Hello Everybody From Tennessee

M2oseMarshall

Hello Everybody,

I am excited to place my first post on the Flitetest Forums!!! I am a 58 year old Science, Math, and Head Football Coach from a small school in Tennessee called Gordonsville High School in Gordonsville Tennessee. I started flying control line planes when I got my first Cox PT-19 control line plane with a Cox .049 engine when I was 10! Don't even know how many planes I have had since then. I for the past 20 year have flown mostly nitro planes with some electric planes thrown into the mix. I often talk about my planes to my students and have one, a Hanger 9 Spitefire, hanging in my classroom. The students have often wanted me to teach them how to fly, but have not been able to afford the cost.

I was online awhile back and the Explorer Video came up in the recommended videos in YouYube and I watched it and was amazed. I went to the Flite Test website and watch more videos, downloaded the plans for the explorer and decided I was going to build it and see how well it went together. I show the videos to my Science classes and many were amazed also. I decided right after Football season was over to see how many students in the school were interested in building RC Planes and flying them. I talked to my Principal and got his permission to start a RC Club! He agreed to let me meet with the student involved during our daily activity period that last for 30 minutes each day. I had it announced to the student body and met with them. My principal did not want more than 10 or 12 in the RC Club we now call the Flying Tigers (the tiger is our mascot.) I had over 60 kids at the meeting that were interested. I had an application that the students had to fill out and I had to go through them and choose twelve. After many hours I finally got it down to eighteen! We meet everyday during activity period like I mentioned above, but we also meet on the 1st Saturday of each month to fly and work on our planes together. Some Saturdays we work from 9 am to late afternoon. It has so far been a fun and exciting encounter for me and my Flying Tigers. They have all joined the AMA and now I am searching for two more teacher interested in joining the AMA so I can make an official AMA Flying Club. We fly our small plane on the Football Field and our larger ones on two farmers' fields that they have agreed to let us fly on.

Now that I have bored all of you to death, I just wanted to thank all of you in the Flite Test Forums, the Article authors, and you guys at Flite Test for wanting to share this great learning and enjoyable hobby with everyone. The plans you all let us have for free are amazing. Thank you Sponz for you draftsman work you do to share them with all of us. Josh, Josh, Peter and the rest of you guys at Flite Test do a wonderful job sharing all this information with us all. I have read so many articles, forums, and watched so many videos, I feel like I know all of you!

Flying Tigers.jpg
Flyer (1).jpg
Explorer.jpg

I have built the Explore four times now, one speed build and three from scratch. I have build the FT Flyer, FT Nutball, FT Delta from a speed build kit and also from scratch. My students loved the FT Sparrow and I have build it also. I am presently building the Mighty Mini Mustang and Corsair. My student have all built the Flyer and are now branching out and building what they want to build. They are excited to come to my classroom during activity period everyday!!!

Again, I just want to thank you all,

Ronald Marshall, Jr. (nickname - m2osemarshall)
Science and Math Teacher Gordonsville High School
Head Football Coach Gordonsville High School
email: m2osemarshall@hotmail.com

Happy Flying all

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Welcome to the FT forum!

Great stuff!!! Love hearing young people excited about the hobby! Good work Coach!

Fellow Volunteer,
Aaron

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Oh, If you haven't come across it yet. Look up Mesa RC on YouTube, they have a great program built around the design and build of foam plans geared toward middle and high schoolers.

M2oseMarshall

Thanks for the Kind Words

Thanks for the kind words BridgeInspector!!! And yes I have been to the MESA site and even have emailed Mr. Marshall and gave him a big congrads on what he has done there. He recommended that I join the FT STEM program, which I have!!! I just think that students can not get enough of problems solving practice and building DTFB planes is a great way to use scientific method to solve problems.

Thanks again,
Ronald Marshall