• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Solved Help please: Best silver spray paint?

Monte.C

Of the commonly found rattle cans - Rustoleum and Krylon are the two that come to my mind first - What silver is most realistic-looking on a plane? I'm not concerned about the paint eating the foam, there are ways around that. But there are different silver colors I suppose, and aluminum, and the word "metallic" could mean different things. I'm sure we don't want something sparkly like with mini flecks in it. Thanks in advance!

Hoomi

This is with the Rustoleum "Bright Silver." The cap on the can looks like chrome. It took only one coat to cover the brown foam board, after which I added the color elements using Oracal 651 self-adhesive vinyl, and decals from Callie Custom Graphics. After everything was affixed, I added a couple of coats of clear to help seal the vinyl and decals.
Bunnie.jpg

Tench745

In my experience painting things other than foam board, just about every "silver" paint comes out pretty similar. My advice on silver spray paint in general is to pick a name brand and go with it as they all look about the same in the end.

There are some rattle cans that call themselves "chrome" that produce a much brighter finish which looks more like polished aluminum to me.
The downsides:
-Chrome paint really shows off any defects or texture changes
-If you clear coat over it, it looks like any other silver paint
-LOADS of solvents to get the paint to flow out and dry smooth.
-Stays tacky for a long time; easy to smudge until it's fully dry.

If you want the most polished aluminum appearance possible you can cover the plane with aluminum duct-sealing tape and polish it.

Monte.C

Thanks. I've been mostly afraid of winding up with a sparkly appearance, or wondering if one can be too shiny or whatever. A quick Amazon search leaves you more confused than anything else. Thanks for the tips.