help with zmr250 flight settings and general quadcopter flight.

Ok guys so ive been practicing with my zmr 250 at least a couple of days a week for a few months now. After several broken props, and fpv antennas. I decided to take a step back and get me a blade inductrix bnf. I really have no trouble at all flying this little quad in safe mode. Turn that off however and its way too touchy and my reaction time just isn't good enough for angle mode.

Some difference ive noticed between to the 2 quads is the little inductrix is way more stable in horizon mode than my zmr 250. I am not sure if this is just because of how much more power my zmr250 has or if I need to adjust some settings.
I can hover my zmr 250. I can turn it full 360 degrees using left stick. The issue isn't until I try to maintain forward flight. It hovers roughly at about 30%- 40% throttle.

when I apply slow forward momentum it isn't much of an issue. When I apply normal forward flight I have to compensate by adding throttle or it wont maintain altitude in forward motion. Then as I enter a turn and it slows down coming out of the turn if I don't drop the throttle precisely. It wants to gain altitude. So most of my flights end up looking like someone who is bobbing up and down in the air and doesn't have much control or confidence in where the quad will end up.

Some info about my quad sunnysky 2204 2300kv, bl heli 20a esc,5x3 props, naze 32 acro board running latest beta flight2.8.1, 200mw tx, runcam fpv
Ive took screenshots of some settings that you guys might want to know not sure what to look for or adjust.
1 cleanflight.jpg 2 clean.jpg 3.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
What do you have your expo's set to? That is usually set on the receiver tab in clean flight. OR as I do I set it in my radio and have zero expo in clean flight. Unlike airplanes that are roughly 30% expos Quads seem to be an average of 70% on roll and pitch expo. Yaw is personal preference but usually between 0 and 20%

As far as the ballooning in turns that's a matter of throttle management that comes with practice. You tilt forward and have to add throttle to keep the quad level and not go into a dive. When turning you tend to back off pitch and if you don't yaw hard and do more of a sliding turn and ballooning will happen as you are experiencing. Quads are very stick intensive to fly smoothly. It all comes with practice and a little mind training.

Do you fly on a simulator at all? If not I would suggest you look into one as they are cheap these days and will really up your skills fast.

What do you have your expo's set to? That is usually set on the receiver tab in clean flight. OR as I do I set it in my radio and have zero expo in clean flight. Unlike airplanes that are roughly 30% expos Quads seem to be an average of 70% on roll and pitch expo. Yaw is personal preference but usually between 0 and 20%

As far as the ballooning in turns that's a matter of throttle management that comes with practice. You tilt forward and have to add throttle to keep the quad level and not go into a dive. When turning you tend to back off pitch and if you don't yaw hard and do more of a sliding turn and ballooning will happen as you are experiencing. Quads are very stick intensive to fly smoothly. It all comes with practice and a little mind training.

Do you fly on a simulator at all? If not I would suggest you look into one as they are cheap these days and will really up your skills fast.

Here is my rates setup I don't have any expo at all setup in the radio. How does this look? I understand the throttle management. I have no issue with the inductrix at all. I have phoenix flight sim and can fpv on there with the quadcopters no issue as well. I'm not sure if the real world experience messes up my nerves where I can't concentrate as well or what. Ive been flying rc for years so orientation isn't a issue but maybe I just need more practice.

4.png

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I just tried a luxfloat setup by Skitzo for my versacopter. RC rate was set to 115 but the roll rate and pitch rates were way down at 30 yours are set to 70 so I assume your quad may be a tad twitchy. Specially when you only have 10% RC expo. Id start by upping RC expo to .7 and see how that feels. You will still have crazy pitch and roll but your center sticks will be much more docile. See how that behaves and if you like the "feel" of it Then if its still giving you problems then cut down the roll rate and pitch rates down a touch. You can always go back and change settings if handling gets worse so make any changes to rates in small increments. I think just upping your expo will help you a lot though.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
You probably just need to do some PID tuning and play with your rates/expo until it feels comfortable. Bad turns and lack of control are a sign of poor PIDs.

Darkback2

I feel like I am just starting to get my PID settings to where they should be. It is like flying is a whole new experience. Check out
. He also goes into how to do it using blackbox which isn't available to me because of the controller I use.

best of luck!

DB

thanks for the video. I will go watch that in a few minutes after I get done with my brew of coffee no sleep for me tonight