Help with FPV Equipment

Simdor

This will be a quite extensive post about my first FPV equipment for the long term. I like to do my research before I invest in anything expensive, rather then just go and buy it. That's why I would like to ask a couple of questions, but also if you could confirm my statements and suggest new items instead of the current equipment I would appreaciate it very much. Budget around 400-450$

Questions:
1. Where do you buy your FPV equipment?

2. Do all goggles with an antenna on them have a built-in video receiver?

3. Do you guys think it would be better with a built-in or buy a individual receiver?

4. Do I go with a pair of circular polarized antennas or buy a patch antenna?

5. Is there some special cables I need in order to fly trough the GoPro and how do you think the quality is compared to a smaller onboard camera? Also, if you would go with a smaller onboard camera, do you choose CCD or CMOS?

6. Is there an OSD you guys could recommend that has airspeed, altitude and battery status for about 50$?

7. In future I might get a LCD screen to have a "passanger", do most Fatshark goggles have the function to use both the goggles and the screen at the same time (I believe it's called dual output)?

Where to buy:
Even though I feel quite clear of my components, I still feel hesitant of where to buy it. Now, of course I always have Hobbyking (with free shipping on FPV products), but do they have high quality stuff? ImmersionRC are told to have good quality on their products, but in order to hand pick each component, they don't have much to choose from. Where do you buy your FPV equipment?

Goggles
Here's where I want to make a well thought-out investment. The goggles will obviously be the most expensive and I want to make sure I truly understand the functions of the goggles and how they might suite me. The first thing I would like to know is (and this might sound like a noob-question): Do all goggles with an antenna on them have a built-in video receiver? A related question around the video receiver is, if you guys think it would be better with a built-in or buy a individual receiver?

I know David recommends the Fatshark Attitude SD but I would like to know what other goggles that might be right for me and my budget. For example the Fatshark Dominator V2 from Hobbyking or the Boscam True? As you can see I am open for suggestions around the goggles. However, I'm sure I do want goggles and not a LCD screen, even though most people recommend a screen for beginners.

Video Transmitter
Apparently 900MHz is illegal in Sweden and am using a 2.4GHz radiosystem, that leaves me 1.2GHz and 5.8GHz. Based on the most popular and used frequency I will probably have to go with the 5.8GHz system. I believe most people would agree with me? 5.8 GHz seems to be the most simple system aswell, even though I would like to go around a tree without interference....However, instead of just settle with a 200mW video transmitter, I decided to go with the larger one right away. Most people seems to start with a 200-300mW system and after a couple of months buy a larger 500-600mW. That's why I probably will go with the larger 500-600mW system right away.

I did have one question about video transmitters, and that's what antenna to use. Do I go with a pair of circular polarized antennas or buy a patch antenna?

Camera
I do own a GoPro Hero 2 and from what I've heared people either love using them or hate using them. If it's possible to fly trough the GoPro I rather do that than spending 60$ on a CCD or CMOS onboard camera.Is there some special cables I need in order to fly trough the GoPro and how do you think the quality is compared to a smaller onboard camera? Also, if you would go with a smaller onboard camera, do you choose CCD or CMOS?

OSD
I don't have a lot of knowledge about the OSD or know how it functions in flight. What I would like to have is airspeed, altitude and battery status. Based on my budget 400-450$ I would use what remains of the money to buy an OSD. Is there an OSD you guys could recommend that has airspeed, altitude and battery status for about 50$?

Random question: In future I might get a LCD screen to have a "passanger", do most Fatshark goggles have the function to use both the goggles and the screen at the same time (I believe it's called dual output)?

Thanks, really appreciate your help!

/Simon

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I'll answer what I can: yes, you can fly through a Gopro. Yes, you need a special cable.
I'd strongly recommend looking at RCexplorer.se. David does a great job of explaining everything FPV over several articles, and even has a "which antennae" section in several articles.

Simdor

Hey thanks Foam Addict! I've been reading a lot on RCexplorer and David sure does write some great articles. I've been reading his "FPV Starting Guide" several times. However, I would like some more answers, my expectations was to get a couple more question solved.

KJ4CCH

Where to buy:
getfpv.com
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ <--best
hobbyking.com
http://hobbywireless.com/

Goggles
run with what is good. remember, the FPV equipment that you will more than likely use only transmits standard def. so anything over 700 is kinda useless. I think 320 is good enough to fly normally FPV, nothing too crazy, but you you wanna grow into a sporty type of flying, go outright for the 620 (or 640). Go with what you can afford. If you are looking for a clean set up...integrated Rx is for you. If you like to tinker... go with something else. This hobby is all about you, not us. I fly on a car monitor taped to my head...works and it was only 15 bucks...about to move to fatsharks though.

Video Transmitter
What are you flying? what do you want fly? long range flying can be done on 5.8 ghz, your just gonna do more work on your station. 1.2 is good for long range stuff, and object penetration. Trade off is that the antenna systems are large. So if you are flying a small quad, 5.8 is a good idea. If you are flying a big airplane, you have more options. As for antennas, again its what you want to do. I know a lot of people who fly linear (including myself). Its is good for getting good distance. But it also has its trade offs.

Camera
I hear that gopros can randomly shutdown? I used a board camera...the 600 tvl camera from securitycamera2000 works great!

OSD
if its your first time with fpv....do this later...go have fun.

Random question: In future I might get a LCD screen to have a "passanger", do most Fatshark goggles have the function to use both the goggles and the screen at the same time (I believe it's called dual output)?

you can use a splitter? it may degrade the quality of the video, but the passenger can still see whats up and have fun.

edit...this will work if you have an external Rx... and I think the goggles have an external port. Might wanna look into that man.

Check this out...its soo helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?
list=PL_80ycLeLF7IS_aUiIZiFW4Vr8ITKuiF-

have fun man!

/Simon

Simdor

Where to buy:
getfpv.com
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ <--best
hobbyking.com
http://hobbywireless.com/

Goggles
run with what is good. remember, the FPV equipment that you will more than likely use only transmits standard def. so anything over 700 is kinda useless. I think 320 is good enough to fly normally FPV, nothing too crazy, but you you wanna grow into a sporty type of flying, go outright for the 620 (or 640). Go with what you can afford. If you are looking for a clean set up...integrated Rx is for you. If you like to tinker... go with something else. This hobby is all about you, not us. I fly on a car monitor taped to my head...works and it was only 15 bucks...about to move to fatsharks though.

Video Transmitter
What are you flying? what do you want fly? long range flying can be done on 5.8 ghz, your just gonna do more work on your station. 1.2 is good for long range stuff, and object penetration. Trade off is that the antenna systems are large. So if you are flying a small quad, 5.8 is a good idea. If you are flying a big airplane, you have more options. As for antennas, again its what you want to do. I know a lot of people who fly linear (including myself). Its is good for getting good distance. But it also has its trade offs.

Camera
I hear that gopros can randomly shutdown? I used a board camera...the 600 tvl camera from securitycamera2000 works great!

OSD
if its your first time with fpv....do this later...go have fun.

you can use a splitter? it may degrade the quality of the video, but the passenger can still see whats up and have fun.

edit...this will work if you have an external Rx... and I think the goggles have an external port. Might wanna look into that man.

Check this out...its soo helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?
list=PL_80ycLeLF7IS_aUiIZiFW4Vr8ITKuiF-

have fun man!

/Simon

In fact, I've already placed my order! I got a ton of help on RCGroups.com and met a couple of super friendly guys who discussed my system. After 3 full pages of post we decided to go with these components:

List of components:

Skyzone FPV Goggles 5.8GHz Dual Diversity - 408.99$
ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz Audio/Video Transmitter (600mw) - 69.99$
Hobbyking G-OSD 3 Mini OSD System w/GPS Module - 40.39$
RMRC-700XV 700TVL ATR CCD (PAL) - 89.99$
5.8 GHz Bluebeam Ultra Antenna Set (RHCP) IBCrazy - 64.95$
5.8 GHz 5 Turn Helical (Can Be Goggles Mounted) (9.5 dBic) (IBC) - 32.99$

Total: 710$

However, thank you very much for your response Simon! Happy flying!

/Simon

ericf

In fact, I've already placed my order! I got a ton of help on RCGroups.com and met a couple of super friendly guys who discussed my system. After 3 full pages of post we decided to go with these components:

List of components:

Skyzone FPV Goggles 5.8GHz Dual Diversity - 408.99$
ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz Audio/Video Transmitter (600mw) - 69.99$
Hobbyking G-OSD 3 Mini OSD System w/GPS Module - 40.39$
RMRC-700XV 700TVL ATR CCD (PAL) - 89.99$
5.8 GHz Bluebeam Ultra Antenna Set (RHCP) IBCrazy - 64.95$
5.8 GHz 5 Turn Helical (Can Be Goggles Mounted) (9.5 dBic) (IBC) - 32.99$

Total: 710$

However, thank you very much for your response Simon! Happy flying!

/Simon

What did you end up using for a radio system?

Simdor

What did you end up using for a radio system?

2.4GHz Spektrum DX6i with full range AR6200 reveiver. Should me a good radio signal, and quite far range. Even though I won't fly long range, I think it's a safe bet, right?

ericf

2.4GHz Spektrum DX6i with full range AR6200 reveiver. Should me a good radio signal, and quite far range. Even though I won't fly long range, I think it's a safe bet, right?

That is what I currently have for my LOS stuff. It sounds like you can use spektrum, but it is very easy to accidentally fly out of range and get locked out. It also takes a while to re-establish the connection if it ever does. I am planning on purchasing the taranis tx and using an open source lrs or ezuhf module. I'm not planning on flying super long range either, but I don't even want to risk losing my radio connection.

Simdor

That is what I currently have for my LOS stuff. It sounds like you can use spektrum, but it is very easy to accidentally fly out of range and get locked out. It also takes a while to re-establish the connection if it ever does. I am planning on purchasing the taranis tx and using an open source lrs or ezuhf module. I'm not planning on flying super long range either, but I don't even want to risk losing my radio connection.

Based on your experience, how long range would you say a DX6i with the AR6210 receiver should have? I don't think I will ever fly futher than 1 mile away, would my radio system handle it?

ericf

Based on your experience, how long range would you say a DX6i with the AR6210 receiver should have? I don't think I will ever fly futher than 1 mile away, would my radio system handle it?

I don't know if I have enough experience to answer that question, but I wouldn't fly any 2.4ghz radio equipment that far. You may be able to do it, but if your radio goes into fail safe and locks out, you are going down a mile down range. I'd get an lrs system for anything other than Los.

KJ4CCH

eh dont push your luck. It all can vary with what is out in the environment. Just stay with in line of sight, or slightly beyond that until you get better with the whole flying under the hood thing. But congrats on the new equipment!!!

Your range can vary from RF noise levels (if you fly inner city or something, it will be higher, while in the country it normally would not be as high) as well as a few other things that affect radio propagation. Just stay close for now, the most fun you have FPV is normally in front of you....unless your into straight line flyin.

meanwhile enjoy what you got! you definitely are stuck in the hobby now hahah.

Simdor

I live in a quite remote place with tons of fields so I don't think RF noise will be a problem. In fact, their's some fields big enough to actually do a range check without passing any trees. Maybe I will go out and just test the range of my different receivers....

However, the RMRC-700XV 700TVL ATR CCD (PAL) camera and the two antennas, 5.8 GHz Bluebeam Ultra Antenna Set (RHCP) IBCrazy and 5.8 GHz 5 Turn Helical (9.5 dBic) just arrived. Looks awesome, can't wait for the goggles, video transmitter and the OSD! This will be a blast!

Yeah I won't fly futher than 200-300 meters (900 feet) the first 100 flights...I am telling ya, with that equipment on the plane, I would not want to loose it.

bprodgers21

These guys are right - Spektrum is very hit-or-miss when it comes to FPV. In fact, if you mention "Spektrum" and "FPV" in the same sentence over at FPVLab you'll get quite a flaming! True be told, you'll probably be okay as long as you run a quality, full-range receiver and keep it within 500 meters.

KJ4CCH

These guys are right - Spektrum is very hit-or-miss when it comes to FPV. In fact, if you mention "Spektrum" and "FPV" in the same sentence over at FPVLab you'll get quite a flaming! True be told, you'll probably be okay as long as you run a quality, full-range receiver and keep it within 500 meters.

Yeah he isnt lying. I use 72 mhz on everything....simply because its what I got. But I have a quad (suck at it) and a glider (flown planes for more than a decade now). I have yet to make it to the mile mark.

But you must have went crazy haha! take your time setting it all up, post some pics of your set up! I am interested to see haha!

Simdor

Like I said, I won't fly anywhere near the 0.5 miles from start. I did some testing this morning with the AR6210 full range receiver and the orange receiver from Hobbyking. The AR6210 managed about 0.7 miles and the orange receiver 0.5 miles. My safety facor of flying 0.25 miles away is quite good. Besides that, my trusty DX6i have never failed on me during three years.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Just FYI, because I noticed momentary brownouts on my FPV configured FT Blunt Nose Versa Wing (ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8GHz VTX, Lemon-RX DSM2 10ch satellite RX, Dx6i TX), I decided to install an APM 2.6 (on order) with GPS so that I can program in RTL, Geo-fence, etc. It may be overkill, but since I calculate a 30 minute flight time with my 2600mAh battery, I can even program it to fly distance with waypoints for some aerial mapping/photography.

KJ4CCH

Just FYI, because I noticed momentary brownouts on my FPV configured FT Blunt Nose Versa Wing (ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8GHz VTX, Lemon-RX DSM2 10ch satellite RX, Dx6i TX), I decided to install an APM 2.6 (on order) with GPS so that I can program in RTL, Geo-fence, etc. It may be overkill, but since I calculate a 30 minute flight time with my 2600mAh battery, I can even program it to fly distance with waypoints for some aerial mapping/photography.

wow 30 min? I wish I was not dumb and could make one haha....ill try again one day. But you can do waypoints ect. thats pretty damn cool man.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Yeah, the Versa Wing is a great design, and I can get an incredible amount of flight time with an 8x4 prop paired with an EMAX 2210/11 motor (the "beef" package) and 20A ESC. It's a really easy build as well, and great for FPV and I suspect for the autopilot missions I want to try. I think if I can make one, anyone can. The original Versa was my second flite test build (FT22 was first), and I actually found it was easier to build than the FT-22. If you get a speed build kit, it's a lot easier. Also, the power packages from the different sellers (Lazertoyz, Altitude Hobby, Grayson Hobby) are really good value especially if time is factored in.