Hobby King Mini Skywalker 840mm FPV

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
So BMSweb, I've heard from a lot of people that the flying tenancies of the larger skywalker don't scale down well to the mini skywalker and that it is a terrible flying plane, yet you seem to love it. Any idea why?

For my 2 cents I don't know why people have issues with it... There are minor things that could be improved for a better out-of-the-box experience, but these aren't out of reach of the average modeller methinks...

glydr

How many letters do we ge
+1

Great little plane, especially for the price. I don't fpv so can't comment from that perspective.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I can honestly say that when/if this plane ever dies I will buy it again.

I almost got the chance to put this statement to the test today. I took my Mountain Models Switchback and Mini Skywalker out to fly at lunch today. The Mini Skywalker was first to warm up my thumbs before the maiden flight of the Switchback. 30' later the Skywalker was in two pieces. I haven't figured out if it was pilot error or mechanical problems yet, but it was probably my fault. The tail boom snapped off behind the CF, so it'll be an easy fix. The hardest part will be re-soldering the tiny servo wires.

Oh well, I didn't have any other planes that I wanted to work on right now, and now I do. That boom certainly is a weak point - if I build another Skywalker I'll go with a longer CF boom as well as a little CF to support/strengthen the horizontal stabilizer.

The maiden flight on the Switchback went great - two batteries, a bunch of touch-and-go's, and it's ready to go when the weather is good again.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Sorry G. I like to recycle...

I only don't like the LOSer joke, because I'm the one who flies LOS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this guy isn't a loser...

mqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Haha! He's living the dream!

Speaking of which, I haven't heard any feedback from Tim after his first FPV flight...

ikem

i know this is old, but you guys made me get a mini Skywalker. it is all built and ready for a maiden. 298g AUW with battery :D

bmsweb

Site Moderator
That's fantastic, I still have mine and its an amazing little FPV model. The surprising thing is how well it handles the wind.

This was a flight on a really windy day and check out how well it lands at the end . . just jump towards the end of the video :)

ikem

hmm tried flying it tonight and i have no aileron control. and when i do get it, it ends up rolling into the ground. do i need more speed?