Hobbico Flightstar Trainer Restoration

Bo123

Elite member
EDIT: As @FlyingTyger has informed me, this is not a Goldberg Eagle, but a Hobbico Flightstar. Ingnore everywhere it says Eagle.

I recently was donated a Goldberg Eagle from a club member at a fun fly the other day. Its not in the best shape, however I plan to restore it to a good condition.
I have never done any balsa building, so any help would be appreciated. Also, its meant to be a tricycle, but I don't like the look of tricycles, so I am going to make it Taildragger, because taildraggers are cool.

1647992982482.png

Last edited:

bisco

Elite member
i prefer tail draggers too, especially since i fly off grass. good luck with the build, i like balsa, but hate covering.

TooJung2Die

Master member
That's a classic worthy of restoration. It'll be fun to watch.

i prefer tail draggers too, especially since i fly off grass.

I always flew tail draggers until I built the Willie Nillies Eaglet and Jr Skylark. I noticed they are more likely to land on their wheels in grass than tail draggers. The Jr Skylark never flips over on its nose. But since their wheels are so small I always have to hand launch them.

bisco

Elite member
maybe it's the grass length, or the models i have tried (aeroscout/fms ranger) but neither will take off or land without nosing in.

Bo123

Elite member
The grass at my club is usually pretty short.
That's a classic worthy of restoration. It'll be fun to watch.

I always flew tail draggers until I built the Willie Nillies Eaglet and Jr Skylark. I noticed they are more likely to land on their wheels in grass than tail draggers. The Jr Skylark never flips over on its nose. But since their wheels are so small I always have to hand launch them.

Bo123

Elite member
0F0D40CD-57CB-4104-82C1-5927869124A8.jpeg

Forgot to post this image. I managed to get some LG from the side of the road, and that motor too! Not gonna use that motor, as its wayyy to big. Might sell it?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
When converting from gas/glow to electric a lot of times the power systems are much lighter - which causes a need for additional balancing weight in the nose to get the CG back in the wing. So even though that motor might have more watts than you really need for this plane, it could still be useful in there. After all, if the plane needs extra weight to balance, might as well have it be functional weight :D

Last edited:

Bo123

Elite member
When converting from gas/glow to electric a lot of times the power systems are much lighter - which causes a need for additional balancing weight in the nose to get the CG back in the wing. So even though that motor might have mower watts than you really need for this plane, it could still be useful in there. After all, if the plane needs extra weight to balance, might as well have it be functional weight :D
Hmmm, thanks. I was planning on keeping it a gasser for now, but we shall see....

Bricks

Master member
Just an FYI Gasser is gasoline engine Glow is Nitro fuel, just might be confusing if needing help down the road.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I have a 100% Eaglet that I built 95+% from balsa instead of lite ply and it's electric w/a junk 480 motor. I want to build a full size Eagle2/Eagle 63 using 3D designed and printed formers, ribs etc. Whatever I can create in TinkerCad I'll do as I did for the electric Eaglet 50 and a few other designs. I've just gotta have an Eagle 63/Eagle 2 electric. Gotta find a FREE set of plans online that I can create from. Maybe I'll just get creative and save a set of plans larger than the Eaglet 50. I've been flying for well over 40+ years and STILL remember/love the the maiden of my first Goldberg Eaglet 50! You simply can't have too many of THE BEST flying airplane no matter your experience.

Joe

Bo123

Elite member
I have a 100% Eaglet that I built 95+% from balsa instead of lite ply and it's electric w/a junk 480 motor. I want to build a full size Eagle2/Eagle 63 using 3D designed and printed formers, ribs etc. Whatever I can create in TinkerCad I'll do as I did for the electric Eaglet 50 and a few other designs. I've just gotta have an Eagle 63/Eagle 2 electric. Gotta find a FREE set of plans online that I can create from. Maybe I'll just get creative and save a set of plans larger than the Eaglet 50. I've been flying for well over 40+ years and STILL remember/love the the maiden of my first Goldberg Eaglet 50! You simply can't have too many of THE BEST flying airplane no matter your experience.

Joe
Can't wait!

Bo123

Elite member
F6C52C90-8ACE-4DF2-A7AC-74FE7CECCB16.jpeg
Yeah I couldn’t be bother forking out for a gas engine.
334547EE-3B84-4CD0-9C36-EF71D9619118.jpeg

And yes, I couldn’t be bothered forking out for more covering film. Just used the stuff I have. This is my first time covering a balsa plane……. as you can see.
6CD9EE87-89AF-436B-A56A-98B8B6B7B190.jpeg

TooJung2Die

Master member
And yes, I couldn’t be bothered forking out for more covering film. Just used the stuff I have. This is my first time covering a balsa plane……. as you can see.
I think you just need more heat on the wing. Do you have a heat gun? They work very well for shrinking large areas like wings. I used to hate covering. You get better with practice. When I look at my first covering jobs I'm tempted to strip it all off and start over but a wrinkle here and there doesn't seem to affect it's ability to fly. You don't see wrinkles when it's up in the sky.

Bo123

Elite member
I think you just need more heat on the wing. Do you have a heat gun? They work very well for shrinking large areas like wings. I used to hate covering. You get better with practice. When I look at my first covering jobs I'm tempted to strip it all off and start over but a wrinkle here and there doesn't seem to affect it's ability to fly. You don't see wrinkles when it's up in the sky.
No I dont have a heat gun. I had to use a hair dryer up close.