Hello! Glad to be here from Columbus, Ohio

Sauce

Hi all,

I just started into the RC fixed wing hobby this year during quarantine time. My main focus the past few years has been autocrossing and drifting so switching to RC has been very laid back (except for the crashing lol) and the FT kits help keep costs down big time! It's great to have that option when the PNP planes out there are so expensive to crash in comparison.

So far I have built and destroyed an FT Racer and Storch with a P40 in the works. There's also a small graveyard of Horizon Hobby products and a Durafly Brewster Buffalo that didn't make it through my "learning process" quite so well.

Coming from the car world it is a relief to find this community so welcoming and open. It's a characteristic that is missing from many hobby groups and I'm grateful to have found it here!

To all a good flight

-Andrew

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Welcome to the forums and the hobby! If you want a dedicated trainer I would suggest the FT tiny trainer. There are many people here that have learned flying using that plane. Good luck and have fun!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hi all,

I just started into the RC fixed wing hobby this year during quarantine time. My main focus the past few years has been autocrossing and drifting so switching to RC has been very laid back (except for the crashing lol) and the FT kits help keep costs down big time! It's great to have that option when the PNP planes out there are so expensive to crash in comparison.

So far I have built and destroyed an FT Racer and Storch with a P40 in the works. There's also a small graveyard of Horizon Hobby products and a Durafly Brewster Buffalo that didn't make it through my "learning process" quite so well.

Coming from the car world it is a relief to find this community so welcoming and open. It's a characteristic that is missing from many hobby groups and I'm grateful to have found it here!

To all a good flight

-Andrew
Hi Andrew,
Sounds like we may share a few similar interests in Columbus. Was into AutoCross a few decades, but would now qualify as a novice again. I fly with the Hilliard Model Airplane Club about a mile from my house. What part of town do you fly?

Cheers!
LitterBug

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Hi all,

I just started into the RC fixed wing hobby this year during quarantine time. My main focus the past few years has been autocrossing and drifting so switching to RC has been very laid back (except for the crashing lol) ...

-Andrew

i came from off road motorcycle racing and the best part about RC flight for me is i am no longer in/on the vehicle when it crashes! not that i ever crashed....that much. :ROFLMAO:

welcome to the madness.

me :cool:

Sauce

Welcome to the forums and the hobby! If you want a dedicated trainer I would suggest the FT tiny trainer. There are many people here that have learned flying using that plane. Good luck and have fun!

Thank you Ketchup! A tiny trainer would probably be a good move given my current flight-to-crash ratio

Hi Andrew,
Sounds like we may share a few similar interests in Columbus. Was into AutoCross a few decades, but would now qualify as a novice again. I fly with the Hilliard Model Airplane Club about a mile from my house. What part of town do you fly?

Cheers!
LitterBug

No way! I'm actually in Dublin right on the Hilliard line! I usually fly the Hilliard school fields as long as they're empty. I had no idea there was a flying club in Hilliard- I just sent them an email. Let me know if you want to fly sometime :)

i came from off road motorcycle racing and the best part about RC flight for me is i am no longer in/on the vehicle when it crashes! not that i ever crashed....that much. :ROFLMAO:

welcome to the madness.

me :cool:

Thanks mrjdstewart. I can relate to the not being in the crash anymore- foamboard airplanes are much more affordable to crash than miatas. Now I can crash every week instead of just once every few years! :D

LitterBug

Techno Nut
No way! I'm actually in Dublin right on the Hilliard line! I usually fly the Hilliard school fields as long as they're empty. I had no idea there was a flying club in Hilliard- I just sent them an email. Let me know if you want to fly sometime :)

Yuppers! We are a very small AMA club based on "common sense". We aim to keep it safe, simple, and fun. Dues are cheap compared to most AMA clubs, no meetings, everyone chips in and helps maintain the field. Some of the guys fly up at Hilliard Bradley which is only about a mile up the road from our field too. PM me and we can swap #s and we can get you out to the field for a visit.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Captain Video

Good Morning Sauce:
I also live in Central Ohio. I fly in Westerville at a Genoa MS when the field is clear. Hi Litterbug! I may have to check your club as well. Sauce, if there is anything I can do or you would like to meet to fly in Westerville, let me know. My two college age sons and I would love to have someone new at the field.

Sauce

Yuppers! We are a very small AMA club based on "common sense". We aim to keep it safe, simple, and fun. Dues are cheap compared to most AMA clubs, no meetings, everyone chips in and helps maintain the field. Some of the guys fly up at Hilliard Bradley which is only about a mile up the road from our field too. PM me and we can swap #s and we can get you out to the field for a visit.

Cheers!
LitterBug

I've flown at Hilliard Bradley as well! That's close to my apartment... man this just keeps getting better! :)

Good Morning Sauce:
I also live in Central Ohio. I fly in Westerville at a Genoa MS when the field is clear. Hi Litterbug! I may have to check your club as well. Sauce, if there is anything I can do or you would like to meet to fly in Westerville, let me know. My two college age sons and I would love to have someone new at the field.

Thank you Captain Video. Flying in Westerville sounds great! Aiming to finish the P-40 this week so I have something to fly again and I would definitely be willing come out there. I will let you know :)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Looking forward to it. Maybe Litterbug could come up as well?
Depends on the time and day. Need to do some maintenance on the mower at our field. (been one of those years) Hope to knock that out tonight... or at least know if it will require parts, gaskets, sealant or JBweld. I don't think hot glue will hold up on the engine. LOL

EDIT> well, that was simpler than I thought. Turns out the oil drain valve was loose in the block leaking oil everywhere, and a couple of the engine mount bolts were loose. Purrs like a kitten again, and no more dragon smoke....

Last edited: