help with Creality

kilroy07

Legendary member
I've had a bunch.... LOL
Currently I have a Ender 3 up and running and a CR-10 (cheap clone) waiting on me to wire up the electronics.
(I also have a Elegoo Mars, but that's another thread.)

sundown57

Legendary member
well i did have an ender 5 lol. from what i gather i can use settings from the ender 5 pro or cr 10. they both had the silent board. what i dont get is shouldn't i be able to compile successfully even if im not connected to the printer ? OH and BTW. thank you for the offer . thats pretty cool to know you got my back

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I was able to complile fine without connected to anything. Actually I never once plugged the printer to the computer. Compile , put bin on SD card , insert card to printer and power on. I did have some issues with compiling untill I got the git program figured out so that the compiler could fetch what it needed. After that it went fairly well. Only a small hicup that took me an hour or two to figure out after that. When I'd power off the printer is loose the firmware and have to do it all over again.

sundown57

Legendary member
I was able to complile fine without connected to anything. Actually I never once plugged the printer to the computer. Compile , put bin on SD card , insert card to printer and power on. I did have some issues with compiling untill I got the git program figured out so that the compiler could fetch what it needed. After that it went fairly well. Only a small hicup that took me an hour or two to figure out after that. When I'd power off the printer is loose the firmware and have to do it all over again.

what printer are you using it on and what version of marlin?

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I have an ender 3, and think I ended up with Marlin 2 bugfix. My board is different and my machine is different. But the videos I watched show where the things are to switch to different boards and bases. Reversing the motors. Which I had to do so it would home in the right spot. And setting the steppers ext. This trick for me was getting git Correct so visual basic code and platform io could fetch needed bits to finish the compile. I was pretty impressed with those softwares.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I did have my moments. Even a few embarrassing ones. I spent an hour or two trying to set the z offset for the bltouch. Everything I did didn't seem to change the offset. And the new firmware wasn't setup to beep when you press save settings. So I spent some time online and back and fourth. Only to have it Dawn on me that In one menu is adjust to perfect and read the number as .4 then go to add that to my offset that was -.97. I'd put in -.93 I did this so many times then it dawn's on me . Desimals! Felt so stupid. Had to laugh. I had other learning issues as well. Even rammed my printer head into the rail repeatedly till I pulled the plug. Change another setting :). I made it through. I am sure you will too. And you'll certainly have more knowledge about this than most when you are done :). Good luck. Keep at it

sundown57

Legendary member
my problem is i cant get my board to connect. It wont connect to cure and when i use marlin it says it cant communicate with it .

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I only tried to get my board to connect once and it didn't work straight away due to no git I think when visual studio code software tried to connect. That is why I never tried to connect it again. My card has a bootloader. So I was able to just take the compiled .bin file and put it on the SD card. When I power up the printer. It gets loaded. If yours doesn't have a boot loader all I can say is I am sorry and good luck. If you had PC id suggest trying out hose softwares.

sundown57

Legendary member
mine is supposed to have a bootloader already. my problem is it refuses to connect to cura or any other program. the computer sees it and says its installed but nothing.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Oh. I just found that visual studio code does have a Mac version. All I can say is maybe it will play nicer with your card. Worth a shot when you get to the end of your rope at least

sundown57

Legendary member
when i bought the new board it came as an ender 3 . i have a 5 the x axis is wrong. it did not have thermal runaway enabled and no bltouch. so i have to add all that. and tell it its in a 5 machine not 3 . send me a link to the program your using ill try it

Zetoyoc

Elite member
All that can be done without the connection. Here are some links. Although in the first video I posted it walks you though getting and installing them.
Visual studio code
Platform io is installed from vsc. Via extensions . Git I have no idea. When it didn't work the first time the the compiler said failed . Then reasons then said get git and had a link.
I hope it helps

sundown57

Legendary member
ok yeah i spend like 2 days on that one, i got it all configured and it checked out fine . went to upload and it cant connect to sanguino board . or cant define it or some crap. didnt work

sundown57

Legendary member
i don't believe I bricked it, it still works just not right. Anyway, I finally admitted defeat and took it over to the local VOC school. they said they have a 3d printer class and he's pretty sure even one of his freshmen could get it working. I bet he's right lol