Help dialing in a Tiny Trainer

Yags

Yesterday I barely managed 50 yards of flight in between each crash. Today it was as long as 5 minutes! And it was AWESOME! :D HOWEVER, I feel like I spent the whole time merely watching the plane instead of flying it! It only listened to my quiet suggestions to stay in the park begrudgingly.

I think I need help with adjustments to get it to fly right. I've heard other people say that the Tiny Trainer should level out and glide if you let off the sticks, but mine was constantly trying to stall or peel off into a sharp turn that required full opposite rudder to stop. I had to hold the nose down with the elevator the whole time to make it behave even a little bit! Any suggestions? Does this sound like a CG issue, or do I just need to add some up-elevator trim? Maybe I just need to practice?

Here's some video:

Winglet

Yep, I'd start with adding some weight to the nose. Looks like it is probably tail heavy.

trevoof

Have you checked the location of your CG? My Tiny Trainer flies quite nicely with the CG at the suggested balance point. As suggested by Winglet, add weights or shift the battery around till it balances nicely on the suggested balance points.

Once the CG is at the right place, try trimming the elevators such that it gives a nice glide (straight gentle descent) when you throw it without throttle (find some long grass or throw it at your bed with cushions).

Looking at your video, the plane seems to fly ok when you manage to get the nose down, so I suspect it might be the latter. If you have to put in excessive amount of clicks to trim the elevator, try repositioning the servo horn one spline "up".

Yags

Thanks for the quick replies! I did check the CG. I had to add some tape, BBQ skewers, and a golfball of clay to the tail to allow me to have the battery in the nose at all. I was excited that I could actually velcro the battery to the power pod at all today, so I aimed for a super-level balance. Maybe next time I'll aim a little nose heavy, as Bixler's saying goes. I'm heading outside to test the glide and set the trim now! Thanks!

slyke

I agree with the other suggestions to make sure it balances a little nose down at the CG. I also found I needed a fair amount of down thrust on the motor with the training wing. Otherwise the trim would be reasonable in a glide but under power it would pitch the nose up and the loose speed.
-Stephen

Yags

So I think I figured out that the trick is to set your CG WHERE THERE'S NO WIND :p The breeze was a little less consistent today, and my plane was bobbing all over while I was trying to balance it, even when I thought I was holding it out of the wind! I jumped back in my car to set my battery, and IT FLEW BEAUTIFULLY! I also wasn't scared to add some elevator trim this time.

Now I have a motor that's ill from crashing that I have to deal with, but at least the plane is gracefully floating around now, and it even goes where I tell it to! :D

slyke

Glad to hear you are on the right track. Getting a reasonable CG and neutral trim at cruising speed is key. The tiny trainer is a very fun plane to fly once you get it trued up.
-Stephen