Hobby King Mini Skywalker - FPV Build

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Hahaha, someone's gotta show you how to land!!!

Unfortunately I think he did that :eek:

The worse part is I was so worried about my Mini Skywalker when he said he wanted to do an FPV launch and landing. It was windy and I knew he would need to be on the ball and forceful with the model . . and then the bugger goes and does a landing like that!!

Colorex
Sorry buddy but no more, I'm the dad, you know the guy that's supposed to be showing him how to do this stuff! Man I couldn't even land his little edf properly :eek:

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
Thomas !
You the man !
Very smooth FPV landing .. respect !

Paul,
Can you show some detailed pic on how you mounted the RC305 in the top of the pole ?
Looks like you got some sort of bracket for it ..

PaulT

Mentor
Paul
"Much to learn you still have...my old padawan." ... "This is just the beginning!"

Good job Thomas!!

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Paul,
Can you show some detailed pic on how you mounted the RC305 in the top of the pole ?
Looks like you got some sort of bracket for it ..
I'll be doing a video on the Bixler and the FPV ground station shortly and I'll cover everything I'm using. Its actually a Plastic Bracket Custom designed (using rapid prototyping) for the 305 that will mount it to 10mm tubing. I'm just using aluminum Tube for the mast.

Paul
"Much to learn you still have...my old padawan."
This is happening a little too often! Its not the landing we were expecting. Hey I'm pretty sure I can build stuff better than him

When will we see Thomas on the forum? :p
I would love to see him on the forum but it doesn't seem to be his thing at the moment. All his mates had FB a couple of years ago and kept on asking if he could have it too. We finally let him set up an account just over a year ago and he doesn't even look at it.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Paul, The greatest honor a youth can give his parents is to surpass their abilities. Thomas is well on the way. WAY TO GO Thomas. It is an absolute thrill to see a young man who takes instruction so well AND is able to apply it too.

Thomas your flight is best summed up "Qapla".

If your military gets hold of these videos they may try to recruit him as soon as he is of age to fly military drones. ;)

Thurmond

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Paul, The greatest honor a youth can give his parents is to surpass their abilities. Thomas is well on the way

Thomas your flight is best summed up "Qapla".

Thurmond, Based on that landing he is well on his way! lol I will pass on the Qapla! He will like that :) I have a feeling Qapla is about to change owners :)

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Yes he would, as would I :D I can't believe he got embarrassed with all the praise about his landing. I don't think he realized just how close he landed to us.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I aspire to be as good as he is! ;) I have only been in this (this time around since teen years) since last September. :rolleyes: Did not have time or money in the years between then and now. :(

Thurmond

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Did not have time or money in the years between then and now. :(

Thurmond
I know exactly what you mean. I was building Free Flight models as a kid, but only got into RC aircraft when I started working. I look at Thomas and I think boy he's got it made when compared to me, but I guess that what Daddies are for :D

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
Back to the build.
I must still start with mine but here is an idea on how I would use the special 'tube-plate' to mount my micro video Tx :

IMG_1545.JPG

Antenna pointed downwards and the wiring straight and clean into the fuse.
Got all the gear ready now to start !!

Mark.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Looks good, I can't wait to see how yours comes along . . that is if you get any time :)

We've been flying the Mini Skywalker heaps lately and its really an awesome plane. I still can't believe how well it handles the wind! I'm actually thinking of getting another one. Once I get the SD DVR, I should produce some pretty cool footage. I might even put a KeyChain Camera on it.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
How did you do the paintjob?

I used an Airbrush. Only thing I needed a stencil for was the Digital Camo and the Klingon Text and Logo. I'll get some good footage of it in the Air . . it looks really cool :)

BTW: The digital camo was my son's idea not mine. I think we get another one, the paint job on that will be awesome . . it will be my paint scheme this time.

Nonamerc

Arman
Buy a glassfiber skywalker and give it the australian airforce scheme. Skywalker is a copy of the american mq raven which spec ops and troops use in afghanistan..

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Buy a glassfiber skywalker

I don't think I want a full size one. This smaller FPV model is great because its so tiny and all I need is the Goggles, TX and model. I don't do long range with it but man its a lot of fun :)

My next big project will be a Wing, but it will take a while since I have heaps of design work to do first :(