinkles. Then paint with whatever. Its so porous that it will take a lot of paint directly to look ok. The little extra effort with tissue will make it go faster and look far superior.

What kind of tissue are we talkin here? My wife has a bunch of that tissue that you put in gifts. Is that suitable?

What do you guys think the weight difference would be with a full depron fuselage vs the foamboard box I have now?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Yep, thats the stuff. I use stuff from the dollar store. Other folks prefer Japanese tissue as it does not wrinkle as bad when it gets wet with the WBPU. The issue then becomes... it is no longer a cost-effective solution. I can get 40 sheets of tissue for a dollar... or 2 sheets of Japanese tissue for $5... on sale. See my point? The other alternative if you want more strength is to use 1/2oz. or 3/4oz. fiberglass cloth (or something like this) with WBPU. The kicker? it costs about as much as Japanese tissue... but you add enormous strength.

saiga556

Full of...
Prototype V2 Maiden.

Sorry no cameraman this time. Slightly gusty conditions. Air was bumpy.
She flew very well and flew fairly fast. for some reason it seemed like V1 was faster but I have no data to back this up. stall characteristics where very good. While stalling holding full up elevator the plane retained aileron control. Stall speed was also fairly low and the glide characteristics were good. Maybe V3 will get a thinner wing.